Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My collage of 1879 thru 1891 Seated Halves

ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 24, 2021 9:41PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Yes there are a few gaps, but I can't complain about the one I have. Grades range from XF-40 to the lone MS example, the 1883 which grades MS-62. Yes, these are maybe not considered mega rarities (low mintage but higher survival rate), but they are still a bear to find in decent condition. Edited to add the grades for each coin:

1879: AU-55
1880: XF-40
1883: MS-62
1885: XF-40
1888: AU-50 CAC
1889: XF-40
1890: AU-55
1891: AU-53

Comments

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love your collection! I think the SLH has become my favorite silver type series. I own 3 and would like to own more someday!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

They look great! 👍🏻

Mr_Spud

• Options
    1946Hamm1946Hamm Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice. It's hard to find ones like yours.

Have a good day, Gary
  • Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

All very nice!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice I like

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

83 and 91 are superstars. I love toning like that on seated coins

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have a great eye for quality stuff Elmer!

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    Yes there are a few gaps, but I can't complain about the one I have. Grades range from XF-40 to the lone MS example, the 1883 which grades MS-62. Yes, these are maybe not considered mega rarities (low mintage but higher survival rate), but they are still a bear to find in decent condition.

I've always dreamed of doing a collection like this, but never had the resources. Congratulations. I'm very glad to see such fine halves in one place.

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice group! Congratulations!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

I appreciate how they aren’t super Proof like and clearly business strikes for the most part. That can be a challenge in its self with those dates

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow that 1883! Very nice collection.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's great to admire strong details across many dates. Thanks. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely group of halves. You have excellent taste!

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like these coins. While not high MS they have very good details, no major distractions and what to my eye are original surfaces (not doctored).

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice run of tough halves.
    Heck, it’s hard just finding the common dates as nice as these!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Often, collectors go for a uniform look (which can be pleasing), but I love the variety of your set. Quite remarkable!

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice group of coins.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a very impressive set!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice set of coins. I often feel there is too much focus on high grades. Sure, I like them... However, coins that have seen commerce and still show great detail (such as yours), make a great collection. Especially these old silver coins.... They were significant money at that time. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 79 and 88 are my favorites

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great eye appeal as well.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking late dates!

Leave a Comment