Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Monthly Copy of Coin World

CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

Received my monthly edition of Coin World in the mail today.

Even in this computer age, I still love having a paper periodical that I can carry around, and read whenever I want.

Anybody else feel the same way?

Comments

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to get the newspaper style one all the time. They stopped making it some years ago.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    I used to get the newspaper style one all the time. They stopped making it some years ago.

Yes! It was a big newspaper style. Then it was a small newspaper style. Now, it’s a magazine.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never saw the small newspaper style, I was out of the game for many years, I do have a recent copy of the magazine but need a magnifier to read it. LOL

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

My junior high library had the big newspaper Coin World (1978). I think it was a weekly then.

• Options
    Dug13Dug13 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭

“Even in this computer age, I still love having a paper periodical that I can carry around, and read whenever I want.“

I agree. Nothing like kickin’ back in the ole recliner with a couple of monthly's and a cold drink.

Wall of HONOR transaction list:WonderCoin, CoinFlip, Masscrew, Travintiques, lordmarcovan, Jinx86, Gerard, ElKevvo

• Options

Also a good read when your walking the dog.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes-I like the hard copy of these things, too.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

i got the big newspaper coin world though subscription starting in 7th grade, it was someting i could afford, it was like 50 cents per copy, before that i would just read them at the bookstore until they kicked me out

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2021 2:46AM

I remember when the newspaper-style Coin World had two thick sections in the mid to late 60s. Most of the second section was packed with classifieds. It gave you something to enjoy going through for days. Can't remember for sure if it was weekly or biweekly.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not get coin magazines in the mail.... I do buy one at the book store when a particular topic of interest is included. I get six firearm magazines in the mail, that produces enough mag piles around the house. Wife says I am a clutter bug. :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2021 3:47AM

@coinpalice said:
    i got the big newspaper coin world though subscription starting in 7th grade, it was someting i could afford, it was like 50 cents per copy, before that i would just read them at the bookstore until they kicked me out

"Either buy that magazine or get out, this aint no library!"
    "I was just looking to see if I had this one."
    "Move along kid"
    "But I'm buying this one...gotta 'nother quarter around here somewhere....wait, this is a silver quarter...what a dilemma... "

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I get the paper weekly and monthly Coin World and I prefer it that way. I read books on my kindle but I also still enjoy, and generally prefer, real books.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoy reading all my reference books and mags all the time. And I can highlight, mark up, tear out important articles before I recycle the fluff. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wasn't even aware that CW became a monthly.
    Yes, back in the 70's the paper was huge. There were pages and pages of classifieds. The 'Wanted to Buy' section was great. Whenever I was bored, I could always put together some sort of package just to keep things moving along. Those were good days......

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin World is still weekly.

• Options

@MarkKelley said:
    Coin World is still weekly.

But I believe the hard copy is only monthly.

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get a weekly copy delivered to my mailbox.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Coin World is monthly and Numismatic News is weekly 🤓

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

@coinpalice said:

Lol in 1979 the Coinage magazine at the base exchange was routinely dogeared by a 14-year old

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.
    I go the online route.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2021 6:25AM

I like em when I pay my dues to the throne every morning!

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Connecticoin said:

@coinpalice said:

Lol in 1979 the Coinage magazine at the base exchange was routinely dogeared by a 14-year old

@Connecticoin said:

@coinpalice said:

@Connecticoin said:

@coinpalice said:

unreal, i was 14 in 1979

• Options

Looks like Blay's 58DDO is on the cover

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

I subscribed to Coin World for 50 years but dropped it several years back.

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

love the online version. Read it all the time. Paul Gilkes has very informative articles on all the mint issues.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2021 2:22PM

Yes I have mo subscr to CW too. Has good section USPM prices. I also get the CPG PG / report and PCGS market report quarterly.

Many selling out too - For walk up buyers at shows I offer them around 70 pct CPG, quick and easy. One guy picked up some nice slabbed walkers for inventory. Another some classic Commems. A lady a few generic slabbed dollars she was so pleased get that she went back to her bank box get more and sold me those.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    JimWJimW Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭

Good to know - I miss the old days of the hardcopy large size showing up with all those classifieds, etc.
    I might just bite on getting the weekly copy again, although sounds like it is a different animal these days than 30 years ago!

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can actually get most of the coin news from the PCGS US Coin Forum. CW has the advantage of being a bit more structured about it, however. I subscribe to both CW and NN.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinosaurus said:
    You can actually get most of the coin news from the PCGS US Coin Forum. CW has the advantage of being a bit more structured about it, however. I subscribe to both CW and NN.

It’s also good in that they will cover some ancients, world, and currency news. Sure, some of that is here as well but it is well structured as you said. And less dross to go through. I enjoy both.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

As mentioned above there really is nothing more comforting than a copy of CW or NN during the morning constitutional. Somehow my iPhone is more impersonal 😂

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

I buy it once, maybe twice a year. I subscribed to it for over 20 years when it was in the bigger newspaper format. Loved it back in the day.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Call me “Old Fashioned”. I like all of my periodicals, newspapers, etc. “in hand”. I believe one misses or overlooks less material this way compared to speed reading on a screen.

When my grandkids talk to me about apps, I think they’re talking about appetizers! Silly me!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

I usually go to the internet - but prefer hard copy magazines when I can find one. I'm starting penny folders for 2 of my grandkids and paper illustrations really helps explain the coins easier.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file