Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Error 2020 W Quarter Back From Grading!

KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 19, 2021 6:02PM in U.S. Coin Forum

A friend got this W quarter with a rather large strike thru on the obverse and I wound up purchasing it from him. I decided that I wanted to get it graded and a big thanks and shoutout to @MWallace which graciously helped me out and let the coin tag onto one of his submissions to NGC. The coin came back as a MS-65 which was what I was expecting plus with the cool looking V75 label.

The strike thru its self is pretty interesting. The area from below RIC and Washington's hair is deeper in than the rest of the surrounding strike thru area (if that makes sense). There is also a smaller, less noticeable strike thru to the left of Washington's ear. Plus, something going on with the reverse near the edges on the right side which is pretty hard to make out from my photos.

Really like the fact that is on a West Point minted quarter. I took a look online, and it appears to be one of the larger strike thru's known with the exception of a few comparable or a bit larger.

As you can tell, I still have to work on my coin photography, Testing out a slightly older Nikon camera my parents have. Really hate taking pictures through a plastic slab. The slab shots are by NGC BTW.

Really happy to get it back after a 2 month waiting game. Let me know what you guys think :)

Young Numismatist/collector
75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
instagram.com/klnumismatics

Comments

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey congratulations on getting it certified as an error coin! I have 3 strike thru W quarters that I will be sending to our host soon🤞

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice I like

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    Hey congratulations on getting it certified as an error coin! I have 3 strike thru W quarters that I will be sending to our host soon🤞

Good luck! Hopefully they come back as errors too.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice strike-thru.... congrats! :)

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice combo :)

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

B) error coin

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting strike through.... Here you have a slabbed, error, W quarter.... I am still trying to find my first one in change.... (I do have a couple I received from others - thank you)....They are sure rare (or non-existent) in this area. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    happycollectinghappycollecting Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭

Nice struck through error on a W quarter. :)

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I only could find a "W" coin in the wild.
    LOL
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one!

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2021 8:22AM

@ricko said:
    Interesting strike through.... Here you have a slabbed, error, W quarter.... I am still trying to find my first one in change.... (I do have a couple I received from others - thank you)....They are sure rare (or non-existent) in this area. Cheers, RickO

@WAYNEAS said:
    If I only could find a "W" coin in the wild.
    LOL
    Wayne

I’m part of this select group. Got first week of discovery slabbed but still nothing wild

Congratulations that’s a beauty and nice to hear about one member helping another. 🙏😉

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! I never look for errors, good job!

• Options

Thanks all.

Any idea what could be the item that it was struck thru?
    May be impossible to tell but anyone have a guess?

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat!

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:
    Thanks all.

Like you said, it's impossible to know, but my guess is a piece of scrap metal. Wouldn't you like to have whatever it was struck thru too?

• Options

@MWallace said:

@Kliao said:
    Thanks all.

Like you said, it's impossible to know, but my guess is a piece of scrap metal. Wouldn't you like to have whatever it was struck thru too?

Now that would be really neat. I'm pretty sure one was shown here not too long ago in a PCGS double holder with the coin in one and the thing it was struck thru in the other.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool! Congrats. :)

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

B) Congratulations B)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool error!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool indeed!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file