Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New purchase 1854 seated liberty quarter, what do you think?

PppPpp Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭

I just picked up for $50- this 1854 seated liberty quarter arrows at date, no rays.
I think this is a Vf and maybe even a details grade (obverse her face looks a little funky to me)
What do the members involved with this series think?
Thank you in advance. 🙂

Comments

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the coin except for the scratch. Don’t know about the price (too lazy to look it up 🤪)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

In general, a nice old coin... Might get details if submitted due to that scratch.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF-25 details, but probably won’t get a straight grade because of cleaning. The area around Ms. Liberty’s arm that is holding the pole displays the original color. If the coin had original surfaces, the scratch might slip through given the grade.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF20, scratched, burnished. (I don't use the VF25 grade as few seem to want to pay any premium for it.) It is OK for a budget album collection. I wouldn't have paid anything close to $50 for it.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it would be a good choice for an album type set.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2021 3:59PM

I have been collecting Seated 25c since the 1990s. 1854 with arrows is a common date in a series that doesn't have many. Common dates in this series are difficult to sell unless they are choice examples that someone might buy as a single example of the type. When many examples of a given date are available, and only a few collectors attempt to complete the set by date, buyers will be fussy and pursue only the nicest examples at a given grade level. The scratch and small rim bumps are therefore a detriment on this VF30 details example, which would be hard to sell at a show. Inevitably, coins like this will be pursued by value buyers who want to get something for less than price guide values. A few minor defects wouldn't be the end of the world if it was an 1849-O or 1871-cc, two of the rare dates in the series.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t like it - scratched. Try to get nice slabbed ones.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2021 4:19PM

Nice pocket piece. This is my pocket piece…

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file