Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

O-pee-chee rookies from 1992 down are on fire.

If it has a PSA grade they are selling like hotcakes. Also, high grade star cards of opc are going very strong.

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

are you talking baseball? if so, its about time. I have been collecting these since the early 90s.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• Have a Puckett 8 I am trying to move...hmm...may have to raise my BIN. Thx for the intel.

• olb31olb31 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    are you talking baseball? if so, its about time. I have been collecting these since the early 90s.

Yes, baseball. But OPC Hockey rookies are great too.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been trying to buy some 1977 commons for a project of my own. Last one that I bid on sold for ten times the previous sale on VCP.

• jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

I noticed the 1978 OPC PSA 10’s are also popping.

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

have the eckersley, i think…

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Easily my favorite O-Pee-Chee…

…and the holder is only only letter off! 😂

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

edited September 21, 2021 3:15PM

^ to quote shaggy…”LIKE ZOINKS!!”

have there been any recent sales of the PSA 9 opc Brett rookie? that is one of my very favorite cards. the colors are so vivid on the 75 OPC's

That Murray is a beast!

just picked up a nice murray psa 8 a few minutes ago. hard to find centered or nearly centered.

• weaselpuppyweaselpuppy Posts: 218 ✭✭✭

Those Ecks are fantastic!!!

I love OPC baseball.

I always thought the backs were so much more vibrant than regular topps.

There are so many players I wish had an OPC rookie. Seaver, Carew, Carlton, Reggie, Molitor, Henderson, Ripken, Boggs, Clemens, McGwire, Griffey...

• Great thread. At one time, I owned all the major rookie cards in PSA 9 or 10, including Murray, Yount, Brett, Schmidt, Gwynn, etc. I kept waiting and waiting for the market to realize how rare and cool they are, but I gave up and sold and now the market is finally catching up. Oh well....good for those of you that have held on to them.

• 82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2023 9:02AM

My 1970's OPC's are not hot and go for less money than their Topps counterparts :(

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

It's much easier to locate the Topps in PSA 8, 9, 10. Hank AAron OPC cards are almost extinct compared to a Topps version. Try finding a 1974 PSA anything OPC Aaron, then go look for the Topps.

• Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

@ScoobyDoo2 said:
    My gut instinct is the Bonds, Gwynn and even HOF'ers like Eddie Murray, for example, OPC RC's lead the brigade in all things lower pop. OPC very much higher .... folks seem to discount the extremely low numbers of these titans....

wow, those are some bangers

• MacrosBMacrosB Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

One of my favorite OPC

Looking for 66 and 69 OPC baseball
    60's OPC packs
    72 BB, 60's FB, 71FB, 73FB, 74FB, 75FB, 76FB, 78FB Rack Packs
    72 and earlier BB cello
  • balco758balco758 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

A slightly depressing thread. I had ripped multiple boxes of 77-79 OPC from Steve and had 200+ graded mostly 8-9’s. Did a deal few years ago and parted with them cheap. They were taking up too much space. Good news is I only paid Steve 300-500 for each of those boxes. Ah, the good ol days.

My 2 fav remaining OPC’s.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:
    My 1970's OPC's are not hot and go for less money than their Topps counterparts.

1/14 the population of Topps in PSA 9 and yet sell for 25-40% less than the 1973 Topps #305

BTW the Mays is a rare non raw purchase , non self-subbed in my collection.

Here's another only 22% of the Topps population in PSA but sells for less than half what the Topps version commands

I'm not believing OPC are "on fire" compared to Topps other than as an exceptions for certain cards, or is it merely relegated to rookie cards?

You might check again. It appears they have only really started to take off in the past few months. If you were to auction those cards, they'd likely go for much more than you'd think.

• 82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2023 9:03AM

@daltex said:

My 1970's OPC's are not hot and go for less money than their Topps counterparts.

1/14 the population of Topps in PSA 9 and yet sell for 25-40% less than the 1973 Topps #305

Here's another only 22% of the Topps population in PSA but sells for less than half what the Topps version commands

I'm not believing OPC are "on fire" compared to Topps other than as an exceptions for certain cards, or is it merely relegated to rookie cards?

You might check again. It appears they have only really started to take off in the past few months. If you were to auction those cards, they'd likely go for much more than you'd think.

The O-Pee-Chee which only has 22% of the Topps population in PSA 9 but sells for less 60-70% less than what the Topps version commands.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

oh man, that perez is fantastic.

1971 opc is my favorite year for opc. fronts are so crisp and the backs...

• clarke442clarke442 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only picture I could find of an OPC Baseball Rookie (that I own)

I used to love listening to Montgomery calling Sox games back in the day.

@daltex said:

Can't find much to track on the May's since 2020 as for the Munson.

latest O-Pee-Chee PSA 9 sale:
    9/14/2021 $**38.00 **9 363530170032 eBay probstein123 Auction 27395272
    If it was not Probstein probably would have sold for 4-8 less...

latest Topps PSA 9 sales (I eliminated the fraudulent/shilled PWCC auction)
    8/27/2021 $96.00 9 194298944941 eBay skinners98b Auction 40852341
    8/1/2021 $129.00 9 174862677292 eBay svenmcsvee Auction 50613508:

The O-Pee-Chee which only has 22% of the Topps population in PSA 9 but sells for less 60-70% less than what the Topps version commands.

Perhaps only higher population 1980's O-Pee-Chee are in demand?

The last 1979 psa 9 Munson opc sold for $80 the other day, I was watching it and someone snagged it.

For example. One PSA 8 Yount OPC listed for $1,000, no Brett's over a 6. No Winfield's. No Rice's, No Eckersley's, No Fidrych. Very few Schmidt's. There are several Murray's and Ozzie's for about the same price as the topps, but most aren't very centered. Most OPC's of stars are approaching or tied with the Topps, which didn't used to happen. Aaron's almost always sell for more. But like I have pondered in other posts, there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason why a Topps will sell for more or why an OPC will sell for more.

Wondering what your thoughts are on the very top OPC cards?

the 1968 Ryan has to be the top OPC baseball card I believe.

I would think the 73 Schmidt and 75 Brett may round out the top 3?

would a 65 Mantle and maybe a 65 Clemente round out the top 5?

Also, very high grade Morgan, Blyleven and Murray rookies would be very desireable.

@craig44 said:

Also, very high grade Morgan, Blyleven and Murray rookies would be very desireable.

the 72 opc mets team card picturing ryan seems to be just as rare as the 68, imo.

@craig44 said:

There is no 1965 Mantle only 1966 and 1967. If you disregard the Venezuelan issues, the 1967 OPC Mantle is the rarest graded pack pulled card ever made of Mantle. 143 have ever been graded by PSA. I would say the 1987 Bonds OPC PSA 10 might be one of the best also. 1983 Gwynn and Sandberg. 1965 Rose, 1965 Aaron, 1965 Mays, and 1965 Clemente are fantastic also. Rookies - Bonds, Ryan, Gwynn, Sandberg, Mattingly, Randy Johnson, Brett, Yount, Carter, Rice, Winfield, Schmidt, Eckersley, Murray, Ozzie, Munson, Morgan, Palmer. I might have forgot about 1 or 2 but those come to mind.

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:

@craig44 said:

There is no 1965 Mantle only 1966 and 1967. If you disregard the Venezuelan issues, the 1967 OPC Mantle is the rarest graded pack pulled card ever made of Mantle. 143 have ever been graded by PSA. I would say the 1987 Bonds OPC PSA 10 might be one of the best also. 1983 Gwynn and Sandberg. 1965 Rose, 1965 Aaron, 1965 Mays, and 1965 Clemente are fantastic also. Rookies - Bonds, Ryan, Gwynn, Sandberg, Mattingly, Randy Johnson, Brett, Yount, Carter, Rice, Winfield, Schmidt, Eckersley, Murray, Ozzie, Munson, Morgan, Palmer. I might have forgot about 1 or 2 but those come to mind.

To be fair, there may not be a 1965 OPC base Mantle, but he does have 2 leaders cards plus the World Series Clutch HR card in the 1965 OPC set.

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

On the merits of the cards themselves, you've identified some good choices. But if you also account for specific grade, then due to near impossibility, then 1973 OPC card no. 1 Ruth/Mays/Aaron would be a record setter if one were to get one graded as a PSA 10.

I think 71 and 75 opc are my favorite years. The colors just pop

• lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

i have a couple of good modern opee chee rookies.

I love that thomas opc

• Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your Clemente IA is so much nicer than mine …. From the group rip years ago… just a little gum problem.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • I recently created the following post regarding the two toughest '70s baseball HOFers, both of which of course are OPC ('74 McCovey (Washington variation) and '76 Carlton):

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1060451/toughest-70s-baseball-hofers#latest

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:

@craig44 said:

I didn’t know this about ‘67 OPC and I reacted accordingly, @olb31

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

I assumed that there aren't many graded because most are so off centered or in poor condition. This is a very nice 4.

1978 opc PSA 10 Dawson sold for $836 last night on ebay. That is a strong price and probably an all time high. I think that was a $125-200 card a few years ago.

I have purchased a few 1981 opc raines PSA cards lately. I looked up the pop report on it. OPC PSA 9 - 71, PSA 10 - 7. Topps PSA 9 - 1300, psa 10 - 170. Unbelievable differences. I had no idea. Based on POP the OPC PSA 9 should be selling for almost 20 times more than the Topps version. Somewhere in the $1,500 range. I know you can't look at that way, but it's amazing how few nice OPC's exist.

As far as the Dawson, I think you are correct. I think the old price was around $300 or so. That sale it nearly three times more. I believe the 1992 OPC's and older will continue to garner attention. I have always believed that the scarcity will overtake it's popularity of the past.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two of my favorite OPC baseball unopened packs. The 71 4th series PSA 9 is a pop 1.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Fantastic. Wonder if anyone has 1965 unopened OPC packs?