Home Sports Talk
Options

Your Most Treasured Sports Memorabilia

HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 27, 2021 7:23PM in Sports Talk

I have some. All from the same ballplayer. New York Giants shortstop. 110 or more years ago. Tell you about it after you share yours. ⚾

Comments

• Options
    edited October 27, 2021 8:13PM

September 23, 1908. The most controversial game in baseball history. I got the lowdown from the horse's mouth.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't have much but do have an old baseball signed by Jim and Gaylord Perry when they were with the Indians in 1974 - a combined won/loss record of 38-25 with both under 3.00 ERA. Too late tonight to take pictures but I'll post some tomorrow.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

1979 signed Pittsburgh Pirates championship team bat. (27 signatures)

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

galaxy27 actually gifted me with an autographed Buster Douglas boxing glove a while back, that is my most prized sports memorbilia, Tokyo Douglas was a beast, he certainly seized the moment that night!

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

My father got a baseball signed in person by Ted Williams back in 1960/61 at a baseball camp in the Boston area, he gave it to me back in 1980.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been fortunate enough to meet a number of MLB hofers over the years. got balls/bats signed by most of them: Frank Thomas, Willie mays, whitey ford, frank robinson, piazza, Henderson, maddux, etc.

probably enjoyed the big hurt the most. willie mays, the most disappointing.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    My father got a baseball signed in person by Ted Williams back in 1960/61 at a baseball camp in the Boston area, he gave it to me back in 1980.

Amazing treasure right there.

I have two 70's KISS albums I got signed myself, in person by Gene Simmons, and Paul Stanley, backstage at a concert in Columbus 17 yrs ago.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2021 3:55AM

It’s a tie…

2007 Super Bowl - Game Used Football

1951 World Series Black Bat - New York Yankees World Champions

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    It’s a tie…

Tim is that a picture of you back in 2007 or your boy? I want to like your post but cannot because of the football lol. But the Little guy and the bat is a 👍🏼👍🏼

• Options

@perkdog said:

It’s a tie…

Tim is that a picture of you back in 2007 or your boy? I want to like your post but cannot because of the football lol. But the Little guy and the bat is a 👍🏼👍🏼

That is my wee man; he’s the best. Soon to be 11…

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@perkdog said:

Amazing treasure right there.

I have two 70's KISS albums I got signed myself, in person by Gene Simmons, and Paul Stanley, backstage at a concert in Columbus 17 yrs ago.

I remember when I was a kid back in the 70’s my Aunt had a bunch of KISS posters on her wall.

• Options

@perkdog said:

It’s a tie…

Haha he is a cute little kid 👍🏼👍🏼

• Options

@perkdog said:

@perkdog said:

It’s a tie…

Bet that Ted ball is killer…

• Options

This is from the first day Mickey Mantle wore the Yankees uniform, a road jersey on the back of a September call up, way back in 1950…

…and the charm given away on Mother’s Day 1967, which was also, coincidentally, the day of Mickey’s 500th HR.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a lot of memorabilia. I have T206’s. I have in person signatures of my sport hero, Jack Kemp.
    My best memorabilia is:
    Waking up at 8:00 on game day. Going to Your Host on Main Street for breakfast, leaving the car there and walking to War Memorial Stadium. Watching the player warm up for a 1:00 pm Bills game. Watching the Bills games with my father from 1963 until they built the new stadium in circa 1970.

Yes that’s my best memories and memorabilia

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    I have a lot of memorabilia. I have T206’s. I have in person signatures of my sport hero, Jack Kemp.
    My best memorabilia is:
    Waking up at 8:00 on game day. Going to Your Host on Main Street for breakfast, leaving the car there and walking to War Memorial Stadium. Watching the player warm up for a 1:00 pm Bills game. Watching the Bills games with my father from 1963 until they built the new stadium in circa 1970.

Ok, you win. that is the best memorabilia...

I certainly cherish all the sporting memories with my dad as well.

• Options

@2dueces said:
    My best memorabilia is:

I take it you got to see the juice in his prime. all of his off-field stuff notwithstanding, he must have been quite a remarkable athlete to see in person.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Signed basketball from1962 Buckeyes. My most treasured keepsake that is worth nothing to anyone but me are needles to put air into the ball given tome in person by John Havlicek.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@2dueces said:
    My best memorabilia is:

I take it you got to see the juice in his prime. all of his off-field stuff notwithstanding, he must have been quite a remarkable athlete to see in person.

He was. I saw every home game and some away games when we went to New York and Cleveland. I remember thinking when the Juice retired how in the world would the Bills go on. Lol. We’d also see him partying around town with Al Cowlings. Once word got around he was at Mulligans you couldn’t get near the place.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2021 1:34PM

@perkdog said:

I'm sure the signature is perfectly legible. His handwriting was very good. And he was always open and very friendly about giving fans an autograph. Nice guy.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's pic of the Perry Bros sigs. I notice the ball is dated from 1970 to 1973 (Joseph Cronin).

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably my game-used bats of Dave Winfield & Willie McCovey, along with 20 players from the 1984 Padres (including Tony Gwynn). The only regular I'm missing from 1984 is Kurt Bevacqua.

Steve

• Options
    edited October 28, 2021 1:35PM

This is from the first day Mickey Mantle wore the Yankees uniform, a road jersey on the back of a September call up, way back in 1950…

…and the charm given away on Mother’s Day 1967, which was also, coincidentally, the day of Mickey’s 500th HR.

I like those program/ scorecards!.....Many, many years ago someone dumped a load of trash out by my gate. Cardboard boxes. I went through it and like another member said, " One's man trash is another man's treasure. " There were a lot of old St. Louis Cardinals scorecards from the 1940's and 50's. Most were water damaged but not all. I thought they were so cool. Stan The Man! It was just so neat reading the box scores. People don't do that anymore at the game.... Too busy scarfing nachos and slamming beer........GET YOUR PROGRAM! ...GET YOUR PROGRAM! 25¢! GET YOUR PROGRAM!.......25¢!.....long ago,.....you can't bring back the past.....too bad.

• Options

@Hydrant said:

I like those program/ scorecards!.....Many, many years ago someone dumped a load of trash out by my gate. Cardboard boxes. I went through it and like another member said, " One's man trash is another man's treasure. " There were a lot of old St. Louis Cardinals scorecards from the 1940's and 50's. Most were water damaged but not all. I thought they were so cool. Stan The Man! It was just so neat reading the box scores. People don't do that anymore at the game.... Too busy scarfing nachos and slamming beer........GET YOUR PROGRAM! ...GET YOUR PROGRAM! 25¢! GET YOUR PROGRAM!.......25¢!.....long ago,.....you can't bring back the past.....too bad.

Thanks but I really just posted so I could circle back and see this 100 year old NYG piece!

On with it man!

😁

• Options

@perkdog said:

@perkdog said:

It’s a tie…

Bet that Ted ball is killer…

I will definitely post a pic of it soon, it’s at my parents house..

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a San Diego Chargers 1963 AFL Championship Ring. It was given to me, and the circumstances behind the gift make it likely the most meaningful piece I have. It also represents the only major sports championship the City of San Diego has ever experienced, and looks to be the only big football championship we will ever have.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some great stuff!

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

Before I tell you about my most treasured item, I want to tell a story about an item I didn't get.......It was 1963/64? Dodger Stadium Dodgers/Astros. Pre game warm ups were over and the Astros were coming into the dugout. There I was with my scorecard and pen wanting an autograph. Well, here comes Rusty Staub. Remember him? Anyway, I asked for his autograph and he said, "Kid, come back after the game and I'll sign that." So...I sat through the whole game so excited that after the game good ole Rusty and I were going to meet up. Game over. I go to the dugout......and wait, and wait. No Rusty. The lights begin to go out, the sprinklers come on and still no Rusty. An usher came along and said it was time to leave. My Dad gave me that fatherly knowing look. That's not the end of the story. I wrote a letter to Rusty and reminded him all about it. Well,....later on he sent me an autographed picture and some other stuff with an apology note. In my young boy mind he went from being an all time jerk to an o.k. guy!