Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

O-pee-chee rookies from 1992 down are on fire.

2»

Comments

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

opc mattingly rookie sales for $2,000. more than double all others except donruss and tiffany. it will blow past the donruss very soon. opc pop 50 donruss 275. not close.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2021 8:54AM

i regret not buying a 1971 CAREW OPC PSA 10 FOR 1000 12 years ago,,,,, my only regret :/

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sometimes think how cool it would have been had O PEE CHEE produced football cards during the same time as baseball

can you imagine a 76 OPC payton or an 81 OPC Montana.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I sometimes think how cool it would have been had O PEE CHEE produced football cards during the same time as baseball

can you imagine a 76 OPC payton or an 81 OPC Montana.

OPC did make CFL cards. I'm sure you meant parallel NFL as opposed to CFL, but, there are some decent OPC ones out there, like the Theisman for example.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe the the difference in demand for OPC is generational. Many folks grew up in the '60s/'70s with just one brand of card in their corner store -- Topps. Why would you collect a cheap, poorly made ripoff of Topps that probably none of your friends would be interested in?

Then there's the generation that grew up only knowing an array of manufacturers. One year, company A would have a really nice design, the next year it would be Company B. There was no brand loyalty.

Rare does not equal valuable. People need to want it, as well. While interest in '80s OPC cards has certainly moved the needle the past decade, I wouldn't run out sinking your money into OPC thinking that it's going to explode at any moment. Collect what you like but don't overextend.

Arthur

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

one good thing, imo, when it comes to the influx of new collectors and investors is that old the old stigmas of card collecting seem to have flown out the window. especially after all the “base card revolution” thing starts to run its course. to correct their previous mistakes, they are, in a sense, overcorrecting. its merely about pop. they dont care if the card came from canada. they dont care if prizm baseball doesnt have logos. they now care about true rarity. so in my book, thats kinda a good thing for collecting as a whole. especially for those of us who thought opc has been criminally undervalued for years.

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

For the OPC believers, do you feel late 70s / 80s / early 90s OPC unopened baseball will follow suit? I’ve been a fan for years.

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options

@ReggieCleveland said:
    I believe the the difference in demand for OPC is generational. Many folks grew up in the '60s/'70s with just one brand of card in their corner store -- Topps. Why would you collect a cheap, poorly made ripoff of Topps that probably none of your friends would be interested in?

Then there's the generation that grew up only knowing an array of manufacturers. One year, company A would have a really nice design, the next year it would be Company B. There was no brand loyalty.

Rare does not equal valuable. People need to want it, as well. While interest in '80s OPC cards has certainly moved the needle the past decade, I wouldn't run out sinking your money into OPC thinking that it's going to explode at any moment. Collect what you like but don't overextend.

Arthur

don't fight it, it's happening right before your eyes. lol!!

• Options

1984 ripken opc psa 10 just sold for $620.

• Options

i didnt buy it. but i did pick up a 1973 opc psa 6 schmidt for $275 counting tax and shipping. what a steal. pumped!!!

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

Nice pack. What year is it?

• Options

1973 Mike schmidt pop graded

Topps 8,000

OPC 400

That just blew my mind when I looked this up. One of the most iconic rookie cards of all-time and less than 400 OPC graded cards by PSA. Unreal.

• Options

@olb31 said:

Topps 8,000

OPC 400

That just blew my mind when I looked this up. One of the most iconic rookie cards of all-time and less than 400 OPC graded cards by PSA. Unreal.

I am with you on that. so much more scarce. check out the pops on the 1975 Brett

Topps 10,822 graded. 308 PSA 9's
    OPC 231 graded. 23 PSA 9's

1975 yount:
    Topps 8763 graded, 259 PSA 9's
    OPC 146 graded. 3 PSA 9's

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2021 9:23AM

Can’t find a ‘75 OPC Brett with decent back centering. I have only scene one ever - wish I would have bought it.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@olb31 said:

Topps 8,000

OPC 400

I am with you on that. so much more scarce. check out the pops on the 1975 Brett

Topps 10,822 graded. 308 PSA 9's
    OPC 231 graded. 23 PSA 9's

1975 yount:
    Topps 8763 graded, 259 PSA 9's
    OPC 146 graded. 3 PSA 9's

Nice info Craig.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    Nice pack. What year is it?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Don't see those packs very often. (NEVER) Thanks for sharing.

• Options

Being from Canada, I have a lot of OPC. I'm currently waiting on a PSA bulk that includes:
    66 Mantle
    67 Mantle
    68 Clemente
    5 X 69 Clemente
    2 x 69 Aaron
    69 Rose
    71 Rose
    2 x 68 Seaver

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

There is a Murray PSA 10 currenting at $7,500 in Goldin Auctions.

• Options

There is a 1969 Johnny Bench PSA 10 on the PWCC auction. Pop report only 2 and the price is at 380$ when the Topps version has been sold 11,400$ in 2019.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cyberhawk_27 said:
    Being from Canada, I have a lot of OPC. I'm currently waiting on a PSA bulk that includes:
    66 Mantle
    67 Mantle
    68 Clemente
    5 X 69 Clemente
    2 x 69 Aaron
    69 Rose
    71 Rose
    2 x 68 Seaver

A bulk??

• Options

@daltex said:

@Cyberhawk_27 said:
    66 Mantle
    67 Mantle
    68 Clemente
    5 X 69 Clemente
    2 x 69 Aaron
    69 Rose
    71 Rose
    2 x 68 Seaver

A bulk??

Yes. If they are too high for their bulk pricing, I believe they'll send me a revised invoice that I will gladly pay. This is my vintage bulk but I'm more excited about my other bulk that is modern where I have 3 X Jerry Rice rookie, 4 X Roger Staubach rookie, 3 X Mario Lemieux OPC rookie, 1 X Walter Payton Rookie and other rookies and 80's Gretzky.

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's obviously not a rookie, but this card used to be considered "rare" back when it was graded.

• Options

Here's what's funny about the OPC vs Topps Baseball. Raw cards are generally listed for more by the sellers, if the card is an OPC, even the set prices carry a decent premium. Mostly because of their scarcity. But when you get to the graded part it's all over the place.

You can barely find HOF Rookie OPC PSA cards of anyone at at grade. If you do the sellers are asking a huge mark up from the TOpps. For Brett AND yount there is exactly one OPC psa 7, 8, or 9 listed for sale. There are over 100 topps of these listed for the Topps versions. Same for Winfield, Schmidt, ECK, Fidrych, Ozzie.

When you look at PSA 7 - 9 OPC HOF stars from the 70's. They are just as rare. BUt the Topps cards sell for more at least 50% of the time. But not sure why. a 1977 OPC ryan psa 9 sold for about $750, the topps version sales for about $900. But the pop difference is huge. the ryan has an 18 pop with 0 10's. the Topps pop for 9's is in the hundreds and there are around 10 psa 10's.

Being a numbers guy and a CPA, the differences just don't add up. seems to be no rhyme or reason. Think of this way would you rather have a trout rookie that is not serialed or or one that is serialed to 25. Same card.

• Options

It's about the demand. If the demand was there, those cards you mentioned would already be gone on ebay. Barely any collectors and appreciation for OPC. I have been collecting OPC for a long time. I haven't seen prices move this much over the last 2 years on graded, ever. Unopened OPC prices have soared.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure why you find this so confusing. Being a numbers guy should help.

If 200 people are looking for a card that has 10 copies, that card will likely sell better then one where 5 people are chasing 3 copies.

Some of these OPC cards are rare but not scarce. Demand matters.

And I’m an OPC guy fwiw

• Options
    PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 302 ✭✭✭✭

@Hallco said:
    It's obviously not a rookie, but this card used to be considered "rare" back when it was graded.

That is still a rare card in my eyes. Been trying to get a hold of one for years.

• Options

Jay and 80's no doubt it's demand, but why would you want to pay the same amount for an unnumbered 2009 trout auto as the one serialed to /25. That's about the difference in most of the Topps and OPC supply. Personally I would buy the one numbered to /25.

1977 Nolan Ryan

OPC - total graded 259, psa 10 - 0, psa 9 - 18, psa 8 - 76

Topps - total graded 3683, psa 10 - 19, psa 9 - 274, psa 8 - 1,173

This comparison looks like a slam dunk to me. The numbers are telling me that the OPC should sell for around 10 times what the Topps sells for based on supply. At a minimum the OPC should at least sell for $100 more than the topps, but it doesn't. The reason the 1987 opc Bonds sells for as much or more than the 1986 Topps Tiffany, which is remarkable, is simple, supply.

I can post examples of the above all day long. The card in most cases is the exact same card. Made by the exact same company. It's just a 2005 Aaron Rodgers Topps Pristine versus Regular Topps. Supply and serialed numbered ones will be the best, without a doubt for Aaron.

• Options

You post has a lot of references to supply which indicates you still don’t get. You mention being a CPA, I would think basic economics was at least part of your training?

Here is something to get you started:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_and_demand

• Options

80's, i get ya. What i don't get, is the person that would pay $20,000 for a bowman non serialed numbered Mike Trout and pay the same thing for the one that's numbered to /25. I would think most if not all people would not do this. But based on my 1977 Nolan ryan comparison it appears that a lot people do.

I know you agree with me on Trout. The one numbered to /25 will cost thousands if not hundreds of thousands more. and it should. And it does because of it's rarity. The card looks exactly the same or very close to the regular one. It's made by the same company. but there is only 25 of them. if supply doesn't or barely matters then they would cost the same thing.

The dealers get it because they charge more for opc unopened boxes, sets, raw cards, but the slabbed cards seem to be lagging a little in some cases.

Try looking at it backwards. why would the consumer demand the non serialed trout over the serialed trout if costs are the same? Once you start thinking in those terms, it's really hard to rationalize why anyone would rather pay more or the same for nonserialed numbered trout. Maybe the average consumer is just ignorant to the facts? Possibly. Maybe the serial number lays it out for the consumer easier than the pop report. Most on this board probably are not novice and know the differences without the serial number.

I think the OPC train is gaining steam, though.

Nice conversation.

• Options

That is actually not true, that a lower serial numbered card will sell for a greater amount. Hockey Cup rookies will typically sell for more in the /99 then the jersey numbered parallels.

Also, the Topps version of a card is not the exact same as the OPC. Printed in a different country, different content (French), they can have different numbers, different cuts, different stock. They do have the same image but it is a mistake to think they are EXACTLY the same card. Some of those differences like origin / distribution impact demand. And demand rules all.

Last response from me on this because you don't seem to be generally interested in the reasoning behind Topps outselling OPC. You seem to be so dug into your position, which seems to be driven by your belief OPC is about to take off and outsell Topps. Feels like your investment in these cards is clouding your judgement.

And I have stacks of Pucket, Gooden, Thomas, Chipper OPC rooks. So I'm fully vested, but it's pretty clear why there is more demand for Topps in the USA. Same reason I have literally no interest in a Topps 79 Gretzky, that card doesn't appeal to me at all but I'm obsessed with the OPC version and all it's rough cut, blue line glory, french backed glory.

• Options

@olb31 said:
    80's, i get ya. What i don't get, is the person that would pay $20,000 for a bowman non serialed numbered Mike Trout and pay the same thing for the one that's numbered to /25. I would think most if not all people would not do this. But based on my 1977 Nolan ryan comparison it appears that a lot people do.

I know you agree with me on Trout. The one numbered to /25 will cost thousands if not hundreds of thousands more. and it should. And it does because of it's rarity. The card looks exactly the same or very close to the regular one. It's made by the same company. but there is only 25 of them. if supply doesn't or barely matters then they would cost the same thing.

The dealers get it because they charge more for opc unopened boxes, sets, raw cards, but the slabbed cards seem to be lagging a little in some cases.

Try looking at it backwards. why would the consumer demand the non serialed trout over the serialed trout if costs are the same? Once you start thinking in those terms, it's really hard to rationalize why anyone would rather pay more or the same for nonserialed numbered trout. Maybe the average consumer is just ignorant to the facts? Possibly. Maybe the serial number lays it out for the consumer easier than the pop report. Most on this board probably are not novice and know the differences without the serial number.

Nice conversation.

I am with you on this. if it were not about rarity, why is the 87 opc bonds in a 10 worth so much more than the topps?

also, why are tiffany worth so much more. they were printed in a different country, do not look exactly the same are printed in much lower quantity?

• Options

It seems to be the case with 80's OPC vs Topps. You talked about Bonds but there's also Mattingly 84 that sells for about twice as musch as the Topps price. Same thing for the 83 Gwynn

• Options

@Cyberhawk_27 said:
    It seems to be the case with 80's OPC vs Topps. You talked about Bonds but there's also Mattingly 84 that sells for about twice as musch as the Topps price. Same thing for the 83 Gwynn

good points. I wonder if it is new collectors coming in looking for straight rarity without any hangups on the OPC brand?

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@olb31 said:

Nice conversation.

I am with you on this. if it were not about rarity, why is the 87 opc bonds in a 10 worth so much more than the topps?

also, why are tiffany worth so much more. they were printed in a different country, do not look exactly the same are printed in much lower quantity?

David,

You're missing the point. The point is that it is about supply and demand. That Topps and O-Pee-Chee are distinct enough to be considered separately, not as alternatives to each other. Tiffany is the same. No one thinks "Should I pay $10 for the regular while the Tiffany is only $5 more?" People do think, I'd like a Whitney Houston rookie card. Should I buy the /150 or pay the extra $100 for the /125. If you're a completist you don't necessarily need a rainbow, or a full rainbow, but you do need the Topps, Donruss, Fleer, Tiffany.

• Options

@daltex said:

@craig44 said:

@olb31 said:

Nice conversation.

David,

You're missing the point. The point is that it is about supply and demand. That Topps and O-Pee-Chee are distinct enough to be considered separately, not as alternatives to each other. Tiffany is the same. No one thinks "Should I pay $10 for the regular while the Tiffany is only $5 more?" People do think, I'd like a Whitney Houston rookie card. Should I buy the /150 or pay the extra $100 for the /125. If you're a completist you don't necessarily need a rainbow, or a full rainbow, but you do need the Topps, Donruss, Fleer, Tiffany.

I brought up Tiffany as a comparison to OPC. I think you are agreeing that Tiffany is distinct enough as to be considered separately to Topps. while they are not direct rainbows, they are awfully close to the original topps. normally same picture and design.

It was mentioned earlier that OPC were printed in a different country. So were Tiffany (Ireland) also that there are some cosmetic differences between Topps and OPC, different gloss, back color, condition issues (rough edges) Tiffany also has these type of differences with base topps: high gloss, yellowing of borders, print lines through the gloss, brighter back because of different paper stock. Both OPC and Tiffany were printed in far far less quantity than base Topps.

all of these similarities and Tiffany, in general outsells OPC in high grade.

there are a few outliers for OPC: 1987 bonds 10, 1983 Gwynn 10. I think the 68 ryan OPC would outsell same graded topps. sales for ryan opc rookies are fairly rare.

Just observations. I like both Tiffany and OPC and have lots of both.

• Options
    Cyberhawk_27Cyberhawk_27 Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited October 28, 2021 9:08AM

Yeah you're right about the differences. Here is a picture I just took of both Topps and OPC. I did not grade the Topps one because it's either 10 or bust and 10 is almost unreachable these times. I don't know if it's visible on the picture but the colors on the Topps are more washed out compared to OPC. The back is also clearer.

And even in OPC, the color is not the same from one card to the others. It's tough to see on the picture but the colors on the PSA 9 are more saturated than the others.

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

@Cyberhawk_27 That is a great collection of Bonds cards you have. Love that 9 in the photo next to the Topps.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone wonder why the 1991 O-Pee-Chee say Topps on the front? I have this Chipper and it is clearly an OPeeChee if you look at the back but why no O-Pee-Chee logo on front ?

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    Cyberhawk_27Cyberhawk_27 Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited October 28, 2021 10:19AM

@waxman2745 said:
    @Cyberhawk_27 That is a great collection of Bonds cards you have. Love that 9 in the photo next to the Topps.

@waxman2745 Thank you... However, I'm not a card collector. My father was. He died in 2008 and he left us more than 500 000 cards without any sort of inventory. Some cards were in binders like few OPC Gretzky RC Lemieux RC, Orr RC, etc. but almost all of them were in 800, 1600 and 2400 cards boxes (more than 600 boxes). I tried to sell the whole collection but potential buyers were only interested by the cards in binders figuring that everything in boxes were common cards. However, by chance, I stumbled upon a complete 800 cards box full of Gretzky's. I then decided to check the boxes for more interesting cards. I figured out that to get the best return, I had to grade them before selling them using the money to grade some more and on and on.

The Bonds are from last year 80's baseball monthly special where I sent 8 Bonds RC, 6 Gwynn RC 9 Mattingly RC (all OPC) and some others. I got 2 Bonds PSA 9 and I sold 1. I'm still wondering why it's not a 10 LOL. I'm thinking about sending it to Beckett for review.

• Options

I've heard this mantra about OPC cards gaining some long deserved love from collectors off and on from various members over the past 20 years and while there are certainly some outliers for key rookies and HOFers, the vast majority of OPC cards still pale in both value and demand vs their Topps counterparts, at least within the niche/era I collector which is 1970s baseball. The lower pop numbers are primarily due to lack of interest and demand not scarcity. I personally like OPC baseball and own quite a few graded cards and packs but the love and attention for the Canadian version of baseball cards just aren't present among collectors.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:
    I've heard this mantra about OPC cards gaining some long deserved love from collectors off and on from various members over the past 20 years and while there are certainly some outliers for key rookies and HOFers, the vast majority of OPC cards still pale in both value and demand vs their Topps counterparts, at least within the niche/era I collector which is 1970s baseball. The lower pop numbers are primarily due to lack of interest and demand not scarcity. I personally like OPC baseball and own quite a few graded cards and packs but the love and attention for the Canadian version of baseball cards just aren't present among collectors.

I agree with everything you stated except the scarcity. The norm, as I'm sure you know as a collector on OPC , is a miscut or OC card. I don't believe that because there is no demand that means they are not scarce. I collect 1978 OPC and must have 5 copies of each card in the set, and only 1 card is worth grading. They would either PSA 8 or 9.

• Options

OPC 1976 and back are very scarce and very difficult to find in grading condition. I buy every one that I can that i think is gradable.

• Options

@jayhawke said:

@grote15 said:

I agree with everything you stated except the scarcity. The norm, as I'm sure you know as a collector on OPC , is a miscut or OC card. I don't believe that because there is no demand that means they are not scarce. I collect 1978 OPC and must have 5 copies of each card in the set, and only 1 card is worth grading. They would either PSA 8 or 9.

I do agree that OPC are definitely very tough to find centered out of the pack even more reason they should be commanding higher prices in higher grade.

• Options

@olb31 said:
    OPC 1976 and back are very scarce and very difficult to find in grading condition. I buy every one that I can that i think is gradable.

I recently had a pair of beautifully centered PSA 8 1976 OPC commons I pulled straight from the pack and couldn't even get $10 for either one. The demand just isn't there.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@olb31 said:

I recently had a pair of beautifully centered PSA 8 1976 OPC commons I pulled straight from the pack and couldn't even get $10 for either one. The demand just isn't there.

Commons are for the registry guys. I collect a psa opc set, but it's frustrating. The supply is just so low, that rarely can I find raw or graded items I need. And the miscuts/centering is pathetic. 1976 is so rare to find, that I doubt anyone is collecting the set or very few. But the star cards are collected.

Last night a PSA 5 Brett opc 1975 sold for $410. Topps psa 5 sales for $175. 1975 OPC ryan sold for $1,000 the topps goes for about $400 - $450.

• Options

Someone will pull the trigger on the yount that is on Ebay for $1,000 for a psa 8, soon.

• Options

@olb31 said:

@grote15 said:

@olb31 said:

Commons are for the registry guys. I collect a psa opc set, but it's frustrating. The supply is just so low, that rarely can I find raw or graded items I need. And the miscuts/centering is pathetic. 1976 is so rare to find, that I doubt anyone is collecting the set or very few. But the star cards are collected.

Last night a PSA 5 Brett opc 1975 sold for $410. Topps psa 5 sales for $175. 1975 OPC ryan sold for $1,000 the topps goes for about $400 - $450.

I would agree that in many cases the key stars from that era command strong prices but the demand for OPC cards in general from that era is rather limited.