Home U.S. Coin Forum

Looking for a 1916-d Mercury dime from the “Subway Hoard”

Does anyone know where to find graded examples of 16-d with Subway Hoard provenance?

Comments

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another history lesson for me.
    Thanks
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought I had read about all of the major Hoards over the years, but this one was news to me too!

Thanks for sharing!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2021 10:04AM

I have not heard of it and it’s an interesting story.
    Thanks for sharing.
    As an inquiry, I might suggest the obvious and that interested parties contact Littleton Coin company directly.
    They have a pretty active sales department with enthusiastic representatives.
    This, if cursory directed web searches yielded nothing.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

The hoard was big news in the 90s. I bought one of the 42/41 mercs. Wish I had kept it.

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember the purchase and distribution of this hoard. However, I don't know that Littleton marked their plastic baggies with any notation that the coins inside came from the hoard. Therefore, it may be impossible to track these down.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember this event also, but don’t recall ever seeing anything attributed to it.
    I do remember seeing mid-grade over date and low grade 16D Mercury dimes becoming almost common in dealer cases not long afterward.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • CoinCoinsCoinCoins Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

imagine sitting down with 100,000 half dollars from before 1836

• CoinCoinsCoinCoins Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

jesus that hoard had a ton of incredible stuff

https://www.littletoncoin.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Display|10001|29555|-1||LearnNav|Learning-From-the-New-York-Subway-Hoard.html

1901 S 25c x 8
    1913 S 25c x 20
    1916 25c x 19
    1912 S 5c x 160
    1918/17 5c x 29

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

The fact that 29 18/17 Buffs were found is not a huge surprise to me for several reasons. First, that die variety had considerably more than a full die run, as evidenced by this coin, which was minted far past the useful life of the die. It is in no way rare in grades AG-VG. I cherried more than half a dozen in the early to mid sixties, including a VF.

When I first started collecting in 1961 this area-Northeast Ohio-was serviced mainly by the Denver Mint. To find Denver Mint coins in NYC was probably not that unusual. Back in the forties few collectors paid any attention to varieties such as overdates so they were not saved. Add that to the fact that this overdate is easily identifiable even with a very small portion of the date visible (if you know what to look for) and that explains it, at least to me.

• moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you get a Subway 1916 d dime, you have to wonder if there's any tuna in that mercury

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still do not know why it was called the 'subway hoard'..... Guess I will have to do some google research. Cheers, RickO

The collection was put together over several years by 2 or 3 people that worked for the New York city transportation authority. The coins were for the most part in vg to xf condition. Even though for some of the rare dates, ie. 16 d merc, the coins were quickly absorbed by the collecting community. It was put together in the 40s through the early 60's.

• moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tibor said:
    The collection was put together over several years by 2 or 3 people that worked for the New York city transportation authority. The coins were for the most part in vg to xf condition. Even though for some of the rare dates, ie. 16 d merc, the coins were quickly absorbed by the collecting community. It was put together in the 40s through the early 60's.

Presumably the coins were all collected from the subway turn styles?

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I still do not know why it was called the 'subway hoard'..... Guess I will have to do some google research. Cheers, RickO

It is called that because the collection was from a worker at a NYC token booth.

Frank

BHNC #203

From the articles of this hoard, the employee (s) were in the cash room for the transit authority. I'm guessing as the money was brought in from various subway stations and other sources they did their "CRH ".

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

:) A very early Coin Roll search.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

The number of finds boggles the imagination.......................

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • I worked for a construction company that often did work for the MTA in the city. My boss told me a story about a rehab that they had done before I was with the company. Part of the job was the removal of a ticket booth and there must have been a crack or seam on the ticket counter because when they took out the wall under the counter they found a big handful of mostly Buffalo nickels and also a couple large size notes in between the walls. I always miss the good stuff.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt .... Thank you... I figured it may have been something like that, but did not know for sure. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file