Home Precious Metals
Options

Melting Silver

I am thinking of buying this setup from Amazon and learn how to make Silver Bars. I know nothing about this subject what do you think? Is it easy?

😏😔 TYIA

Is there a book available I can buy that will teach me? 😛

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

you'll also need a mold for the bars.

Careful or . . .

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    CoinnmoreCoinnmore Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

Yes I need to buy silver and molds. Not sure what type silver to buy I seen some in little balls type I guess those are pure ready to melt but won’t find that at my favorite Wal Mart. Going to want to think of a slick mint name. Maybe add a skull or two. 🤓

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2021 4:46PM

unless you come up with a unique design that develops a following, you will not recover the costs of making a JM Bullion sells silver shot that might be a cheaper option

You will have fund doing it though.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

This venture is more for fun and learning. A hobby. I pretty much know I won’t be making profit as I have been buying bars for the last few years. It always seem much more expensive buying these. But the artwork is what fascinates me. Seems like the melters in Great Britain have their own beautiful style. By the time you convert their money our US money buys much less. A loosing venture but their Art work makes it all worth while. Here is 1 example. I don’t think my skill will come anywhere near this but it would be nice to learn how to for my own knowledge.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like fun.... I think I recall one or two other people who post here occasionally that do their own smelting and pouring. Check archives. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2021 8:30AM

You can do it. It's fun. Mine was arduous , as it was first necessary to get the copper out with chemicals. I dissolved 65 ounces of silverware (.925) first. Then had to "refine". Several steps from salt to sugar , to purify it. All that before melting. My wife didn't like it. And I was a hundred feet from home.
    You can do it. It's hazardous.
    The question with self pours is always : "how pure is it ?

As to books: when I was in school, it would have been better if I studied chemistry beyond a passing grade. It's another fascinating field.
    Necessary in industry.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been following this Aussy youtuber. You might be able to learn something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyp0GiE5FTQ

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

The tongs look kind of sketchy. If I were moving a 22 pound cup of 1,800 degree molten metal, I’d prefer something more substantial. How about tongs that reach around the entire cup similar to the way you’d pick up a glass. I don’t like the look of daintily gripping the lip of the cup (as shown in the picture) and making some weird contortion to pour it out…

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also the crucible has no lip for pouring…hard to direct the flow into the mold.

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭

I have heat treated steel many times and have investment cast brass on a single occasion. I think you could probably start out on a very small scale with just a MAPP gas or propane torch and a crucible.

• Options

Philographer yes I read some of the feed back on this one and some said get better tongs.
    As for the pouring with no lip I might be able to make a few grooves for the metal to flow by some precision grinding. But you make a good point. It is the bigger of the few models they make. But I guess if I ever want to expand I will be there. Thank you and all the advices. I will look at the video by OPA . Thank you

• Options
    edited November 5, 2021 8:36AM

Update 11-5
    I just watched the video I will be making one of them holders he shows looks like a worthwhile project I can handle. Thank you
    I also seperatly ordered these two items figured I can use the big crucible and put the smaller one inside it and use these new tongs. They are both on their way. Now I got to figure out which moldings I will buy to pour. Its a slow process as I work all day so its going to be a weekend project but very sloooowly. Probably buy some generic rounds to melt.

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

I made crucible tools out of bar stock (local hardware or box store)

The crucible in your above photo looks long and Cylindrical, Like the ones that go into an electric furnace.

The crucibles I’ve had were from PMC (procast) and have a little pour spout which is nice.

I have another I haven’t used called “salamander” which has a pour divit on the inside , whenever I decide to use it I’ll report back.

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

that seems like a sure fire way to burn your house down.

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options

Wooo hoooo my package came in today and it must weigh 50 to 75 pounds!!!!! :)

As far as safety that will be the # 1 task to keep from burning down the house. I guess I will have to write up a safety plan for me to follow and adhear to! Does anybody have a Safety plan available? 😗

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would skip the rounds and see if it is possible to melt junk sterling. Perhaps the locals coin shops or pawn shops can be a source. Hopefully they will have a lower premium

Or @LukeMarshall can give tips on raw material sourcing

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Klif50Klif50 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭

I would suggest you try your hand with copper or aluminum. They are cheap to work with (strip copper wires, melt aluminum cans). They melt fast and pour easy. Practice before you start spilling silver on the ground.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let it flow…. Pour it in a ant hole then dig it up man that looks cool.

Hoard the keys.