Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is this 2007 Jefferson Nickel error coin worth?

I recently found a 2007 Jefferson Nickel with three zeros and the y in liberty missing. What might this coin be worth? Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2021 10:41AM

@tzam144 a picture/photo would really help

Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Worth 5 cents unless pictures prove otherwuse.

Also, what "three zeros" could be missing on a 2007 nickel? :#

Probably a grease filled die, but could be Post Mint Damage.

• Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2021 10:44AM

It sounds like the coin was likely struck through grease, but that is mere speculation without a photo to see. Also, aren't there only 2 zeros that can be missing.

image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options

How do I add an image? Sorry new to the forum and the image is copied onto my desk top so no URL.

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

:s

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Drag and drop a jpg in the reply (text) box below, super easy.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭✭✭

link does not work for me

• Options

Yeah its super irritating that the photo wont just drag and drop into the discussion box.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2021 11:39AM

I'm assuming that this is the one, same question you asked on the NGC forum. As to your question there appears to be an area along the rim that was filled with grease. The extra zero looks added after it left the mint to me.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

Well I wish I could get a phot up but there is a third zero up and to the left of the second zero in 2007 and the t is missing in liberty. Hopefully I can get an image up at some point.

• Options

Yes that is the one. Thanks a bunch. What do you all think?

• Options

So if the zero was added after it left the mint, I guess that would make it counterfeit as opposed to an error?

• Options

We need way better photos of both sides.

I think it could be a dropped number error and super cool if it is.

• Options

Ya it's a dropped number error. :):):)

• Options

If I were to send it to NGC would they be able to verify if it is in fact a dropped number error? I looked at the reverse pretty closely and it seemed in pretty good shape.

• Options

Yes if you send it in as a mint error.

Very cool find with great eye appeal.

• Options

What is so cool about your coin is that the fact that is is heavily grease filled and you can clearly see one of the Zeros is super clean because the filled part had fallen out and got between the die and planchet.

• Options

Thanks. I started coin roll hunting a few weeks ago and I've found it to be something I really enjoy, its actually pretty relaxing. I mainly stick with pennies but I like the nickels becasue their pretty easy to go through becasue their so much larger than pennies. I'm going to post some more photos on the NGC forum.

• Options

tzam, BTW welcome to the forum.

As to coin roll hunting, well you found a huge error coin early on, most do not have your luck. So awesome.

Keep up the search :)

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

or, since we are on a PCGS board, you could submit it to PCGS

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

A decent find

• Options

Good point about the PCGS board, I'll have to get a membership.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should be easy to tell if it were a dropped number - is the extra zero incuse (struck into the surface, not raised like the other 2 Zeros)??

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Should be easy to tell if it were a dropped number - is the extra zero incuse (struck into the surface, not raised like the other 2 Zeros)??

I think a dropped letter would be flush (struck into) with the surface, not incuse.

• Options

Its sunk in behind the other numbers.

• Options
    edited September 27, 2021 12:50PM

@JBK said:

@Steven59 said:

[I think a dropped letter would be flush (struck into) with the surface, not incuse.]

I'm guessing the number fell out of the coin after the strike.
    https://coinauctionshelp.com/dropped-letter-mint-error/
    "Dropped letter happens when a die’s letter cavity is compacted with grease and debris and is eventually jarred loose, falling onto the planchet and then is struck into the surface of the coin. The struck through a dropped letter will create and incuse of the letter and it must be the same size and font style found on the coin is struck into"

• Options

@tzam144 said:
    [ Its sunk in behind the other numbers. ]

Sounds like it then - nice find!

• Options

That's what it looks like, its the same as the other zeros it looks like maybe the off zero got struck on top of a portion of the first zero in the 2007 while being stuck underneath the second zero in the 2007.

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@JBK said:

@Steven59 said:

[I think a dropped letter would be flush (struck into) with the surface, not incuse.]

I'm guessing the number fell out of the coin after the strike.
    https://coinauctionshelp.com/dropped-letter-mint-error/
    "Dropped letter happens when a die’s letter cavity is compacted with grease and debris and is eventually jarred loose, falling onto the planchet and then is struck into the surface of the coin. The struck through a dropped letter will create and incuse of the letter and it must be the same size and font style found on the coin is struck into"

I might well be wrong, but whether it is flush or incuse depends on whether or not the debris is retained or fell off the coin.

A dropped letter is just a "struck thru", with the material being stuff that fell out of a letter in the die. Once struck into the planchet it can be retained (flush) or falls out (incuse).

• Options

Thanks.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you take a picture with your cell phone of both sides of the coin?
    Save that picture to your computer.
    Now click the landscape picture above in your posting page.
    This will allow you to post your picture by clicking on the photo and selecting the save button.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tzam144.... Welcome aboard... Cool find for roll hunting... Send it in and let us know how it goes. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tzam144 said:
    How do I add an image? Sorry new to the forum and the image is copied onto my desk top so no URL.

when you make a post, above it is a line allowing additional things. The last on the right is a square with a sun and mountain in it. Hit that and it allows you to add a link if on internet or upload a picture from your computer if a saved file. Choose that one (choose files). Once you hit the file to upload a line starts going across the top of your post, once it is complete your picture has been uploaded and will show up when you post your comment. :)

• Options

I tried taking a picture with my phone but unfortunately its too blurry for it to be worth anything, so much for the amazing apple camera.

• Options

Try pulling back and then zooming in (instead of getting the camera close to the coin). That's what I do.

• Options

IMO, Something is wrong here.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tzam144 said:
    If I were to send it to NGC would they be able to verify if it is in fact a dropped number error? I looked at the reverse pretty closely and it seemed in pretty good shape.

@ErrorsOnCoins

As I recently found out, NGC does not recognize nor authenticate dropped letters. PCGS does.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MWallace said:

@tzam144 said:

@ErrorsOnCoins

As I recently found out, NGC does not recognize nor authenticate dropped letters. PCGS does.

If I can find the flip that they returned it to me in stating such I'll post it. I may no longer have it.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

• Options

Thanks for the heads up about NGC. WAYNEAS, what is it that you see wrong?

• Options

@tzam144 said:
    Thanks for the heads up about NGC. WAYNEAS, what is it that you see wrong?

No pictures! It is impossible to make an accurate judgement without them.
    Try stabilizing your phone on a box or books. Zoom in and snap the photo.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

OP - got your message -

As others have mentioned, it's very difficult, from the photos,
    to make a determination that is 100% accurate. I see what others
    see in your photo. Looks like it could be a dropped letter, yes, but
    can't be sure of it from what I see in the photo.

Sorry I can't be of more help at this point.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use an iPhone 7. Set on photo, use my finger to to enlarge 2-3 times. Practice a lot different lighting. I try different spots around the house. $10 stand helps mostly practice. My settings are ok but experiment

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

Thanks for the tip

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file