Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How would you handle this situation as a buyer or seller ?

Seller put a coin up for presale. We agreed upon a price under the premise that when coin arrived to them they would mail it out and i would pay at roughly the same time. Meanwhile value of coin has dropped approx $100.00. I was thinking of contacting seller to let them know that i feel the original price is too high and we should renegotiate . The problem is i was taught that my word is my bond and i should honor the original price agreed on. What would you have done as a buyer or seller. The coin is not going to be sold by me as i want it for my collection.

Comments

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Price up and down all the time. If you like the coin go for it. little price change should not be a big deal.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

As above...how much is your word worth?

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

A deal is a deal.

• Options
    SonnyDSonnyD Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

I'll play the other side. I've been burned before, I've been given prices by dealers over the phone and when I arrive within the hour they have an excuse as to why the coin is now higher....and not by just a few dollars. Very frustrating but they didn't get my money and I don't do business with them anymore. So if you don't really care about doing continual business with them...take YOUR money and walk.
    Anything being "pre-sold" I can wait a year for the market to settle on for a decent price after release.

Ounce by ounce the stack grows .

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish more and more dealers/sellers on eBay with pre-sales of current Mint products felt the same way as the collectors here. Sadly, not the case.

peacockcoins

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SonnyD said:
    I'll play the other side. I've been burned before, I've been given prices by dealers over the phone and when I arrive within the hour they have an excuse as to why the coin is now higher....and not by just a few dollars. Very frustrating but they didn't get my money and I don't do business with them anymore. So if you don't really care about doing continual business with them...take YOUR money and walk.
    Anything being "pre-sold" I can wait a year for the market to settle on for a decent price after release.

So, you approve of the way this dealers treated you?

This is a silly argument and horrible advice. It's like saying that since your father slapped you, it's okay to slap your neighbors father.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

How would you feel if the value went up approx $100.00?

• Options
    Larrob37Larrob37 Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

I have been in situation where dealer raised his price because demand was high. I am really surprised(but happy) that most people on here would honor price. I guess i am lucky that i did not buy the presale when the price was $400.00 . I wonder how many of those buyers are thinking of what to do. In my opinion it does not matter if price went up or down $300.00 you have to be a person of your word.

• Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

In one breath you say that you were taught that your word is you bond and in another you want to go back on it. Something tells me your a lousy student. Remember only one person can control your integrity. You. Sorry to be blunt

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the price went up are you going to give the seller more for it? The pre-sale price is the pre-sale price. Once agreed upon the sale is done. The seller is obligated to keep his word even if the price doubles or triples in the meantime, so why should you get to change your mind if the price goes down? It could go either way. It's a two-way street. Just like a no-reserve auction. If someone lists a Morgan dollar and it sells for $12.00 the seller must sell if for that price, If the the listing sells for $40 and you are the high bidder, you are obligated to purchase it at $40 even if you way overbid.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bsshog40 said:
    All of the above!

I agree also

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you do not want to abide by an agreement, do not make the deal in the first place. If a person makes an agreement with me, and does not follow through, I consider them a liar, and would never do business with them again. As far as I'm concerned, this issue should not even be open to debate. Your word is your bond. You either keep your word, or you don't.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

In numismatics the value of your good name is of the utmost importance. Go through with the deal and don’t complain.

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:
    There isn't really a question here... you agreed to a price and that's the price.

This.

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2021 2:04PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@SonnyD said:

This is a silly argument and horrible advice. It's like saying that since your father slapped you, it's okay to slap your neighbors father.

Just the way it goes sometimes....
    If a car dealership says they'll give me a price on a car when it comes out and I find another dealership with a lesser price I'm taking my money where I can get the most value.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SonnyD said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@SonnyD said:

If a car dealership says they'll give me a price on a car when it comes out and I find another dealership with a lesser price I'm taking my money where I can get the most value.

A car dealership telling you that they’ll give you a price on a car when it comes out, isn’t remotely similar to an agreement on a purchase at a particular price.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 828 ✭✭✭✭✭

Years ago I sold some circ dollars to a BIG buyer.
    He returned them.
    I asked if the grades didn't meet his buy price .
    He replied, "No problem with the grades. Just not what I'm looking for." :#
    This was when silver was dropping.
    But I had confirmed many many many to him before.

Needless to say, I spread the word and didn't deal with him again.

• Options

@SonnyD said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@SonnyD said:

Really....?

Please provide your ebay name so we can all block you.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@SonnyD said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@SonnyD said:

A car dealership telling you that they’ll give you a price on a car when it comes out, isn’t remotely similar to an agreement on a purchase at a particular price.

So when I was buying a Chevelle from a dealer that just bought at auction and we agreed upon $75k but when I show up the next day he wants $85,000 because another buyer "called in today"...that's not the same?

• Options

@SonnyD said:

@MFeld said:

@SonnyD said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@SonnyD said:

So when I was buying a Chevelle from a dealer that just bought at auction and we agreed upon $75k but when I show up the next day he wants $85,000 because another buyer "called in today"...that's not the same?

That is HIM doing what YOU RECOMMEND.

He shouldn't do it. You shouldn't do it. The OP shouldn't do it.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@SonnyD said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@SonnyD said:

Really....?

Please provide your ebay name so we can all block you.

Block me on here and be done with it. He asked how we would handle it and gave my opinion. Not looking for brownie points or friends guy lol.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@SonnyD said:

@MFeld said:

@SonnyD said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@SonnyD said:

That is HIM doing what YOU RECOMMEND.

He shouldn't do it. You shouldn't do it. The OP shouldn't do it.

I'm sure he'll over pay like 99.9% of you have suggested don't worry.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SonnyD said:
    I'm sure he'll over pay like 99.9% of you have suggested don't worry.

The OP has already completed the deal at the original price.

@Larrob37 said:
    I guess i should have added that if the coin had gone up i would have expected the seller to want to negotiate or cancel the sell. I am not saying this particular seller would have done either but as a rule i believe some would have.I did in fact pay the original price without contacting seller and am happy with the coin.

• Options

@SonnyD said:

@MFeld said:

@SonnyD said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@SonnyD said:

The scenario I replied to is very different from the one you just posted. First you posted “that they’ll give you a price on a car when it comes out”. As written, that doesn’t amount to an agreement or a verbal contract. Then you posted “> So when I was buying a Chevelle from a dealer that just bought at auction and we agreed upon $75k but when I show up the next day he wants $85,000 because another buyer "called in today"...that's not the same?” As you worded it, that was an agreement. Words make a big difference.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    I don't care about your comments here but I certainly don't want to do business with you.

The fact that you don't think breaking a contract is a problem is the problem.

It's been done to me enough to where it doesn't bother me anymore, you are correct. No down payment being lost so what's it hurt to walk?

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

You said your answer.......

"my word is my bond".

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options

@MFeld said:

@SonnyD said:

@MFeld said:

@SonnyD said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@SonnyD said:

The scenario I replied to is very different from the one you just posted. First you posted “that they’ll give you a price on a car when it comes out”. As written, that doesn’t amount to an agreement or a verbal contract. Then you posted “> So when I was buying a Chevelle from a dealer that just bought at auction and we agreed upon $75k but when I show up the next day he wants $85,000 because another buyer "called in today"...that's not the same?” As you worded it, that was an agreement. Words make a big difference.

So a coin dealer can verbally set a price when a coin comes out but a car dealer can't? Mmmmmk > @MFeld said:

@SonnyD said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    I don't care about your comments here but I certainly don't want to do business with you.

The fact that you don't think breaking a contract is a problem is the problem.

It's been done to me enough to where it doesn't bother me anymore, you are correct. No down payment being lost so what's it hurt to walk?

If your word has no value, I guess it doesn’t hurt too much to go back on it.

It's never hurt walking away with money saved.

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2021 2:41PM

This guy is a seagull, not worth the time spent responding. He will be gone soon as there is nothing coming out worth trying to flip. BST take note

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    edited October 29, 2021 2:49PM

@SonnyD said:

@MFeld said:

@SonnyD said:

@MFeld said:

@SonnyD said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@SonnyD said:

So a coin dealer can verbally set a price when a coin comes out but a car dealer can't? Mmmmmk >

Anyone can set a price on anything - verbally or in writing. But on its own, “setting a price” doesn’t amount to an agreement. You’re not being clear.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@SonnyD said:

@MFeld said:

@SonnyD said:

@MFeld said:

@SonnyD said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@SonnyD said:

So a coin dealer can verbally set a price when a coin comes out but a car dealer can't? Mmmmmk >

Anyone can set a price on anything. But without additional information, there’s no agreement. You’re not being clear.

So I guess if this guy were wanting to but a coin and the dealer said ya know what, I have a guy that said he'll but it for more than our verbal agreement. Y'all would say, well it's his coin he can sell it to whoever....right?

• Options

I feel bottom line is if the value of the coin has made the item now unappealing to the buyer, why buy it?

This discussion has been closed.