Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Reaching that eureka, that highest of the highest, that ultimate promise land, The "70 grade"!

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 18, 2021 11:46AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi guys, us collectors always dream of our coins hitting that glorious achievement goal of the Sheldon 70 grade. Not too easy, to say the least. What really makes it difficult and at times really frustrating is when it comes down to 70 grade or BUST! Bust, meaning when your coin you had just submitted, MUST reach that ultimate high mark (70)
to receive a profitable value for that particular coin.
Here are a few examples. The recent dated Silver Eagles. The NEW Morgans/Peace Dollars. Another is the Susan B. Anthony's 1979s/1981s type 2 coins. Of course, the many array of the Statehood Quarter's, as well as, the vast amount of ordinary years in all denominations. The 1997 or 1994 Special Matte Finish Jefferson Nickels. I'll talk more about this specific coin later. Everyone wants to hit that special 70 grade. Esp. for monetary reasons. So they can sell to make that profit. Namely, for the Register Sets and the Register Set high dollar collectors out there. That are willing to spend that deep pocket price to add to their sets.
So, getting back to the aspect of hitting that 70 grade or BUST. Some of the years and coins I mentioned earlier, if your coin misses that mark of 70. It can be disastrous? Well, maybe not that dramatic but concerning your finances, it can? Any 69 grade in some of the coins you try to reach 70 grades, Might end up you taking a hit? A waste of money submitting that certain coin or coins? For instance, let's use the coin I made this entire thread about. The 1997 and 1994 Matte Finish Jefferson Nickel. I want to send these coins in, hoping, praying that PCGS sees it my way. By gifting me with that rare figure in our hobby, That Sheldon "70"! Anything less of a grade wouldn't make sense of sending it in. The 69 grade would knock it all the way down to 5 to 10 times lower of a value than if it made a 70. Almost to the submission and extra fees
it would cost to send in. Has anyone here tried to send any of your coins in with that close scenario from greatness to disparity? How many of you guys won the game of chance and tried again and failed or tried again (with a different and/or new one) and WON? Thanks guys. I'll let you know what I decide in the Jefferson Nickels. I'm mostly contemplating the lower mintage one.
The 1997 25,000 Mintage.
Thanks again. :)
1994 70 $550
1994 69 $60

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember that the grade only exists in plastic ... and you don't get to grade the plastic. Do you really want to play the "70" game?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone has to do it :)

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2021 10:23AM

@291fifth said:
    Remember that the grade only exists in plastic ... and you don't get to grade the plastic. Do you really want to play the "70" game?

@ChrisH821 said:
    Someone has to do it :)

Both correct answers. One should be aware if "playing the 70 game", that one is paying a sometimes-crazy premium for nothing more than a single digit printed on a slab label.

That being said, if one goes into that pursuit fully informed, with one's eyes open, and doesn't mind paying that premium, then why not.

To each his own.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have several '70' coins.... but I would never get into resubmitting '69's' over and over to try for a '70'. It is what it is...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2021 11:01AM

Welcome to the dark side @joeykoins
    Collecting those 70 grades is very addicting.
    Here is one of my all 70 modern sets.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/u-s-coins/proof-sets/2019-proof-set/album/212954
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@lordmarcovan said:
    FWIW, I have only "made" a 70-grade on one of my submissions once ever.

Beautiful Rob.

Good for you, dude!
    Congratulations B)

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2021 11:37AM

@ricko said:
    I have several '70' coins.... but I would never get into resubmitting '69's' over and over to try for a '70'. It is what it is...Cheers, RickO

Sorry, I should of specified more clearer, when sending in again. I meant with a different coin or new one. Not the one that missed the 70 grade.
    Yeah RickO, I totally agree. I wouldn't resubmit the coin/s either. I figure, I wasted enough money already. Maybe, with a entirely different one BUT NOT the same one! :)

• Options
    edited October 18, 2021 11:24AM

@WAYNEAS said:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/u-s-coins/proof-sets/2019-proof-set/album/212954
    Wayne

DUDE, SICK!

Awesome Collection, Wayne.
    Congratulations
    If you don't mind me asking. How much would something as magnificent as your set is, be worth? Or what kind of price would you place on that? Amazing!

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought this for $5 at the Central Texas show in Austin this weekend.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cmerlo1 said:

Love those "cheap slab" boxes dealers bring to shows! (Though that holder needs to be polished.)

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@lordmarcovan said:
    FWIW, I have only "made" a 70-grade on one of my submissions once ever.

And that was on a proof, which came directly out of the (Austrian) mint packaging.

Population 1/0. Yay!

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/37681946

That is one intricate coin design.
    I can just stare at it forever.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@joeykoins said:

@WAYNEAS said:
    Wayne

DUDE, SICK!

Congratulations
    If you don't mind me asking. How much would something as magnificent as your set is, be worth? Or what kind of price would you place on that? Amazing!

Sent you a PM
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2021 2:42PM

I have a few PF70s that I submitted raw. It’s not too difficult with modern proofs. If you submit about 10 different modern proofs that look perfect a couple have a good chance in coming back a 70. Like I said, I did just that and I ended up with 3 PF70s. But then they seem too valuable to sell at what the 69s or raw are going for and I know that dealers don’t like to pay anything close to 70 money for them. I tried selling 1 at a coin show and approached several dealers and none of them were interested enough to even make me an offer even though they had PF70s in their display case. So, even if you get a 70 you might not get a 70 premium easily unless a collector needs it for his or her set. There’s just too many modern PF70s for it to matter that much now that the mint perfected their production techniques. Now if you get a MS70 or a Non-modern PF-70 then I think you’d have hit the jackpot.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@WAYNEAS said:
    Wayne

DUDE, SICK!

Congratulations

I think you're confusing MS70 with PR70. Proof 70 grades are very common with modern coins.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

Sure, the MS 70's are harder to catch but I still believe his Proof 70's are pretty awesome too! :)

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2021 4:46PM

@cmerlo1 said:

Wow. I’d have snapped that up with a quickness.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Sure, the MS 70's are harder to catch but I still believe his Proof 70's are pretty awesome too! :)

They are great but generally neither expensive nor uncommon. If you send in 100 random modern proofs, in most cases you'll get 30 to 60 70s.

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aw, none of these ms70s have green beans... 😜. Poor little moderns...

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Luckily I don’t have this problem. Nothing I collect has a shot at a 70. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file