Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ikes

P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just swapped out the blast white silver MS68 for the rim toned silver PR68DCAM in my sets. It fits in better with the theme of my other type coins. I should sell the '74 but might hold onto it as it's super clean and I just got it reholdered/TV'd this year.

Feel free to post your Ikes here. Would love to see them.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That '74 is a beauty..... One I would be proud to own. I have several Ike dollars, though I do not think I have one as nice as yours (been a long time since I looked at them). Cheers, RickO

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both really nice examples, but the 73 doesn't look DCAM to me.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2021 9:07AM

It’s the picture. It’s very nice in hand
    Edit
    Actually what don’t you like. Looks awesome to me 🤔

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boy, when they're nice, they're nice !

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ken
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only Ike I own at the present. Once owned a blast white silver Ike in 68.

• Options
    BigtreeBigtree Posts: 201 ✭✭✭✭✭

Recent ebay pickup for my 20th century type set album.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinCoins said:

I've seen you offer this on eBay. If I could determine the date I'd have snatched it up in an instant! Neat coin.

peacockcoins

• Options
    bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 757 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 757 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@Jzyskowski1 I meant the OP's coin. Yours is a beautiful DCAM

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    It’s the picture. It’s very nice in hand
    Edit
    Actually what don’t you like. Looks awesome to me 🤔

I agree, I know the series gets a bad rap but I think these are great coins. Looks DCAM to me!

Mark

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    @Jzyskowski1 I meant the OP's coin. Yours is a beautiful DCAM

@mark_dak jzyskowskis Ike is DCAM for sure.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@massscrew - beautiful Ike. Definitely looks like Island doubling on the reverse. Lighting on the obverse precludes identifying it at as a Wiles DDO-001 / DDR-001. Have you had a closer look?

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SPalladino said:
    @massscrew - beautiful Ike. Definitely looks like Island doubling on the reverse. Lighting on the obverse precludes identifying it at as a Wiles DDO-001 / DDR-001. Have you had a closer look?

I haven't. But next time I have it in hand I will take a look.. maybe tomorrow, thanks. I will report back with what I see and
    try <--- (operative word) to take a close up pic..

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

FS-801

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SPalladino said:
    FS-801

That is a spectacular variety!

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

They remind me of my youth but all I remember is nobody liked them back then either. My brother beat me up one day because I opened the three capsules of his bicentennial silver proof set he had got for his birthday. To be fair he was looking for a reason most days anyway….brothers :s

• Options

@david3142 said:
    I think Ikes are awesome.

Wow I am surprised PCGS holdered those, I don’t think they would today

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crypto said:

@david3142 said:

I imagine they would given that these were holdered fairly recently and I believe they are all NT (there are others from this group that came from an album and were sold by @segoja, who is an Ike expert).

• Options
    edited September 23, 2021 5:56AM

@david3142 said:

@Crypto said:

@david3142 said:

I imagine they would given that these were holdered fairly recently and I believe they are all NT (there are others from this group that came from an album and were sold by @segoja, who is an Ike expert).

There is always a story with wild toning right?

Maybeeeeeee the bottom one but not only do I think the are AT I bet they were done by the same person and entered retail the same way. But I am not involved in the chain of opinions that matter so there is that. I was also concede that there is no such thing as fake toning, if I can see them and touch them, they’re real….. wait what are we talking about again?

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crypto said:
    @david3142 said:

@Crypto said:

@david3142 said:

Maybeeeeeee the bottom one but not only do I think the are AT I bet they were done by the same person and entered retail the same way. But I am not involved in the chain of opinions that matter so there is that. I was also concede that there is no such thing as fake toning, if I can see them and touch them, they’re real….. wait what are we talking about again?

As I mentioned they came from an album (I’m pretty sure I have talked to people who saw them raw in the album) and many have consecutive Cert numbers so they definitely all toned together. Whether it was intentional or not I cannot say but based on my experience I think they are all MA. Healthy disagreement is good for the hobby and my own education though.

• Options

@david3142 said:

@Crypto said:
    @david3142 said:

@Crypto said:

@david3142 said:

As I mentioned they came from an album (I’m pretty sure I have talked to people who saw them raw in the album) and many have consecutive Cert numbers so they definitely all toned together. Whether it was intentional or not I cannot say but based on my experience I think they are all MA. Healthy disagreement is good for the hobby and my own education though.

I agree with everything you said but would point out one point; a couple of current enthusiastic buyers may not the same thing as MA in the long run especially at substantial premiums.

• Options

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2021 7:58AM

@Crypto said:

@david3142 said:

@Crypto said:
    @david3142 said:

@Crypto said:

@david3142 said:

I agree with everything you said but would point out one point; a couple of current enthusiastic buyers may not the same thing as MA in the long run especially at substantial premiums.

It's hard to predict what will happen in the future. That being said colorful Ikes seem to be fairly rare so not much demand may be needed to keep them high.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SPalladino said:
    FS-801

Nice photos.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

Look at this MS68 Blazer!

• Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

A whole bunch of pretty Ikes here, starting with the original post!!!

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@Zoins said:

@Crypto said:

@david3142 said:

@Crypto said:
    @david3142 said:

@Crypto said:

@david3142 said:

It's hard to predict what will happen in the future. That being said colorful Ikes seem to be fairly rare so not much demand may be needed to keep them high.

That’s the same market effect that art counterfeiters and auction houses count on. Just takes a few buyers to think a discredited forgery’s “story” might have legs to convince themselves it “might be real” to keep the flow of fakes flowing. Anybody who thinks those Ike’s aren’t cooked believes in magic. But if the story of mythical folders resonates and they use that to suspend rational thinking then yes, there will be at least one buyer out there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file