Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

is it just the newbie submitters who don't know what they are doing that is backing things up?

I just did a search on 4sharps site by most recent items. I keep hearing all the low grades are from newbies who have no idea what they are looking at. I found it interesting that 4sharp has a pretty nice selection of PSA 8 and lower 80's cards. not something I have really seen in the past.......... guess they have a thing or two to learn about what should be graded .....

Comments

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be the worst grader ever for 80s cards - I can never tell the difference between an 8 through 10. That '86 Fleer Mattingly and '85 Strawberry above look like they are centered well and have sharp corners. I can't imagine 9s and 10s looking any better.

• parthur1607parthur1607 Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

Those aren’t the worst I’ve seen. At least those cards are worth grading if they get a 9 or 10. I have seen commons from the late 80s early 90s that wouldn’t sell for $3 even if they were 10s! That’s what has PSA backed up. People thinking that just because the card is 30 years old it must be worth something but they didn’t do any research before submitting.

• CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 398 ✭✭✭

There have been more cards graded from 2018 than from 1989. I think 1989 is the highest pop from the 80s. I just glanced. Only at baseball. I think the ultra modern stuff is flooding in. Cards that are 10s 85% of the time.

• ckimckim Posts: 24 ✭✭

Well to be fair to the newbies, these prolly were submitted mid-late 2020 @$8-10/card and perhaps they 're only unloading poorly graded cards keeping the 9/10s in PC...not that bad of move if you ask me. In hindsight I'll be submitting everything under the sun @$10/card in 2020 if given the opportunity.

• I would think it's newbie graders

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CardGeek said:
    There have been more cards graded from 2018 than from 1989. I think 1989 is the highest pop from the 80s. I just glanced. Only at baseball. I think the ultra modern stuff is flooding in. Cards that are 10s 85% of the time.

its not just ultra modern that caused the back up. its modern, its 80s, its vintage, its pokemon, its fortnite, its wrestling cards, marvel cards, gpk, its everything and all at once. and most of it during the same few days. a couple of times over. yes, w new releases happening each month, modern will stay the #1 category when opening back up, but theres no pointing the blame at any one segment of the hobby. been around long enough to never say “never”, but it will be very hard to ever repeat what just occurred.

Look at basketball. 2019 basketball cards. 1.5 million cards graded from 2019. That's the largest pop of any year basketball PSA has ever graded. 2019. By nearly 3 times. 2018 basketball, 600 thousand cards graded. 2018 is 2nd place for graded basketball pop. Defies logic.

Baseball, 1989 has had 20 years to build pop. Yet 2018 is beating 1989.

I understand everything is getting graded. But, Ultra Modern cards are flooding in. In, I'm sure, every category.

• @GOBUCKS said:
    I don't get this argument and its big on FB too. Someone offers a service for a fee, someone has their own money and would like to take part on the service. Is it anyone else's concern ? And the funny thing is when I have seen this on FB I asked the person complaining to post a screenshot of their PSA subs from their account and it always turns out they rarely sub anything anyway. This one dude was a big fat ass and I asked him to stop clogging up the McDonald's drive thru...

😂 Ok

edited September 27, 2021 10:58AM

@CardGeek said:
    Look at basketball. 2019 basketball cards. 1.5 million cards graded from 2019. That's the largest pop of any year basketball PSA has ever graded. 2019. By nearly 3 times. 2018 basketball, 600 thousand cards graded. 2018 is 2nd place for graded basketball pop. Defies logic.

I understand everything is getting graded. But, Ultra Modern cards are flooding in. In, I'm sure, every category.

because until recently 1989 which was referred to as the junk wax era werent subbed much iutside guys like griffey/smoltz, etc.. wait three - six months. youll surely see a meteoric rise. look at what happened to jordan cards. EVERYTHING jordan started getting subbed. in 1 month something like 150k 90 fleer cards popped.

youre just seeing a ton of 2019 because it was already in line due to just releasing. it never would not have been. maybe not as much, but still. just like 2018 had a big run up in early 2019 before covid. 2018 tcu was numbered hmt55. why? because the “hmt” stood for “holiday mega” so of course pops went crazy in 2019. it was that way and will continue to be that way from here on out.

and i still havent heard exactly why youre complaining? what sub(s) and cards of yours that are being held up? and why werent they subbed prior, especially if they are pre-18, pre-89? im not saying this, but by using your logic, one could say that if your cards are anything pre-19 then you are the one clogging up the system. you had plenty of time to sub those cards. years even. see how easy that is to isolate one segment when we throw all reality out the window?

@cardgeek

and theres plenty of stories of folks subbing ‘89 griffeys, at the $300 level, that came back psa 6s. the 100 card sub of ‘89 score mantles. just because it was mantle.

since you like to point fingers, one could certainly say they are part of the problem. i wouldnt say that because i dont know the circumstances behind the submitter. maybe they were his personal cards, his brothers that just died, who knows? maybe people should just let people sub what they want and not worry about it?

You're right, my 10 card 1983 Tony Alva RC sub at PSA right now is probably the problem. It's completely slowing down the guys submitting 1.5 million 2019 basketball cards.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

edited September 27, 2021 4:49PM

@CardGeek said:
    You're right, my 10 card 1983 Tony Alva RC sub at PSA right now is probably the problem. It's completely slowing down the guys submitting 1.5 million 2019 basketball cards.

why did you decide to sub those at the time you did? you had years to do so previously. and the answer is because thats what EVERYBODY else did. so yes you are part of the “problem” (the influx sucks but i dont consider it a problem). as am i. as are the basketball guys, the baseball guys, the pokemon guys and everyone else that came outta the woodworks. youre just the only one pointing the fingers at others because your alva sub is held up that coulda been submitted 20 years ago. sorry the basketball guys are ahead of you in line and the alvas are dropping in price.

edited September 27, 2021 4:57PM

They weren't relevant in 1983. Tony Alva wasn't a legend in 1983. He was a kid with an uncertain future. PSA didn't exist in 1983. They're also from a genre that has been overlooked and is under appreciated.

Remember Steve Smith and Stacey Augmon 1991-92 Fleer basketball? Those guys were hot list.

edited September 27, 2021 5:36PM

@CardGeek said:
    They weren't relevant in 1983. Tony Alva wasn't a legend in 1983. He was a kid with an uncertain future. PSA didn't exist in 1983. They're also from a genre that has been overlooked and is under appreciated.

Remember Steve Smith and Stacey Augmon 1991-92 Fleer basketball? Those guys were hot list.

i said 20 years, not 40 years. psa has been here for 20 years. that woulda gave ya 20 years to have subbed your alvas, right? why didnt you? its a rhetorical question. i know why.

but this is exactly my point. EVERYTHING got hot. including your 83 alvas. youre just the only one pointing fingers. you arrived late to the park on a sunny saturday and are just mad that there are 1.5 million other customers in front of you so you bah humbug what others have submitted.

I didn't sub them 20 years ago because I did not own them. They were not relevant. They may not be relevant now. Don't know. I do know that the pop is 1. Not approaching 10,000.

You know how you said 1989 is the junk wax era. It's called the junk wax era because there was an absolute ton of it made. But, there were more cards made in 2018 and 2019 than any other time ever. I'm pretty sure 2018 and 2019 is the new junk wax era. Or junk foil era.

@CardGeek said:
    I didn't sub them 20 years ago because I did not own them. They were not relevant. They may not be relevant now. Don't know. I do know that the pop is 1. Not approaching 10,000.

You know how you said 1989 is the junk wax era. It's called the junk wax era because there was an absolute ton of it made. But, there were more cards made in 2018 and 2019 than any other time ever. I'm pretty sure 2018 and 2019 is the new junk wax era. Or junk foil era.

never said there wasnt. point is your mad that people are in front of you, right?

No, I'm not mad about anything. I'm just talking about the numbers.

I'm sorry if I upset you with the facts.

edited September 27, 2021 6:28PM

@CardGeek said:
    No, I'm not mad about anything. I'm just talking about the numbers.

I'm sorry if I upset you with the facts.

im sorry youre still way back there. fact is, 1.5 million folks got there first. and they subbed everything under the sun. and you are upset, just not at the person you should be. yourself. instead you want to point fingers.

edited September 27, 2021 6:35PM

There aren't 1.5 million people who got there first. It's 1.5 million graded basketball cards from 2019. Almost 3 times more than from any other year. Even the years which have been around for 20 years.

These aren't people who are waiting in line. These care cards which have already been graded.

I don't believe that you don't see how this is a glaring inconsistency.

What should I be mad at myself about?

edited September 27, 2021 7:01PM

Bro, have you been drinking?

I'm stating a simple fact here. This is not my topic. Read the topic.

I don't believe I have wined about anything. I simply told you what the pop report states.

My Alva cards haven't decreased in value.

Do you even numbers bro?

edited September 27, 2021 7:39PM

and for the record i do have a ton of 19 basketball in. along w 18. both basketball and baseball. i also have a ton of 77 - 79 baseball, 1931 - 1938 golf cards, 1982 donkey kongs, 1983 star wars cards, some fortnite and gpk. an entire case of centered 83 topps rookies and stars from ripping, various years of etopps rookies, all sorts of various wrestling cards. 75 gary player rookie cards, a mountain of soto & albies. heck i might even have a few 83 alvas myself. i very well could be your worst nightmare in “clogging up” the system since you choose to look at it that way.

You're my worst nightmare huh?

I don't have to worry about you. You're going to be busy trying to pimp Gary Player rookies the rest of your life.

edited September 27, 2021 7:54PM

@CardGeek said:
    You're my worst nightmare huh?

I don't have to worry about you. You're going to be busy trying to pimp Gary Player rookies the rest of your life.

says the alva supercollector? 😉

but. they said the same thing about nicklaus rookies a few years back.

Yeah, I'm out about 25 bucks on my 12 Tony Alva RC cards.

Plus grading fees.

Skin in the game.

great. hope you do good. we done now?

• @AFLfan said:
    Been waiting to post my first-ever meme. I figure this time works pretty well. We can pretty much guarantee that no single person on this forum is clogging up the submissions, so debate all you want, but let's not get accusatory with each other.

Todd, did you ever think of becoming a wrestler? You could! They need you in WWF

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Historicalwood71 said:

@AFLfan said:
    Been waiting to post my first-ever meme. I figure this time works pretty well. We can pretty much guarantee that no single person on this forum is clogging up the submissions, so debate all you want, but let's not get accusatory with each other.

Todd, did you ever think of becoming a wrestler? You could! They need you in WWF

Lol. The handsome devil in the photo is not me. I've got a lot more hair, a lot less beard and wore my last pair of jorts about 20 years ago. But I do appreciate your efforts to assist in my professional growth.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rofles said:

I've got more hair than him, but the expression is somewhat familiar.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2021 11:06AM

Hasn't 4sharpcorners been one of PSA's largest bulk submitters for around 20 years now? Between multiple card forums I've seen plenty of examples in recent years of new collectors submitting literally anything to get graded but that isn't 4SC who has a large chunk of their business model aimed at set registry builders. I get the point that OP is trying to make but that isn't the case with this example.

edited September 28, 2021 12:26PM

@erikthredd said:
    Hasn't 4sharpcorners been one of PSA's largest bulk submitters for around 20 years now? Between multiple card forums I've seen plenty of examples in recent years of new collectors submitting literally anything to get graded but that isn't 4SC who has a large chunk of their business model aimed at set registry builders. I get the point that OP is trying to make but that isn't the case with this example.

a lot of those seem like BINs vs consignment auctions. does 4sc allow consignors to list via BIN? i didnt think they did. if they dont, its good to see they get pegged like the rest of us…at least some of the time.

edited September 28, 2021 2:35PM

@blurryface said:

@erikthredd said:

a lot of those seem like BINs vs consignment auctions. does 4sc allow consignors to list via BIN? i didnt think they did. if they dont, its good to see they get pegged like the rest of us…at least some of the time.

I’m honestly not sure, I was just pointing out that they’re not newbies seeing that they’ve literally been around forever. I’m sure they do get hit with lower grades than expected considering how much they must be submitting. Wasn’t the consensus here that they were likely getting great rates on what they subbed? Though that might have changed in the past year or two.

• @AFLfan said:

@Historicalwood71 said:

@AFLfan said:

Lol. The handsome devil in the photo is not me. I've got a lot more hair, a lot less beard and wore my last pair of jorts about 20 years ago. But I do appreciate your efforts to assist in my professional growth.

No problemto Todd! 😂👍

• Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

@CardGeek said:

yup -- that is why I have been beating the drum that those cards will not be worth it when all the dust settles on just how many cards actually end up being graded, say by the end of 2022 -- it will be mind-numbing

• Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

@blurryface said:
    @cardgeek

and theres plenty of stories of folks subbing ‘89 griffeys, at the $300 level, that came back psa 6s. the 100 card sub of ‘89 score mantles. just because it was mantle.

since you like to point fingers, one could certainly say they are part of the problem. i wouldnt say that because i dont know the circumstances behind the submitter. maybe they were his personal cards, his brothers that just died, who knows? maybe people should just let people sub what they want and not worry about it?

well, from your responses, we surely know what you submit

edited October 1, 2021 3:23AM

@blurryface said:
    and for the record i do have a ton of 19 basketball in. along w 18. both basketball and baseball. i also have a ton of 77 - 79 baseball, 1931 - 1938 golf cards, 1982 donkey kongs, 1983 star wars cards, some fortnite and gpk. an entire case of centered 83 topps rookies and stars from ripping, various years of etopps rookies, all sorts of various wrestling cards. 75 gary player rookie cards, a mountain of soto & albies. heck i might even have a few 83 alvas myself. i very well could be your worst nightmare in “clogging up” the system since you choose to look at it that way.

head scratcher post:

@Kepper19 said:

@blurryface said:
    @cardgeek

yes. 2 + 2 is 4 as well. and sorry for clogging.

but we now know youre in the “my cardboard is more important than yours crowd”.

i mean, who really cares what someone else is subbing and in a negative way?

@blurryface said:

@blurryface said:

head scratcher post:

@Kepper19 said:

@blurryface said:
    @cardgeek

yes. 2 + 2 is 4 as well.

A Friday smile for @blurryface , I hope…

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

my favorite mathematical nursery rhyme growing up…

1 & 1. we are having some fun. in the bedroom all day. and all of the night.

2 & 2…

By the way, I have nothing at PSA right now.

I blame all of you equally and formally request that you all formally request your cards back from PSA to clear the backlog. For me.

Thanks in advance.

• lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭

@parthur1607 said:
    Those aren’t the worst I’ve seen. At least those cards are worth grading if they get a 9 or 10. I have seen commons from the late 80s early 90s that wouldn’t sell for $3 even if they were 10s! That’s what has PSA backed up. People thinking that just because the card is 30 years old it must be worth something but they didn’t do any research before submitting.

sometimes people want o submit thier favorite player , even if its DIckie thon or Andy vanslyke.....people have been submitting commons since the inception.....

the Moderns is what is backlogging everything

@blurryface said:

2 & 2…

Kudos for busting out some 2 Live Crew on a sports card forum lol. ;)

• jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for laughs-- geesh, I should come here more often for Friday night entertainment.

@beachbumcollecting -- MAJOR WORK SHUTDOWNS, FREE GOVERNMENT MONEY, UNEMPLOYED PEOPLE GETTING DOUBLE UNEMPLOYMENT, PLUS PEOPLE WITH EXTRA MONEY WHO CONTINUED WORKING , PLUS ARTICLES ON MAJOR NEWS OUTLETS ABOUT AN "EXPLODING" SPORTS CARD MARKET = BACKLOG

Judging off my own work environment- the slow return of workers to the work environment contributed to major headaches and slowness in a lot of areas. Almost all businesses are still feeling last years shutdown effects. PSA was in a very, very strict business environment to operate. I feel they could have done some stuff a little better , but then again I'm not there to see "big picture" stuff they may not have had any control over. One look at the plastics and battery markets tells me all I need to know about how this C-19 stuff has hit everywhere. No one escaped work slowdowns. Its affected every facet of life.

Right now its hammer time for the PSA grading people. I'll bet right now if $50 economy and $100 regular re-opened PSA would have to shut down all subs again. They couldn't keep up = that is how many impatient people with funds to burn are right now waiting out there. Insanity is what i call it - but it's also the current reality of inflation.

On another note--

For @Rofles -- " "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

For @1951WheatiesPremium - Is there gonna be a quiz :D ??
    Thanks for the laughs.

@jeffv96masters said:
    Thanks for laughs-- geesh, I should come here more often for Friday night entertainment.

For @1951WheatiesPremium - Is there gonna be a quiz :D ??
    Thanks for the laughs.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

2 & 2…

saw this post last night. sure enough, this song was seared into my brain when i woke up.

went to the grocery store this morning. completely bored out of my mind, i started humming this tune while in the checkout line. when i got to 9 & 9 i involuntarily belted out the lyrics and gobsmacked roughly 40 people