Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

The next addition to the @coinsarefun hoard . . . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll definitely check this baby out tomorrow. Looks like an amazing example.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2021 9:44AM

In two years it will be the 50th anniversary of the broadcast of the 1973 Hawaii Five-O "The $100,000 Nickel" episode.

James MacArthur and Jack Lord

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

funny that this nickel is more famous for being in Hawaii Five-O than for being 1913 Lib 5c

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WillieBoyd2 said:
    In two years it will be the 50th anniversary of the broadcast of the 1973 Hawaii Five-O "The $100,000 Nickel" episode.

Between 1951 and 1953, there was an episode of Amos and Andy that dealt with Kingfish trying to steal a rare Shield Nickel owned by Andy. I put a link to the show deep into this thread.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of those super rarities... Few will own.... many admire from afar. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

The stuff that dreams are made of…

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Hawaii 5-0 connection adds greatly to the appeal of this specimen since it adds the Hollywood collectors to those interested in it. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing against the coin, but for super rarities, these nickels seem to show up at shows with surprising regularity.

• Options

@BryceM said:
    Nothing against the coin, but for super rarities, these nickels seem to show up at shows with surprising regularity.

Speaking from experience, that’s because shows are more than willing to foot the insurance and security costs to make them show up. Because people want to see them and it adds to the show.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember seeing all five 1913 Liberty nickels displayed together at one of the major coin shows in Baltimore many years ago. The fifth nickel was just discovered and a group of numismatic experts evaluated this nickel by comparing it to the other four known examples. It was confirmed to be genuine by comparing the edges of the coins. They all had the same pattern of striations on their edges imparted by the collar used in the striking of these coins.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

A super cool coin!

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Elcontador said:

@WillieBoyd2 said:

Between 1951 and 1953, there was an episode of Amos and Andy that dealt with Kingfish trying to steal a rare Shield Nickel owned by Andy. I put a link to the show deep into this thread.

One of my very early childhood memories is Amos and Andy :).

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:

@PerryHall said:
    I remember seeing all five 1913 Liberty nickels displayed together at one of the major coin shows in Baltimore many years ago. The fifth nickel was just discovered and a group of numismatic experts evaluated this nickel by comparing it to the other four known examples. It was confirmed to be genuine by comparing the edges of the coins. They all had the same pattern of striations on their edges imparted by the collar used in the striking of these coins.

Yes. Legend Numismatics had managed to get the ANA and Smithsonian to lend their coins for a display - along with the Hawaii 5-O specimen [which I owned at the time] and the Eliasberg specimen [which I own now.]

@tradedollarnut i had no idea you were such a big gun! I myself own an Eliasberg pedigree NGC au58 1936 d mercury. To think, my coin may have been in the same room as a 1913 Liberty nickel!

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

Baltimore, summer 2003

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2021 10:32PM

This was the Hawaii Five-O Nickel as I photographed it when it was displayed at the Portland Money Show before tradedollarnut acquired it.

I had thought it got reholdered into a PCGS slab without reference to Hawaii Five-O. In any event it is clearly back in a NGC holder with an upgrade now to a 64+.

• Options
    edited September 29, 2021 11:03PM

Speaking of tradedollarnut's prior ownership of the Hawaii Five-O coin, I have always thought his backstory as to its acquisition was really interesting:

@tradedollarnut said:
    My adopted grandfather got me interested in coins. The 1913 was always his favorite. When I had the Hawaii 5-O coin, he drove over to Spokane from Seattle just to see it.
    Such a cool backstory. Thanks for sharing.

To which I had added on a prior responsive post:

FWIW, I flew all the way from my home to get to see it at the Portland Money Show. Of course that was back when it still had the Hawaii 5-0 attribution on the holder.

Little did I realize then that seeing the coin would be a precursor to getting the opportunity to appear as a Background Actor on the rebooted Hawaii Five-0 TV Series.

• Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭

The fifth nickel was lost for 50 years. It was lost in a car wreck by collector George Walton. The coin found in the wreckage was identified as a fake only to be proven genuine by comparison to the other 4
    coins. The Walton specimen of the 1913 Liberty Head “V” Nickel was sold by Heritage Auctions in April 2013 for a then-record $3.17 million. It was sold in the custom holder that George Walton had fashioned for his prize coin.

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is Zoid's example of the 1913 Liberty Head Nickel.

It was discarded for not being up to the standards of the other five. I couldn't afford a perfect example and had to settle for this slightly imperfect strike.

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    oilers99oilers99 Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

From the Long Beach show

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it's just the pics in this thread... Yet wondering if this was mildly cleaned by Farouk?

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the serial number on the slab . . . .

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:
    Maybe it's just the pics in this thread... Yet wondering if this was mildly cleaned by Farouk?

Possibly - all 5 were probably as pristine at the Eliasberg coin shorty after they were minted

• Options
    edited September 30, 2021 10:04PM

@Connecticoin said:

Yes, I caught that too. Also of note the same serial number was used as was on the original NGC slab before the coin was crossed over to a PCGS slab and then now back to a NGC slab with the upgrade to 64+ from 64. (If I recall correctly it was also a 64 in the interim PCGS slab.)

• Options

@oilers99 said:
    From the Long Beach show

@1northcoin said:

@Connecticoin said:

Yes, I caught that too. Also of note the same serial number was used as was on the original NGC slab before the coin was crossed over to a PCGS slab and then now back to a NGC slab with the upgrade to 64+ from 64. (If I recall correctly it was also a 64 in the interim PCGS slab.)

For comparison, here is the Hawaii Five-O coin in the original NGC slab with the identical serial number it now has in the present NGC slab with its upgrade to a 64+ from a 64. Tradedollarnut can set the record straight if not correct, apparently after he acquired the coin he had it reholdered into a PCGS slab which also graded as a 64 and the PCGS slab no longer made reference to its Hawaii Five-O provenance.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1northcoin said:

@Connecticoin said:

Is this some kind of bidding war between the two major grading services for the highest grade?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

My guess is the recent switch has more to do with getting back the Hawaii Five-O attribution. But what do I know.

• Options
    edited October 1, 2021 2:55AM

@1northcoin said:
    My guess is the recent switch has more to do with getting back the Hawaii Five-O attribution. But what do I know.

As a point of trivia, since this was holdered so long ago in its original NGC slab, is it possible that JA himself graded it when he was still with NGC? Would certainly be an ironic twist with it now having been beaned by JA.

• Options

I’m not 1000% sure, but I do believe that the coin was Pcgs 64 when on display at the Mandalay Bay coin museum and when I purchased it around 1999. It was after I sold it a few years later that it was crossed over to NGC. It was definitely Pcgs when the 4 nickels were on display in Baltimore

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:
    I’m not 1000% sure, but I do believe that the coin was Pcgs 64 when on display at the Mandalay Bay coin museum and when I purchased it around 1999. It was after I sold it a few years later that it was crossed over to NGC. It was definitely Pcgs when the 4 nickels were on display in Baltimore

Thanks

• Options

The PCGS cert for the Olsen coin is still valid. https://pcgs.com/cert/04000000

As for Farouk cleaning it, I do not think he ever took possession of it.

• Options
    edited October 2, 2021 1:58AM

@dbldie55 said:

As for Farouk .... I do not think he ever took possession of it.

Given that Farouk is identified in the pedigree, did he have ownership without possession somehow?

Reminds of that old adage about "Possession is 9/10ths of the law."

• Options

@1northcoin said:

@dbldie55 said:

As for Farouk .... I do not think he ever took possession of it.

Given that Farouk is identified in the pedigree, did he have ownership without possession somehow?

Reminds of that old adage about "Possession is 9/10ths of the law."

Pretty sure the answer is yes. Have to go find the details

• Options

Thanks for the response. Looking forward to the details, if and when they are found.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:

@PerryHall said:

Yes. Legend Numismatics had managed to get the ANA and Smithsonian to lend their coins for a display - along with the Hawaii 5-O specimen [which I owned at the time] and the Eliasberg specimen [which I own now.]

If you get the opportunity, it would be great to pick up the Walton specimen. Imagine being the only person in modern history to own all 3 available specimens?

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2021 12:45AM

@oilers99 said:
    From the Long Beach show !

Ugh, that card needs to say:

to the legendary collections of Colonel E.H.R. Green, Eric P. Newman, Fred Olsen, King Farouk of Egypt, and Bruce Morelan.

• Options

@1northcoin said:

@1northcoin said:

As a point of trivia, since this was holdered so long ago in its original NGC slab, is it possible that JA himself graded it when he was still with NGC? Would certainly be an ironic twist with it now having been beaned by JA.

Perhaps this timeline is instructive.

The Olsen Specimen of the 1913 Liberty Head Nickel sold for a then record sum of $100,000 in the year prior to the 1973 Hawaii Five-0 show in which it was prominently featured.

In 1986 John Albanese co-founded PCGS and remained with PCGS for a year.

In 1987 John Albanese started his own company, NGC. Unable to verity just how long he remained with NGC, but by 2007 had departed to found CAC.

So if the PCGS graded Olsen Specimen that TDN acquired in 1999 (then holdered as a 64 per TDN's recollection) it is possible that JA personally graded it if it was graded by PCGS in 1986.

Since JA was apparently with NGC for a period of time that included a few years after 1999 then he may have also personally graded it again after TDN's ownership of the coin.

The above posted photo I took of the Hawaii Five-0 Coin in a NGC holder, also graded as a 64, was taken at the 2009 ANA Money Show held in Portland, Oregon. It was on display there along with the McDermott/Bebee Specimen of the 1913 Liberty Head Nickel.

The coin is now in a NGC holder graded as a 64+ with a CAC sticker.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file