Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Official 2021 Coin and Chronicles Set - George Herbert Walker Bush

OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any interest? This is being released in about a week and touts a Reverse Proof President Coin and Silver Presidential Medal available only in this set Are there collectors that must have this RP? At $120 you also get a Barbara Bush Bronze Medal. With so much excitement over T-1's, T-2s, Morgans, and Peace Dollars this year, is this going to be sleeper set? Will it sell out in minutes??

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice set, but not something that interests me. I am sure that it will attract collectors though, and the included medal is a nice addition. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of the Chronicles sets I find interesting, and they make up a nice small registry set of coins and medals. Getting graded 70's of the past silver medals has been a challenge for me, for some reason. I will be ordering this one mostly for the silver medal.

A sell out is unlikely based on past sales and the price, and it should end up with a fairly low final mintage..

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Overpriced.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

From what I can determine from completed sales on ebay....The coin & chronicles sets, for the most parts, appear to have done quite well.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have all but one of the others si I guess I'll look at this one.

How can they guarantee the silver medal is only in this set? Aren't they issuing all the presidential medals in silver?

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

just another BS product put out by the Mint to fleece collectors.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2021 10:32AM

What I can't understand yet is that the promotional by the Mint says that the dollar is dated 2020, not 2021. I'm wracking my brain trying to think of another instance in which the Mint dated a recent issue with the previous year's date.

From the Mint's website:
    A George H. W. Presidential $1 Reverse Proof Coin minted at the San Francisco Mint is included in this set. The obverse features a likeness of President Bush with the inscriptions “GEORGE H.W. BUSH,” “IN GOD WE TRUST,” “41st PRESIDENT,”and “1989-1993.”

The reverse (tails) depicts a striking rendition of the Statue of Liberty. Reverse inscriptions are “UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,” and “$1.” The edge-incused inscriptions are “2020,” “S” mint mark, and “E PLURIBUS UNUM.”

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

way overpriced, all the other C and C sets were much cheaper. these won't sell out anytime soon after release

• Options
    CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

It’s interesting this set has a 2020 moniker (20PA). It has a decent chance at selling out with only 35,000 mintage and a HHL of 10. I’m not interested but I’m sure this will have a following.

"What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • Options

@CoinMeister said:
    It’s interesting this set has a 2020 moniker (20PA). It has a decent chance at selling out with only 35,000 mintage and a HHL of 10. I’m not interested but I’m sure this will have a following.

As long as the Mint's website doesn't behave like last Monday, my chips are in. :D

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    way overpriced, all the other C and C sets were much cheaper. these won't sell out anytime soon after release

Yeah, I think the Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy and Johnson sets were $57.95 and the Reagan set was $68.95, IIRC.

• Options
    rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

@ernie11 said:
    What I can't understand yet is that the promotional by the Mint says that the dollar is dated 2020, not 2021. I'm wracking my brain trying to think of another instance in which the Mint dated a recent issue with the previous year's date.

From the Mint's website:
    A George H. W. Presidential $1 Reverse Proof Coin minted at the San Francisco Mint is included in this set. The obverse features a likeness of President Bush with the inscriptions “GEORGE H.W. BUSH,” “IN GOD WE TRUST,” “41st PRESIDENT,”and “1989-1993.”

The reverse (tails) depicts a striking rendition of the Statue of Liberty. Reverse inscriptions are “UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,” and “$1.” The edge-incused inscriptions are “2020,” “S” mint mark, and “E PLURIBUS UNUM.”

The set was originally going to be released last year and was postponed until now. Probably covid related reasons.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2021 7:39AM

On sale today - who is in?

• Options

@Connecticoin said:
    On sale today - who is in?

Me, but I'm grudgingly "in". This set will sell out, but it may not sell out that fast. The price is far higher than any previous C & C set.

• Options

the seasoned collectors will not buy this set, it will be selling on e bay for 60 dollars months from now

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in for one...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options

Chronicles sets approximate mintages: If you have better info please revise as I had a hard time finding these.

Teddy Roosevelt 15,000 ? I did not find actual
    Franklin Roosevelt 19,193
    Harry S. Truman 16,812
    Dwight D. Eisenhower 16,744
    John F. Kennedy 49,051
    Lyndon B. Johnson 23,905
    Ronald Reagan 47,449

Bush 35,000 seems about right, so maybe it will sell out eventually, but not right away.

• Options
    edited September 17, 2021 9:09AM

In and out fast. USM11764xxx

• Options

I got one, but just noticed somewhere along the line the mint changed the HHL from 1 to 10. That changes the mix.

• Options

@Onastone said:
    I got one, but just noticed somewhere along the line the mint changed the HHL from 1 to 10. That changes the mix.

I saw 10 the other day, didn't know it was supposed to be 1.

• Options

In and out for one set
    USM117665XX
    Order acknowledgment received almost
    Immediately after order was placed...

• Options

Got 2, way overpriced.

• Options

@ernie11 said:

@Onastone said:

When I started this thread about a week ago, it was set as 1. (See the post at the beginning)

• Options

@Onastone said:

@ernie11 said:

@Onastone said:

When I started this thread about a week ago, it was set as 1. (See the post at the beginning)

Ah, I see now. Thanks.

• Options

For number's sake...Order Number: USM117666XX

• Options

11:40 CST still available...
    35K Reverse proof available only in this set.
    Didn't think it would last this long...
    How long will it last?

• Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭

The US Mint has done a wonderful job of filling the void for those that used to collect Franklin Mint 50 states medals/ingots, presidential medallions, first spouses, greatest inventions, birds of the world.........

The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    smuglrsmuglr Posts: 407 ✭✭✭

This set contains the only proof (albeit reverse proof) of the Bush dollar - not in any proof set. This is only the sixth reverse proof presidenial dollar coin and I think a must have for anyone collecting presidential dollars (or reverse proofs). The Barbara Buah medal also was very limited with just 10,000 prior to this set. The price is high but everything from the USM is now (look at the bronze medals program). I thought this would be a quick (15 min) sellout.

• Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

The Barbara Bush Medalion is compelling ;-o

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

The reverse proof $1 and Silver medals might be the draw.

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options
    smuglrsmuglr Posts: 407 ✭✭✭

medallion ;-o

• Options
    MJDMJD Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

Still available as of 1:00 pm central time. I agree it’s overpriced, but I have all the other C&C sets, so I may as well add this one.

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2021 11:06AM

Pass

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like these sets, but the mint has played so many games with the distribution of them, with "created rarities" made by intentionally low mintages, that you can't keep the set going without paying through the nose. Pass.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

JM mentioned the other day, that until people understand that a low mintage does not mean popularity. Here we are. There’s several mint products that don’t sell out. There are products from last year say sold out. They didn’t sell hundreds of thousands of the basketball coins. End of year. 20-60 thousand later they put up soldout.

Lately I’m so bad at guessing a sell out I’ll just say these will be available for awhile.

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

i don't collect medals, never have, never will and i am not alone. 35,000 sets means nothing if only 15,000 people are really interested in the set

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    i don't collect medals, never have, never will and i am not alone. 35,000 sets means nothing if only 15,000 people are really interested in the set

FYI, The reverse proof $1 is not a medal...

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have long admired Harry Truman, but you couldn't get his set without paying a big premium to the lucky few who got to buy it. I'm glad that I am a political items collector so that I could enjoy this instead.

And the Truman inaugural medal.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

well... i don't collect presidential coins either

• Options

Yes, this series of Chronicles sets are only for a select few collectors, and it is not all that popular with the masses. If you want to try to get 70's of these silver medals it is a very tough registry set. Since I collect modern silver I keep trying to improve on mine.

The reverse proof coins in top grades are also very tough. Everyone has different things they like. I bought one of these hoping it looks 70 level for the silver medal, if not, back it goes and I really hope someone grades a MS70 for me to purchase.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

28.6k+ left after 9 hours of sales. No way this will sell out. I think that the price is just way too high.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

Fizzled. Even with all the hype provided by the mint.
    Did anyone even notice this set comes with a stamp? Not much interest there.
    The description even highlights a booklet with colorful images. Seriously?
    Gotta mention how rare they made this with a coin and medal only available in this set .
    The only saving grace for this in my opinion has to be the RP Prez Buck. That would be it.
    I think it's unanimous here, the set is definitely overpriced, and in total agreement here: > @smuglr said:
    The price is high but everything from the USM is now .

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, like that Truman inauguration medal. A great American that was soft spoken with a huge set.....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never had an interest for medals.
    Glad that many of you do.
    Some are very sharp looking.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    ndeaglesndeagles Posts: 324 ✭✭✭✭

I don't want to spend $120, I don't care about the medals, I'd like the RP for my presidential set but I don't want it for $120.

• Options

I think I'm doing that web browser view source thing right to get the available count, I just did it and it said 27705. If correct, only a little over 7,000 of these sets have sold so far.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup. You are doing it correctly. That's the number I'm seeing too.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

@Kliao said:
    Yup. You are doing it correctly. That's the number I'm seeing too.

The high price on this set must really be dampening enthusiasm for it.

• Options
    heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭

I bit for a set. I have the other C&C sets.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

This set being expensive and not really consistent reminds me of the AI dollar coin. Done wrong from the beginning now they put the reverse proof in a 4 pack

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file