Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How long should it take?????????????????

Comments

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@habaraca said:
    Absolutely ridiculous and NOT the way to do business......

Graders you need to be ASHAMED of yourselves................................

I doubt the graders are to blame. I suspect PCGS has been swamped with submissions since the Summer with coin shows starting up again and new coins coming out from the mint. I also asked for two attributions and TV's, and that may take some time.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    KeshequaKeshequa Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

Business day 58 for 30 coin econ submission. When submitted, estimated turnaround was 25. Then changed to 45. But, we’re at 58. Email to Steph remains unanswered.

Buying and Selling coins for 54 years, 700+ shows in last 20 years, and boy am I tired.
    Purchased and Trademarked the Mohawk Valley Hoard
    Originated the Rochester (NY) Area Coin Expo

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

@habaraca said:

Why do you assume any fault lies with the graders? I doubt that they’re sitting around, twiddling their thumbs.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:
    Now past 74 business days and 112 total days on my submission. Still in "grading".

The coins were submitted at the Summer FUN show on 7/9.

Outrageous.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    edited October 31, 2021 1:13PM

@habaraca said:

Without inside knowledge we're not in a position to pinpoint blame.

• Options
    scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    Without inside knowledge we're not in a position to pinpoint blame.

I blame all the bullion coming out of the mint right now. I bet they are under a lot of pressure from some of the big players to get their MS70 plastic out first.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :p

• Options

@DRUNNER said:
    I have not wanted to poke the bear. Too conscious about 'big brother' and too appreciative of the forum we have here to want to say much. But . . . . . . .

As a submitter of over a decade, and a strong supporter of our hosts (and contributor on the 'Holder' section and consistent source for forum questions on our host's holders) . . . . . .

I just would rather buy PCGS coins already slabbed. The cost, wait, and hassle is just not worth it to me anymore. I'd rather buy the coin (slab cost is usually not factored in to price anyway) already in a PCGS holder than submit for my own entertainment and wait and absorb the cost.

If you are paying attention . . . . I am a STRONG supporter of our hosts and want to continue to purchase PCGS coins in near-exclusivity . . but I am at a point where buying them from secondary sources makes more sense than submitting.

Drunner

Though I've purchased many TPG-graded coins, I prefer raw coins to slabbed coins because I like the look of coins in Dansco albums, air-tites, etc. I also like the "thrill of the hunt" in finding nice raw coins that will pass TPG grading.

Attributing and cherrypicking varieties of raw coins will generate coins that are much more marketable as properly attributed, TPG-graded, coins. A rare SLH die marriage and encouragement from LSCC members prompted me to submit coins to PCGS for the first time. The others I submitted were particularly nice coins I purchased raw for peanuts off of eBay that I hope to profit from someday. I also wanted TrueViews of these coins as well.

• Options
    edited October 31, 2021 2:44PM

@MFeld said:

@habaraca said:

Why do you assume any fault lies with the graders? I doubt that they’re sitting around, twiddling their thumbs.

Nah, they're playing "Quarters". ;)

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want to try your patience, try going to Disneyland these days (post-pandemic) and waiting four-plus hours for a four-minute ride!

peacockcoins

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent 172 coins in at the end of July. To answer your question and mine : " it should take mine longer" . :joy: here is to hoping you get good grades.

• Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2021 6:26PM

UPDATE!!!!

STILL NOTHING SHOWS BEING IMAGED FOR OVER 30 DAYS NOW........
    HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO IMAGE 3 @#@!@#! COINS........

THIS WILL FOR SURE BE THE LAST TIME I SEND TO PCGS FOR GRADING TILL THEY GET THEIR ACT TOGETHER
    AND START CARING FOR THEIR CUSTOMERS THE WAY THEY WANT THE CUSTOMERS TO CARE FOR THEM.

HERE IS A GOOD IDEA HOW ABOUT I PAY WHEN I RECEIVE MY GOODS LIKE IN A REAL COMMERCE WORLD....

HOPE I DON'T GET BANNED NOW.......................

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

@habaraca said:
    UPDATE!!!!

THIS WILL FOR SURE BE THE LAST TIME I SEND TO PCGS FOR GRADING TILL THEY GET THEIR ACT TOGETHER
    AND START CARING FOR THEIR CUSTOMERS THE WAY THEY WANT THE CUSTOMERS TO CARE FOR THEM.

HERE IS A GOOD IDEA HOW ABOUT I PAY WHEN I RECEIVE MY GOODS LIKE IN A REAL COMMERCE WORLD....

Surely, you understand that it’s not just about how long it takes to image three coins. And that there’s a lot more involved, including, where in the process your submission is, relative to others. Why post something, that you seem to think might result in you getting banned?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

. Why post something, that you seem to think might result in you getting banned?

Don't think my comment would result in getting banned, just put that in for dramatic effect.........
    Surely our host isn't that sensitive about their own performance.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

I Blame the mint bullion and the big fish that need their 70 grades first. But it is what it is. I'm so desperate to see what my first cladking modern submission grades, but I don't want to send more till I can evaluate how I did on this submission.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regular and express are just as slow

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said:
    My question is, if it’s showing that it’s in the holder and been graded can they not just punch in the grade and hit enter to post it on Your orders page?

Actually the Answer is NO because... In order for the grades to be released they need to charge your credit card. Once they charge your credit card you need to receive the coins back. If the coins are not received within a certain number of days you can do a chargeback against your credit card. PCGS doesn't like chargebacks.

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I have 9 invoices in varying speeds at our hosts.

You send in your coins and you wait for the results or you can sell your raw coins to someone who will wait.

Just saying……

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the same BS that happens every time the mint comes up with some big time promo. Thousands of 2021 Morgan and Peace dollars are bought by Dealers sight unseen and clog up the regular business of grading. They are now beginning to appear in magazines and for sale on the internet like they're something special.
    Reminds me of the gold mercury dimes a few years back.

Meanwhile my "regular" submission expected to take 25 business days is now approaching 3 calendar months.

My question is when do I need to put in the claim for lost coins?

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coins are not lost, just waiting in a big line that has people cutting in front that pay more. Sort of like Disneyland.

If you call and they are really late, they will put them into an "expedite" queue.

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    The coins are not lost, just waiting in a big line that has people cutting in front that pay more. Sort of like Disneyland.
    If you call and they are really late, they will put them into an "expedite" queue.

Where they may sit for several more weeks, maybe even months. We'll see how long it takes...three weeks in "expedite" mode now with no movement. :*

How long have your items been in expedite mode @Goldminers?

The wrong line at stores, the wrong lane in traffic jams. Why would things be different with TPG grading?

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

I submitted three coins last week at the PCGS show in San Diego on Wednesday and they were graded Thursday and I had them back in my office Monday.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmmm, I never get charged until my coins are on the way. Of course if you pay by check that is understandable. My credit card gets hit and I know my coins are on the way home!

@habaraca said:
    UPDATE!!!!

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:
    I submitted three coins last week at the PCGS show in San Diego on Wednesday and they were graded Thursday and I had them back in my office Monday.

Not sure if you're advising the OP to pay a premium next time, or applying salt to his wound. :lol:

• Options

@Barberian said:

@Goldminers said:

Where they may sit for several more weeks, maybe even months. We'll see how long it takes...three weeks in "expedite" mode now with no movement. :*

How long have your items been in expedite mode @Goldminers?

The wrong line at stores, the wrong lane in traffic jams. Why would things be different with TPG grading?

I too have had a couple weeks in the past in expedite mode. I only just called them this time and don't have high expectations. It is frustrating when they sit in grading for over three months, and some get theirs back in hand in 3 working days. More $$$ = less time.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

What if…. what if the pandemic has brought a lot of collectors out of the woodwork or have given folks time to select coins to submit? Kinda like ammunition, so many folks bought guns, the ammunition has been depleted for a very long time. Don’t blame the ammo suppliers, blame the gun buyers.

Also, I imagine 99.99% of the “big boys” submit through the bulk department and that is a completely separate side of the house. Their submissions don’t impact regular submission timelines. That’s at least hour I understand it.

• Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

What if....you supply the coins to tpg then they get stuck in the chain? Supply chain issue maybe. Just over the pandemic excuse for everything these days. Used to be a day when superb companies overdelivered. Sad to hear about the turnaround times. Guess I'll wait until pandemic and supply chain issues resolve to send my coins in.

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

@younique said:
    What if....you supply the coins to tpg then they get stuck in the chain? Supply chain issue maybe. Just over the pandemic excuse for everything these days. Used to be a day when superb companies overdelivered. Sad to hear about the turnaround times. Guess I'll wait until pandemic and supply chain issues resolve to send my coins in.

That's what I'm thinking, they are low on plastic boxes and are only shipping expedited orders to conserve boxes for high level submitters.

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably like every other company in the country, can't get people to come to work or lots of vacancies. We have about 200 vacancies where I work.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    PRIZ430PRIZ430 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2021 6:14AM

Who knows what's going on with grading...but I have been stuck in QA check now for 2 weeks...It's just CRAZY!!!

• Options
    brocmitchellbrocmitchell Posts: 96 ✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2021 8:19AM

My US Economy received 8/19 just moved to encapsulation yesterday, 52 business days. It seems it will be another 10-15 business days before the grades are in. BRUTAL!

If it wasn't for the list on the website I probably couldn't even tell you what I sent in... 21 coins ranging from wheat cents to Morgan and Peace dollars. Included in the bunch are a group of six Jefferson Nickels. It's the first time I've sent in Jeffersons and it's killing me to see how good or bad my estimates are, FS and numeric grade-wise. The other coin that has me impatiently waiting is a 1945-S Micro S that should FB despite previously being in a non-FB OGH. IF it upgrades and IF it FB's it will be a happy day!

• Options
    Morpheus1967Morpheus1967 Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

@PRIZ430 said:
    Who knows what's going on with grading...but I have been stuck in QA check now for 2 weeks...It's just CRAZY!!!

Same boat, but not two weeks yet. Mine went from grading to encapsulation to QA in 2 days (after not updating from received for a month), and now stuck in QA for a week.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

80 days today, stuck in QA hell.

• Options
    edited November 4, 2021 12:05PM

One of the medals in the last long wait submission was stuck in QA for about 2 weeks and when I received it naturally it was labeled incorrectly so back it went and it is still there. They call these mechanical errors, leading me to believe the QA is being done by robots ;)

• Options

PCGS statistics page says 255,049 coins graded in the last 30 days. If they work 8 hour days, 5 days a week, that roughly works out to a coin or medal graded every 2.4 seconds.

Considering grading and QA involves 2-3 different graders taking a look at each coin before reaching a final conclusion, there must be quite a few people involved going full speed. Then factor opening, labeling, encapsulation, packing, etc., I can imagine the place is crazy busy.

Trying to do all this, with various California Covid-19 restrictions, employee turnover, and still maintain such high grading standards is quite an accomplishment, so I believe in all honesty they deserve a lot of respect.

I think it would be informative if they would post more statistics on the website including graphs of coins graded over time like the past year, actual turnaround times, and maybe some photos of the work areas as some more transparency would allow their customers to fully understand the situation causing these delays.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:
    PCGS statistics page says 255,049 coins graded in the last 30 days. If they work 8 hour days, 5 days a week, that roughly works out to a coin or medal graded every 2.4 seconds.

Considering grading and QA involves 2-3 different graders taking a look at each coin before reaching a final conclusion, there must be quite a few people involved going full speed. Then factor opening, labeling, encapsulation, packing, etc., I can imagine the place is crazy busy.

Trying to do all this, with various California Covid-19 restrictions, employee turnover, and still maintain such high grading standards is quite an accomplishment, so I believe in all honesty they deserve a lot of respect.

I think it would be informative if they would post more statistics on the website including graphs of coins graded over time like the past year, actual turnaround times, and maybe some photos of the work areas as some more transparency would allow their customers to fully understand the situation causing these delays.

You're far more optimistic than I. Looking at the shared orders page for a clue, it appears that the only grading and shipping taking place is of Chinese coins. Dealer submissions of the thousands of mint garbage wouldn't appear on that page necessarily.
    I guess it would just be nice if someone in charge would just come onto the forum with an explanation when things are this far out of the norm. The silent treatment is not a good look.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    RedSealsRedSeals Posts: 278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2021 12:20PM

I was "expedited" 2 weeks ago like others here. Regular submission received 9/3. Been in QA since early October...

I called earlier to check on my own submission now on business day 43 (turnaround was at 25 when I submitted) and their auto attendant said they are not taking anymore calls today in their queue...

@DollarAfterDollar said:
    I guess it would just be nice if someone in charge would just come onto the forum with an explanation when things are this far out of the norm. The silent treatment is not a good look.

Agree completely on the silent treatment...I'm not as much upset with the delay, these things happen and its understood its an estimated turnaround time - but a banner on the website explaining delays, or even an automated email to people who have submitted (cant be hard to mail merge all those email addresses for standard, regular, and economy) would be a nice touch.

Successful BST Transactions with: PerryHall, MrSlider, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Blu62vette, robkool, gowithmygut, coinlieutenant, Downtown1974, MilesWaits, Shrub68, justindan

• Options
    Morpheus1967Morpheus1967 Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

@DollarAfterDollar said:

@Goldminers said:

You're far more optimistic than I. Looking at the shared orders page for a clue, it appears that the only grading and shipping taking place is of Chinese coins. Dealer submissions of the thousands of mint garbage wouldn't appear on that page necessarily.

Where is the shared orders page?

• Options
    RedSealsRedSeals Posts: 278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful BST Transactions with: PerryHall, MrSlider, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Blu62vette, robkool, gowithmygut, coinlieutenant, Downtown1974, MilesWaits, Shrub68, justindan

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at the shared orders page for a clue, it appears that the only grading and shipping taking place is of Chinese coins. Dealer submissions of the thousands of mint garbage wouldn't appear on that page necessarily.

That statement is factually incorrect. I submit in bulk and my orders are on the shared order page like all other submissions. Dealers can choose to NOT share them as anyone can….

• Options
    KeshequaKeshequa Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

30 coins, econ with true view, today is business day 62 after they logged them. Now in ‘quality check.’

I think most people would tolerate long times if the expectations were accurately set.

Buying and Selling coins for 54 years, 700+ shows in last 20 years, and boy am I tired.
    Purchased and Trademarked the Mohawk Valley Hoard
    Originated the Rochester (NY) Area Coin Expo

• Options
    nk1nknk1nk Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

@Keshequa said:
    30 coins, econ with true view, today is business day 62 after they logged them. Now in ‘quality check.’

I think most people would tolerate long times if the expectations were accurately set.

This is my complaint also. If I go to Cheesecake Factory and they tell me it’s a 2 hour wait and I say man that’s awhile but I’ll go ahead and wait and it ends up taking 6 plus hours to be seated I don’t care what blah blah excuse your give me I’m going to be pissed. If PCGS says it will take 586 days that’s fine at least I know.
    If a professional grading company can’t accurately predict their workload how professional are they really?

• Options

The source for my monthly coins graded number of 255,049 is here, where the estimated times should be updated and also delays also explained to submitters once they exceed the times by significant amounts.

https://www.pcgs.com/statistics

• Options
    edited November 4, 2021 2:33PM

We know they're watching this thread. I would think some sort of official response would be in good form.

I will say this much- I'm at the point in my collecting that I don't need to submit anything any more. This is the last time.

• Options

I am now up to 108 days or 76 business days and still grading now in expedite mode, and not even up to encapsulation yet. Yes, they were economy but now more than 30 days above the 45 business day estimate.

And I think @Barberian is waiting even longer, and it is his first submission. My first submission was in 2006, was free with new member grading coupons, and came back in 15 business days, or 3 weeks from beginning to end.

• Options
    bombtech25bombtech25 Posts: 209 ✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:

So sympathy, respect, and my money? Nah. Selling a 30 day service that actually takes 60 days is borderline theft. Doing it when you know the 30 day estimate is wrong, actually is. Now I'm not saying they're stick up kids robbing liquor stores but I think you'd be hard pressed to get someone there to keep a straight face and say the times are accurate.

• Options
    edited November 4, 2021 4:00PM

@Goldminers said:
    My first submission was in 2006, was free with new member grading coupons, and came back in 15 business days, or 3 weeks from beginning to end.

They don't need us little guys anymore.

What they should do, in my non-expert opinion, is bifurcate the process. Have separate grading processes for collectors and dealers. Let the mega-dealers who submit hundreds of coins at a time eat the wait they create.

• Options
    UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a reholder that is taking 6 weeks!

• Options

@bombtech25 said:

@Goldminers said:

So sympathy, respect, and my money? Nah. Selling a 30 day service that actually takes 60 days is borderline theft. Doing it when you know the 30 day estimate is wrong, actually is. Now I'm not saying they're stick up kids robbing liquor stores but I think you'd be hard pressed to get someone there to keep a straight face and say the times are accurate.

I was mostly referring to the graders and other workers with my comments about sympathy or respect. I have had to work in thankless, tedious jobs before, and it can't be very fun to examine coins, especially thousands of the same boring ones, under bright lights all day looking for every speck, and putting them into plastic everyday.

It believe it is management or the owners who are responsible for the silence on this delay issue. I was initially hopeful that the new President might offer some solutions to fix this problem at some point, since it seems to be causing reputational damage the longer it continues.

• Options

I enjoy reading all the "economy" submissions turning around several weeks earlier than my "regular" submission has been sitting in "grading". :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file