Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Early Gold GTG Crossover Follow Up

ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭

I posted this coin a few weeks back for GTG. I trusted my eye on what was a risky purchase at the price, but ultimately got the results I was after. I do believe the coin deserves a “+” and may try at a later time. I’m very pleased with the coin overall. Phil at PCGS did the coin more justice than I ever could with my phone images.

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, it appears JA wrote what I was thinking! Nice coin!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow is what I was thinking as well, that's an amazing coin!

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2021 9:06PM

Did you try first to see if it would sticker at MS64 in the NGC holder before crossing to the lower grade? Have to think JA would have liked it in either holder.

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is one amazing coin. I hope to be able to purchase one for my type set.

• Options

@1northcoin said:
    Did you try first to see if it would sticker at MS64 in the NGC holder before crossing to the lower grade? Have to think JA would have liked it in either holder.

Based on the seller, I was almost certain it had been tried in the previous holder. That was a tough call for me. Maintaining the fresh factor vs. possibly getting a sticker at 64.

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lovely, unmolested early half eagle. The true view looks fantastic. You nailed it on this one, Justin!

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very, very nice gold coin....I could definitely see a + there.... Super detail.... Has been well preserved. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome coin!

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin. One of my favor old gold designs.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, i think I'd get the note from JA encapsulated too!

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way to go! Super coin and really glad it all worked out. Trust your eye, you have a good one!

• Options
    QE GuyQE Guy Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭✭

yowza

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice color and great coin.

• Options
    PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing coin! Great photos. Need one of these. B)

• Options
    PickwickjrPickwickjr Posts: 556 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulation
    Perfect coin for your collection.
    That’s a cool bonus when you opened that package!

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats, looks like a lovely coin. I take it at this price/grade, you crossed it to PCGS?

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stunning! Congrats on the cross and the sticker.

• Options
    JonBrand83JonBrand83 Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin.

Jbknifeandcoin.com
    IG: jb_rarities

• Options
    earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great outcome!

• Options

@ShadyDave said:
    Congrats, looks like a lovely coin. I take it at this price/grade, you crossed it to PCGS?

Down-crossed it to PCGS.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Proofmorgan said:

@1northcoin said:

Based on the seller, I was almost certain it had been tried in the previous holder. That was a tough call for me. Maintaining the fresh factor vs. possibly getting a sticker at 64.

“Almost certain”—was it a situation where you couldn’t ask the seller outright or something? It does have the look of a coin where JA may have beaned it as a NGC 64, too….which is in the ballpark of a 6k+ price bump over the down-cross-and-bean isn’t it? I’m just spit balling here. Seriously sweet piece regardless!

• Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an all around fantastic coin! I love the color.

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin! Looks good to me as a 63; I might try for a + but I wouldn't try for a 64.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmmmm. If you want the + then specify that on the minimum grade during crossover. If they refuse, then you have more information with which to make a decision spending more money on grading attempts.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    Hmmmmm. If you want the + then specify that on the minimum grade during crossover. If they refuse, then you have more information with which to make a decision spending more money on grading attempts.

Great advice. Never thought of that before.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2021 7:53PM

You took a downgrade on this? How much did you lose? Wow unbelievable. Technically $10k loss (between 63-64).

So the seller probably tried cross at same grade (beep) then got rid of it. So lose money on holder game but try get some back with sticker game.

This example case in point - Big ticket numismatic material has its risks.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still, since JA thought so highly of it one has to wonder if he would have stickered in the NGC holder with the higher grade. Now that would have been a win-win.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file