Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Wow ! this is new for a coin show !!!!!!

PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was set up at a small show in western PA and towards the end this happens .
Some left their infant child in a stroller in front of my table.
NO ONE around for about 10 minuets .
I could not believe some one would just leave a child alone and go shopping!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Comments

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well they knew there were no concerns….lots of trustworthy people at coin shows!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did they say anything when they went to claim the child? Did you charge them a baby sitting fee?

Maybe you need a sign saying you’ll baby sit at a rate of one gold coin per 10 minutes.

• Options

To be honest I didn't know what to say when they came back??

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭

As a former corrections officer, nothing surprises me anymore! Charge them a parking fee for being at your table and taking up space without shopping :D

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe they're really trying to get the kid into coin collecting earlier than most. B)

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

What did you give the YN??

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

Smh...

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm certain that I would have politely chewed the parent(s) out. There is NO excuse.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow.... That is unreal..... It shocks me that someone would do that....I assume they were not sitting at the next table... They should send that parent(s) to parenting class... and make them read the list of missing children. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

You should likely have alerted security and had them speak with the "parents". It might resonate more if they were to (very) briefly think their child were missing than to simply have someone sitting for them.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would assume that they left the child, like at a hospital or police station. I would have a page sent out, then call police if no one responded.

thefinn
  • Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭

shoulda hid the kid in the trunk of your car

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tcollects said:
    shoulda hid the kid in the trunk of your car

Humor acknowledged, but
    2 wrongs do not make a right.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PTVETTER said:

At least they didn't leave the child locked up in a sweltering car like some parents do.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

There’s a special area in a very hot place for people like them.
    👿👹

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some years ago I had a store in a shopping mall. Two young men were there for an unreasonable time and began to become disruptive. I asked where their parents were and they told me mom told them to stay in our store and not to spend any money! Well, I had each sit on the floor in opposite corners until mom came to pick them up. She was mortified that I disciplined her children. I responded that if she wouldn’t be around to do it I would take care of it in my store and that we were not a babysitting service but an actual business.

Some people……..

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    edited September 27, 2021 7:31AM

;)
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    edited September 27, 2021 7:32AM

B)
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    edited September 27, 2021 7:33AM

o:) .
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    edited September 27, 2021 7:33AM

Moved 4 humor posts to correct location. :)
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:

@PTVETTER said:

At least they didn't leave the child locked up in a sweltering car like some parents do.

Almost nobody does that intentionally, and it's a tragedy when it happens. This was likely intentional.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I read this story I thought of the film "The Unholy Three".

I hope that the OP did not have anything stolen while the "infant" was there.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WillieBoyd2 said:

I had the same thought. That would be the ultimate distraction especially if the baby is crying.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@WillieBoyd2 said:

I had the same thought. That would be the ultimate distraction especially if the baby is crying.

One can't be careful these days 🤥

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny9434 said:

@PerryHall said:

@WillieBoyd2 said:

I think you mean "too careful". ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2021 9:09AM

Some people have a very short attention...(squirrel)…span.

No excuse though.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@johnny9434 said:

@PerryHall said:

@WillieBoyd2 said:

I think you mean "too careful". ;)

Yes, too careful, t.y.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:

@koynekwest said:

@PTVETTER said:

Almost nobody does that intentionally, and it's a tragedy when it happens. This was likely intentional.

It's not uncommon for small children to be intentionally left in a hot car.

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW just Wow

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options

The child in the stroller was just fine.
    No distraction nothing missing!

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

We live in a crazy world. My fear would have been an accusation of kidnapping. And would have let security, fellow dealers around me know immediately. I would have got very vocal with everyone...shouting, "hey, someone left a baby over here!",
    Yeah, that problem would have been solved very quickly.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe this would be considered neglect of a dependent,,,,,,,, those parents don't deserve to have a child.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

You should have taken the baby to lost and found! >:)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file