Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do any of you collect only older holder PCGS coins.

I only collect older holder PCGS coins as I don’t like the prongs as I think it takes away from the simplicity and clarity of the coin. Only exception I make is half dollars and dollars as they are big coins. For a similar reason I never collected NGC coins due to the heavy plastic as well as the unsightly prongs. I know I am missing some nice PCGS coins, but I can’t compromise on this holder. Do any of you feel the same way.

Comments

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. While I like older holders, it's about the coin inside that trumps anything else. Blue, green or white label soap box.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy them and break them out.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

I pay a premium for old holders... if the coin is all there.

I don't exclusively collect them, though. I do prefer my non old holder coins in PCGS holders, though.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    Joey29Joey29 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

I don’t follow what your saying. I think PCGS should offer reholdering in their older versions

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the old Rattlers and Doilies, but I wouldn’t say I collect them. It’s all about the coin for me.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joey29 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I don’t follow what your saying. I think PCGS should offer reholdering in their older versions

You can break them out of the holders and enjoy them raw if the holder bothers you.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the old green holders. I would pick up a Doily if the premium was reasonable. But I don't mind the new holders either. When I picked up my first $20 Saint this year I specifically wanted the new prong holder so I could she the raised stars on the edge.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

While its your collection and money the decision to only collect one brand of holder and then only coins in the older solid gasket style holder does indeed place considerable limits on the coins available for you to buy. Unless you are able to find many hoards of old style holders which have been off the market for decades; chances are you are seeing (buying?) a lot of marginal for the grade coins. While I enjoy finding coins in the older style holders I certainly do not limit my purchases to a single brand or holder type, but as I said its your collection so your choices.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    brocmitchellbrocmitchell Posts: 96 ✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2021 8:23PM

I have a gripe with PCGS OGH that took a learning experience to figure out. I came into possession of a gem looking 1941-S walking liberty half in an MS64 OGH, not a rattler or doily style, but the typical old green holder. It looked to me like a "lock" gold at CAC so I sent it in. The coin didn't green much less gold sticker... there was no PVC sticker, and I couldn't see what the problem was, so I figure... time to crack the sucker out and send it in for a point or (or two?) upgrade. You can only imagine my shock when I popped the coin out of the gasket just to find a fairly gnarly rim nick! It was completely concealed by the gasket unless you really lit the thing and used magnification to peer through the hazy plastic. It must have been identified at CAC and the reason for no sticker in this case. In the end, I spitefully sent it back in to PCGS to get graded to see how they treat it all these years later. It's currently on the slow boat at business day 50 so god only knows when I'll learn the coin's fate.

The moral of the story is I don't think the prongs on modern holders conceal any more of the coin than the old holders, and if nothing, the old holders hide even more!

• Options

@coinbuf said:
    While its your collection and money the decision to only collect one brand of holder and then only coins in the older solid gasket style holder does indeed place considerable limits on the coins available for you to buy. Unless you are able to find many hoards of old style holders which have been off the market for decades; chances are you are seeing (buying?) a lot of marginal for the grade coins. While I enjoy finding coins in the older style holders I certainly do not limit my purchases to a single brand or holder type, but as I said its your collection so your choices.

Luckily I mainly buy type coins so the amount of no prong holders is still vast

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2021 9:51PM

Heck no hate how they rotate in holder. Buy them, crack out, send in to PCGS, bank when they upgrade.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

I buy any 1936 Commorative Half Dollars in Doilies.

thefinn
  • Options

@brocmitchell said:
    I have a gripe with PCGS OGH that took a learning experience to figure out. I came into possession of a gem looking 1941-S walking liberty half in an MS64 OGH, not a rattler or doily style, but the typical old green holder. It looked to me like a "lock" gold at CAC so I sent it in. The coin didn't green much less gold sticker... there was no PVC sticker, and I couldn't see what the problem was, so I figure... time to crack the sucker out and send it in for a point or (or two?) upgrade. You can only imagine my shock when I popped the coin out of the gasket just to find a fairly gnarly rim nick! It was completely concealed by the gasket unless you really lit the thing and used magnification to peer through the hazy plastic. It must have been identified at CAC and the reason for no sticker in this case. In the end, I spitefully sent it back in to PCGS to get graded to see how they treat it all these years later. It's currently on the slow boat at business day 50 so god only knows when I'll learn the coin's fate.

The moral of the story is I don't think the prongs on modern holders conceal any more of the coin than the old holders, and if nothing, the old holders hide even more!

Sad story

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not care what the holder is..... For me, it is all about the coin. I do not care who's slab, what generation, scratched or cracked.... Show me the coin... The rest is meaningless, I collect coins, not slabs. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the older holders a lot but I would never limit myself to only buying coins in the older holders. The older holders are good for buying red copper because you at least know the color is stable.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Older holders are the bomb, paired up with a great coin is a magical combination.

• Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with the last 2 comments. As a fan of the rattlers, fatties and OGH, I think most collect them for the stability of the coin rather than the gasket. If a coin was messed with, it would have turned by now in an old holder.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just want to add that when I sell my collection in 20ish years, I expect some stuff will get stupid money thanks to being in 50+ year old TPG holders.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree it should be about the coin only - that said, I’m not a fan of the NGC holders and MUCH prefer the clear holders of PCGS. But I do like to see the edge of the coin, even if just some of it.

• Options
    NoGoldNoGold Posts: 41 ✭✭

My collections were started back in the OGH era. My collections are all OGH so to be consistent I add only OGH holdered coins. The auction companies are making it easy now with their Early Holder Showcase auction.
    https://coins.ha.com/c/search.zx?saleNo=60230&ic=Items-OpenAuctions-ComingSoon-BrowseCatalog-051914

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. I like older holders, but the coin is more important than the holder.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,808 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the newest PCGS holder, I'll admit, but I certainly find the charm in the old holders. I have most of the generations represented in my collection.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,808 ✭✭✭✭✭

For gold dollars, I strongly prefer the non-prong gaskets...

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will only buy pre 1815 copper in a PCGS OGH or earlier holder. I had an 1804 with stems Half Cent in (won't name the TPG) in MS 65 BN. Eight years later, it started developing PVC spots. Coin was in said holder the whole time.

If you buy early copper (or RD copper, for that matter) in an OGH or earlier holder, you know it's stable. If it's an expensive coin, it's a valuable insurance policy. My favorite coin denomination is the Classic Large Cent. I'd like one in MS 63 or MS 64, but have accepted the fact that I will most likely never own one for reasons mentioned here.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options

@ricko said:
    I do not care what the holder is..... For me, it is all about the coin. I do not care who's slab, what generation, scratched or cracked.... Show me the coin... The rest is meaningless, I collect coins, not slabs. Cheers, RickO

I appreciate your comments. But to me scratches obscure the clearness of the plastic. What was wrong with the last older holder without the prongs. With the technology of today there should not be a reason to have prongs. The newer holders should provide an amazing view of a coin

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joey29 ... Of course, your coins, your hobby... It should be your preference. Enjoy what makes you happy. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file