Home U.S. Coin Forum

It never hurts to cordially ask! :)

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 24, 2021 6:15PM in U.S. Coin Forum

So I was thinking today of what has yielded me some of the neatest purchases throughout all my years within this hobby? Well I guess I started doing this back in the late 80's when dealers sent out catalogs or published CW ad listings. I'd call inquiring and usually purchased the item and then toward the end of the conversation would ask "Do you have anything else not listed which might be of interest to me?" This has worked just as well venturing online with web sites too asking the same. Using CRO's "Early Bird" as an example asking such to any dealer is like getting first shot at the bird before it's even hatched the egg. I recently asked a dealer and was sent three responding emails loaded with images of 40 fresh unlisted items. It was like being able to cherry pick a whole collection and I ended up buying 1/4 of the items which I might have missed 1/2 or more had I just casually awaited seeing their inventory update. Just figured I'd share as that one sentence not only eases the hunt, but also has the power to very positively affect your entire collecting goals.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think your buying something up front opens the door to let the dealer know you're serious and not just wasting his time. Good strategy. Thanks for passing it on.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

You were lucky. I just did that with a dealer and got the nothing reply. I don't think I am top of their go to list.

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pmh1nic said:
    I think your buying something up front opens the door to let the dealer know you're serious and not just wasting his time. Good strategy. Thanks for passing it on.

Yes even with a new dealer it works well toward building a relationship showing you are not a random fly-by-night one and done buyer.

@pcgscacgold said:
    You were lucky. I just did that with a dealer and got the nothing reply. I don't think I am top of their go to list.

Don't let this bother you since it might be a fluke, so it's worth trying again via email or by making a phone call.

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep and a fair amount of the most interesting and somewhat valuable items where purchased under the heading of
    miscellaneous.....Oops now the secret is out :#B)

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are lucky! Seems I have to pry what I want out of other dealers. I bought a coin, or thought I did, and then 5 minutes into the conversation, wait, let me check my wantlist. :s The price was offered to me....not me offering.

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent advice. I've acquired several great coins by asking dealers at shows whether they had things I was looking for that weren't in their cases.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I used to go to coin shows, I had frequent success by asking dealers if they had any 'xxxx' that were not on display. Often they would say yes and dig out some coins from their stored inventory behind the table. My collecting interests are not always in the 'popular' stream of current interests. Never hurts to ask, and often little treasures are found. Cheers, RickO

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be great if you posted a pic of a coin acquired this way so we can be envious! :D

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
    edited September 25, 2021 5:05AM

@Catbert said:
    It would be great if you posted a pic of a coin acquired this way so we can be envious! :D

My ~ Copper 4 The Weekend™ ~ item post was acquired by such asking. It was just hanging around awaiting proper imaging and offered to me via texted cellphone pics. Quite ecstatic I instantly pounced on it as in copper it's only the second example I've ever seen.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll ask at coin shows for something I'm looking for. Sometimes the dealer would ask me ahead of time. It's worked out well

• MizzouMizzou Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭

When I stop at a garage sale I always ask before leaving if they have any old guns or coins for sale. Not often but, a couple of times it paid off. The first time it was an old rusty Colt revolver that cleaned up beautifully. The second time was a fruit jar full of foreign coins. When I got home and dumped out the coins, about half of them were silver dimes, quarters ...

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is always nice when a dealer responds with enthusiasm and produces from a want list. I have had the opposite effect more often than not. I spend $$$ in a niche part of the hobby, inquire of the dealer if and when something in that niche comes up in his inventory to contact me, and I always learn about those items at the same time as everyone else.
    Makes you wonder sometimes. 🤔

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems to me that some people have better access than others to the really nice coins from some dealers. It’s definitely a good idea to build a good relationship with dealers who specialize in your area of interest.

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

It never hurts to ask.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2021 2:28PM

Great post. I like the mantra, “the worse someone can say is no, but I won’t know unless I ask”

Similar story, I recently purchased a piece of exonumia from a seller on eBay. When I received the item, it looked great and even had some original documents from the time of purchase, along with a small note that said “I have other similar items” and an email address.

I emailed and thanked the seller for sending contact info, and asked to see any other similar items that I may be interested in. To my delight, the list produced was nice and the prices were right. I ended up “cherry picking” about 90% of the additional items thinking “this is the first time these are available to market, from the original buyer, and being privately offered to me” - I couldn’t pass up the opportunity.

So I agree, it never hurts to cordially ask

It's all about what the people want...

• DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Works at yard sales too. I always ask if they have any coins for sale and almost always get told “no”. But every now then it really pays off.

Once asked an old fella that question and we talked a bit and he invited me in to see his table full of coins he was wanted to sell. While I was looking at them he says he has to go to bank and will be back in a half an hour. Floored me since we’d just met and out the door he went over my objections. I remember calling my wife to tell her I was alone in this guys house looking at a table full of silver. When he came back we did a deal for everything on the table. Next he asked me if I was interested in gold, and pulls out a bag of about 20 gold 50 pesos. I could only afford one at the time and I think it was $1100 or $1200 dollars back then. That just doesn’t happen every day.

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even when I receive an unsolicited offer, I thank the seller on their offer even if I do not accept it.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file