Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

09SVDB Second one for today, this is a PHONY as well!

MarkW63MarkW63 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭✭

"I Prefer Dangerous Freedom Over Peaceful Slavery"
Thomas Jefferson!

Comments

• Options
    MizzouMizzou Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭

Amazing detail on the reverse but, for some reason he just can't seem to capture the obverse. Oddly enough the same seller has an entire set of wheat cents for only $150 more but he can't seem to get a good shot of the early dates.

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mizzou said:
    Amazing detail on the reverse but, for some reason he just can't seem to capture the obverse. Oddly enough the same seller has an entire set of wheat cents for only $150 more but he can't seem to get a good shot of the early dates.

Also oddly enough, completely different background and lighting for the obverse and reverse shots...

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options

Well, I guess he wasn't satisfied with the image of the obverse of the coin so reloaded a new image, and I must say its way better than their first attempt :D
    Its still just as phony, this is from the same group as the one I got burnt on so I've seen these before!

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

OP, why do you continue to search for these raw? Most of the non problem examples have been certified. Why take the risk of a fake or unseen staple scratch?

• Options

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    OP, why do you continue to search for these raw? Most of the non problem examples have been certified. Why take the risk of a fake or unseen staple scratch?

I replied to this once but now I don't see the post?
    I think your missing my mission, I'm not looking for one of these for myself, I have one that I finely bought for my collection that is (was) slabbed and graded. What happened is when I got burnt on my first go around with this coin and after I came to this forum for help and advice I spent a great deal of time researching altered and counterfeited 09SVDB's and then I started watching ebay's newly listed ones several times a day spotting phonies, well even after I got mine I had gotten in a habit of going through the newly listed ones for so long I just kept doing it. I spot them and post them on here for open discussions, the members here pick over them, point out the problems, others deem them needing reported or send messages to the sellers to see if they would be honest enough to take down the listing. So, the members that follow these threads seems to be fine with finding these and saving a lot of people from getting ripped of, so I keep doing it.
    Thanks For The Comment!

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the pictures and the effort to bring attention to these fakes. Hopefully, you stop some people from losing money and leaving the hobby. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MarkW63, you are definitely saving some unsuspecting people time and money.
    Thanks for your continued effort in finding and reporting them.
    I know that it would take a little more effort on your side but please state why the coin is a fake for those that do not know. Thank you in advance. :)
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@WAYNEAS said:
    @MarkW63, you are definitely saving some unsuspecting people time and money.
    Thanks for your continued effort in finding and reporting them.
    I know that it would take a little more effort on your side but please state why the coin is a fake for those that do not know. Thank you in advance. :)
    Wayne

Thank you Wayne, I'll do that, in many cases once the threads get going all of us make our points which leads to the confirmation as a group as to the coin being phony and why, its the general consensuses as a group that leads to a confirmation of action taking or not in working to get the listings removed, that's why its a GROUP effort and that's why its good to have people following these threads. In many cases it leads to maybe even several people contacting the buyers first and then actual ebay reporting. I can spot them, but sometime some are questionable and I had to STOP posting links to "POSSIBLES" and I also had to STOP pointing out in the title post what I THINK is the problem with the coin before the more knowledgeable have had a chance to look at it. I've gotten into pretty hot water a couple of times for making those mistakes and so I had to adjust the way I post the coins and adjust the title post contents to be as acceptable to as many forum members as possible.
    Your right about saving unsuspecting buyers LOTS of money and heartaches, we've seen LOTS of these phonies that serious bidders in the range of a $1,000 about to buy either an altered or total counterfeit coin and in many cases the seller once notified in a proper manner will take down the listing down themselves, but! there has also been some not so honest sellers that wouldn't and the members here (powers that be) will take up the issue with ebay and ebay takes the listings down.
    So, on the ones I'm certain of I'll make it a point of what the phony marker is, the questionable ones will have to play out in the thread as a group effort.
    Thank you Wayne for following my discussions (09SVDB threads)

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gone.

• Options

@golden said:
    Gone.

The Wind Blew, and POOF another down. Perfect B)
    Thanks Everyone, its about a group effort that so many of the sells of these phonies have been blocked. I hope that the honest sellers will either archive them for a counterfeit collection or destroy them, in either case its gets them out of circulation.

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options

I checked the link in the OP and it looks as though ebay removed the listing!
    In any case its good that its gone!!

Thomas Jefferson!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file