Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Altered Surface?

These three coins were among my first grading submissions and while I am satisfied by the other results, they list these altered surfaces. Can you see why?

Thanks
https://dopperud.smugmug.com/Coins/i-CWVBgVk/A

Comments

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2021 12:54PM

The 1887 and 1900 O have something going on right in front of Liberty’s face and neck. The 1887 also has something going on with Liberty’s cheek. Like maybe some hits were somehow smoothed out leaving a disturbance of the surface that stands out as looking different than the rest of the coins surface around those areas. But I wouldn’t have noticed if you didn’t say they came back as altered and I couldn’t see anything weird in the other coin

Mr_Spud

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dopperud.... Welcome aboard... Your links are ALL to the same coin....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

As @ricko has stated, the links are all showing the 1880 s. Welcome to the forum. @dopperud.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

i didn’t check again, but yesterday the links were for 3 different trueviews. But they are on some weird photo hosting site that sent me pop-ups asking me if I wanted to purchase the photos.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:
    i didn’t check again, but yesterday the links were for 3 different trueviews. But they are on some weird photo hosting site that sent me pop-ups asking me if I wanted to purchase the photos.

I was wondering why you could see the coins and we could not.
    Thanks for enlightening us.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@ricko said:
    @dopperud.... Welcome aboard... Your links are ALL to the same coin....Cheers, RickO

Click the arrow on the right side of the image to see the other coins.

Young Numismatist

• Options
    KeshequaKeshequa Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

Links are fine. Scroll from one picture to the next.

Buying and Selling coins for 54 years, 700+ shows in last 20 years, and boy am I tired.
    Purchased and Trademarked the Mohawk Valley Hoard
    Originated the Rochester (NY) Area Coin Expo

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK... got it now..... did not see the scroll arrow. The 1887 and 1900 do appear to have something strange on Liberty's cheek and neck.... Would need the coins in hand to determine more. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Thanks for checking.

I see some people are able to place the photos directly in their post, but I could not see how to do so.

Do you think cracking them out and dipping them in E Z est might remove what they consider residue?

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dopperud said:
    Thanks for checking.

I see some people are able to place the photos directly in their post, but I could not see how to do so.

Do you think cracking them out and dipping them in E Z est might remove what they consider residue?

It very well might, but I doubt it would be worth the cost of conservation and grading.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file