Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2021 Morgan Dollar CC Mint Mark...

I just noticed the terrible looking CC mint mark on the 2021 Morgans? It looks nothing like the original. Am I missing something or did the mint really screw this up?

Comments

• Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

Yes you are, the CC and the O were minted at Philadelphia (no mintmark). they have privy marks

(l8-)>>

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was some thought given to trying to use the Carson City equipment but something about it being cost prohibitive to restore the press. There’s some very good threads on this . The O mm situation had no chance as I recall.
    Personally I like the privy marks better than the teeny tiny mm on the others. 🤔

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭

IMO the "CC" is the most important feature of the coin and to have it altered...

I wouldn't even want one of these in my collection it just doesn't look right :(

• Options
    Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭

After looking more closely isn't the whole coin off? Why would they change it?

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the addition of the privy mark on coins but really wish that they had stayed with the original "CC" mint mark.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is what they term a 'privy' mark.... Indicating something and, in this case, indicating not actually minted at Carson City (or New Orleans)....but included to acknowledge the minting of the old coins at those two defunct mints. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file