Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A few ANA Medals and the Original boxes they came in

coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 28, 2021 2:35PM in U.S. Coin Forum

A picked up a1982 and 1988 ANA Medal sets. I've only seen them available in the plastic holders and always wondered if the plastic was original or not. I even asked several times but never received an answer. Well today both of these arrived and found out the the original ANA medals indeed come in nice presentation boxes and you were able to order back then the plastic holders for them.
I'm posting this for people like me that always wondered if they came in the plastic holders or not. Some are white, some are blue.
Haven't figured out what the color difference in the plastic matters but below are the original cases and one has the original paper that you can order the plastic holder extra if you like.

1982 MACO Boston Mass. 91st Anniversary silver and bronze with the small bronze set #77

1988 MACO Cincinnati Bicentennial Silver and Bronze set 135/230

Comments

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are cool, nice pickups. I like the ‘88 designs best.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

I attended the 1988 Cincinnati convention but remember very little about it. All I seem to recall is John J. Ford giving a talk but I can't really remember just what it was about. I'm not even sure it was at that convention. This is odd because I recall all the other ANA conventions I attended very well.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@291fifth said:
    I attended the 1988 Cincinnati convention but remember very little about it. All I seem to recall is John J. Ford giving a talk but I can't really remember just what it was about. I'm not even sure it was at that convention. This is odd because I recall all the other ANA conventions I attended very well.

I guess it wasn't all that memorable for you ;)
    But, at least they had nice medals

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice medals Stef.... and good work on the research.... You are a great numismatic detective... :) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Learn something new everyday! Didn't know that about the capital holders. Cool medals. :)

Only have one ANA set with the 1969 Gasparro Liberty Cap design. Plus the large badge. Need just the smaller one.

• Options

@coinJP said:
    Learn something new everyday! Didn't know that about the capital holders. Cool medals. :)

Only have one ANA set with the 1969 Gasparro Liberty Cap design. Plus the large badge. Need just the smaller one.

I’m glad I was able to help you out. I asked several times here but never had an answer. I will assume the older guys knew and thought surely everyone will know this…….. ;)

And, that’s the only one I don’t have that I wanted. Can’t find it anywhere for a fair price.

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm particularly partial to the 1977 - Atlanta Medals. You have a set of those, don't you? Or were those in the "Capital" plastic holder only?

Love to see them again. I need to find me a set . . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    edited September 29, 2021 1:58PM

@ZoidMeister said:
    I'm particularly partial to the 1977 - Atlanta Medals. You have a set of those, don't you? Or were those in the "Capital" plastic holder only?

Love to see them again. I need to find me a set . . . . .

Z

Not the original…..This was the set I was asking about cause they come in white and blue plastic.
    I saw the set about a year or so ago but never found the answers, so I went and bought another
    several months ago.

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2021 8:00PM

@ZoidMeister I have the same 1977 Atlanta Dahlonega Reverse set (#158). For the one I have, I obtained it from the original owner (now deceased) who received it directly from the convention.

Thanks to @coinsarefun for leading me to this thread.

I will see about taking better macro pictures of mine and re-post here. I hope to learn more about the date range of these and mintage. Thanks everyone. Do you think David S. of the ANA library might be able to help?

• Tim

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    edited October 11, 2021 8:40PM

ANA Convention Medal 1977 Atlanta Georgia #158... the medals...

Inside the box was some (larger qty. than what is needed) special paper used to protect the plastic along with this cut sheet stating how to 'sandwich' the display together.

• Tim

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinsarefun said:

@coinJP said:

I’m glad I was able to help you out. I asked several times here but never had an answer. I will assume the older guys knew and thought surely everyone will know this…….. ;)

And, that’s the only one I don’t have that I wanted. Can’t find it anywhere for a fair price.

Perhaps @CaptHenway will know more on these?

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2021 7:29AM

Sorry, but I don't know why the ANA offered them in both the plush holders and the (far superior in my opinion) Capital Plastics holders. As I (very vaguely) recall they were doing it that way when I started there in 1978, and I never heard it discussed as to why.

Perhaps they switched to the plastic ones at some point because they offered better protection and took up less room in storage, but continued to offer the plush cases to accommodate the older members who had older sets in the older holders and wanted all their sets to match. You might find out when they first started offering the Capital Plastics holders by looking through the Numismatist back issues online.

I do remember that when gold and silver shot up during the Hunt Brothers bubble they were still selling older sets at old prices, and certain employees bought up the old sets (which were all in the plastic holders) still in stock and scrapped out the gold and silver ones. I shall name no names.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@CaptHenway said:
    Sorry, ...
    certain employees bought up the old sets (which were all in the plastic holders) still in stock and scrapped out the gold and silver ones. I shall name no names.

So you are stating it is feasible there may be much less out there than the original anticipated or produced mintage figures? Interesting. Thanks for the idea on back issues looking for a history lesson. Good idea Captain.

• Options

A few were indeed melted, but not many.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

I might go as far as to say a fair amount of these are melted because after only a few years
    of searching and trying to put together the ones I like they are difficult to find.
    I remember when I was going to the shows they always a few but never in the original holders.
    But this back several years ago.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Just found me a set within my budget.

Posted elsewhere but it belongs here as well.

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    edited November 15, 2021 10:38AM

@coinsarefun , @sedulous , @CaptHenway , @MWallace , @Zoins ,

I have been doing a little digging around trying to get the annual mintage and other questions answered. A member on a different forum was gracious enough to send me the attached report. I received it in printed form, and scanned it to a PDF to share.

This document seems to contain information on the ANA sets produced between 1910 and stopping at the NMS in 2005. ANA catalog numbers are listed for all medals as well as a bit of cryptic information on how they might have been packaged.

The column header "CV" was not know to the individual I received this list from, but I am guessing it might represent "clamshell velvet" as opposed to the "plexiglass holder" Capitol style presentation case?

The handwritten annotations in the borders are unknown as well.

This might help unearth recollections from those who might have been associated with the production of these?

I hope this helps. Attached is the information received in downloadable format (PDF).

Z

• Options

I would guess that CV = Current Value. Looks like somebody's price list.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file