Home U.S. Coin Forum

1965 Kennedy - Is this SMS or business strike? Worth slabbing?

Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m planning on submitting a few coins at the Long Beach Show. I’m narrowed down to just a few coins and this is one of them. Do you think this is a SMS or a business strike? Do you think this is worth getting slabbed?

Mr_Spud

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not if those marks on Kennedy's face are really there.... Definitely not. Cheers, RickO

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's pretty beat up so I don't think it merits a slab.

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2021 3:48PM

Thanks, that narrows it down even further as to what I plan on submitting. The scuffs are there on the cheek and neck, but not deep, more like luster breaks. I don’t remember where this coin came from, but I was thinking I might have something good if it is a business strike and if PCGS didn’t mark it down too much for the light scuffs. I can’t see any other hits or defects anywhere else on the coin.

Mr_Spud

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Problem is those scuffs are in a prime focal point.

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2021 7:38AM

If you want, have it graded.
    A really nice looking coin.
    I personally would not but so many of us have been wrong interpreting pictures.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• NickelMikeNickelMike Posts: 189 ✭✭✭

Save your money

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would you even consider slabbing that? It is melting pot material with those marks on JFK's face.

All glory is fleeting.

I was considering slabbing it as a long shot chance that it is a circulation strike that might get a high grade because the scuffs on the face are the only marks on the coin. I have 8 grading vouchers to use up but only about 5 coins worth slabbing so I went through some old boxes of raw coins looking for some coins that might be worthwhile to try as long shots.

Mr_Spud

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you were looking to buy a high grade coin, would you choose one with similar marks on it?

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't waste my time with that coin.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard pass.

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s an SMS anyway.

edited September 27, 2021 5:58PM

@CoinscratchFever said:
    It’s an SMS anyway.

Thanks, the other SMS’s I have all have mirrors like a proof, but this one doesn’t remotely resemble a proof.

Mr_Spud

@Mr_Spud said:

@CoinscratchFever said:
    It’s an SMS anyway.

Thanks, the other SMS’s I have all have mirrors like a proof, but this one doesn’t remotely resemble a proof.

Well it’s either that or its PL like, going by the reflective surfaces on the obverse, nose and forehead.
    The overall look as well strikes me as an SMS.

• CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

Other than the slabbing question.

From past information I have read on this, I’m not even sure there is a definitive way to tell if a coin 1965 through 1967 coin, is a business strike or SMS.

What characteristics determine whether a coin is a business strike or SMS?

Of course, the 1965, if still in the flat pack is a sure way. But how about the 1966 and 1967 coins that can be swapped out of the special mint sets?

edited September 27, 2021 7:43PM

@CoinHoarder said:
    Other than the slabbing question.

From past information I have read on this, I’m not even sure there is a definitive way to tell if a coin 1965 through 1967 coin, is a business strike or SMS.

I was wondering the same thing. Ignoring the scuffmarks on the cheek and neck for a moment, I really can’t tell if this is a business strike or a SMS.

Mr_Spud

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinHoarder said:

I am certainly no expert but my opinion is that if it too nice it is called an SMS; between the overworked dies and the poor mint quality the business strikes were never very good for much of the 60's and early 70's.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

SMS.
    And...no.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

I have seen mistakes in the Special mint coins even in the 2005d cent. Here is the CoinFacts pic which even though it's listed in business strike it is clearly a satin finish SMS. I heard tell this is in Hansen's collection but cannot confirm.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file