Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Mint's inefficient shipping again...

Just another laugh at government efficiency...My brother ordered 15 mints (some for resale obviously), all placed in one order. He got invoiced oddly for 1 and 14 sets- free shipping. Last Thursday both boxes show arriving on Friday (at a regional shipping facility 2 hours away). We were going to do a coin show Sunday so sounded great for timing. Friday comes and one small box arrives with 1 set (had figured maybe they could only box 14 sets in one box and perhaps why they didn't ship all together). Well on Saturday nada, nothing- only one set for show then Sunday. One open set would have been nice to display, but as we only had one set, we really didn't want to open as it was for sale and most people want them sealed. So come this morning (Monday) I pick up the other 14 - I was kinda of surprised by the boxes size and I'll let you folks decide but I think they could have squeezed one more set in! Oh well, the shipping was free thanks to buying all those Morgan products- be interesting to see how their packaging goes!

Comments

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only in America.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

:o Wow... strange that the one set shipped separately. They certainly could have fit one more in there. Ah the mysteries of government systems... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like they could have fit 14 more in there.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Government. Efficiently inefficient.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somebody packed and sealed the order, and then noticed there was one left out...

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

What used to be laughed off as first world worries is fast reaching third world levels of inefficiency.

Been almost ten days since a shipping label was created for the Uncirculated Coin Set 2021 that was ordered on 28th Sept. when it was released, but no sign of USPS receiving the package so far.

Are they waiting to combine ship it along with my 2021 Morgans and Peace? Who knows.

• Options
    RMLTM79RMLTM79 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

Seems like the workplace shortage is extending to the US Mint as well. I imagine they hire anybody with a pulse from phone reps all the way to the shipping department. Speaking of phone reps, some of them are hilariously clueless about coins 😂

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

OP says he was invoiced for 1 set and 14 sets. Has anybody considered the possibility that the most efficient way for the company packing the orders is to do it by invoice? If not, maybe you should.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two things - for whatever reason (box size, USPS/UPS DIM charges), 14 may be considered a case lot. So you ordered a case + 1.

Second - everyone is having problems getting boxes. Not necessarily ALL boxes, but perhaps a specific size is in short supply and you ship out in what you have to be timely.

Hanlon's razor - never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least they shipped it.

I ordered one of those two ASE reverse proof sets last month. It finally shipped yesterday. And it was an early order.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    Klif50Klif50 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭

Received my set today, about 5 days after they said they had created the label. Smaller box wrapped in paper in a little bit bigger box taped up with 1 inch scotch tape. The coins are very nice and I had to take scissors to the plastic that held the coins to get my Kennedy half dollars out for my set. All the coins have a proof like appearance. I took the dollar coins and added them to my type set and all the rest go in the piggy bank. Not a bad price for such nice coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file