Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A few days ago I found (in the wild) a copy the 1979 Red Book...

KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 30, 2021 6:52PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Long story short...My first Red Book at 9 years old was this one. I didn't keep it, moved a handful of times so who knows where it ended up. I genuinely remember reading it under the covers by flashlight after lights out. Always kept an eye out for one...

40 something years later and I just found one for $2 at a thrift store within walking distance... so much fun to see some things highlighted in the book like I used to do and then this receipt was super fun to come across in there as well! :-)
Just wanted to share my giddiness lol.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

50-D nickels are virtually never seen in G-VG because nearly the entire mintage was hoarded. Virtually all of them are high grade.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice book! I always look for old coin books at the flea market or garage sales. Picked this one up recently - I had to laugh (or cry) VF St Gaudens common date double eagles in 1975 being bought for $180, VF 1909-S VDB for $95, funny the highest grade the book goes up to is VF for all the types of coins.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep- my first one was a 1979 also- I still have it.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently bought the current Red Book when I first started collecting in 1961-the 1962 15th edition. These bring back a lot of nostalgia for sure!

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2021 9:47PM

That’s just good news. Not long ago I came across a couple awesome finds out there and scooped them up

$6 & $9 including shipping 🤓🙀

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool find! SBA's were just released. Amazing how quickly time flies.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first Red Book was the 13th edition. It’s beat-up, but I still have it. I passed it to my grandmother at one point, but I got it back when the family broke up her house after she had to go to a nursing home.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a neat receipt too.
    I think my first 'red' was a 14th edition. It would have been a few years old when I got it in the sixties.

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've bought literally hundreds of these things at yard sales, flea markets, etc. I call it "rescuing" them. I consider it a calling.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool.... At one time, I built a library of Redbooks... I still have them... not sure what the earliest date is... will have to check that out....Pretty sure I did not get them all... well, I definitely did not get them all.... just cannot remember which ones I am missing. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't overpay for old Redbooks. Most from the early 1960's on are common. The real feat in collecting them is finding the early editions in pristine condition. Most of those early books saw a lot of actual use and show it. Remember also that the early editions had maroon covers. I believe the first red covers were in the mid 1950's.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

You all should start a collection, fun and challenging

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    lclugzalclugza Posts: 568 ✭✭

My first was the '71 edition (I wore it out, but still have another copy I found later). I seem to remember Unc. Double eagles were listed at $50, and Unc. Capped Bust and Seated halves were $57.50. I think a Proof 1887 eagle was $875.

image"Darkside" gold
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    I recently bought the current Red Book when I first started collecting in 1961-the 1962 15th edition. These bring back a lot of nostalgia for sure!

My brother gave me one of the same year

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great find!

My first Red Book was the 1987 edition, a birthday gift from a friend who also collected coins. I don't have that book anymore but remember poring over it many times as a kid.

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    Nice book! I always look for old coin books at the flea market or garage sales. Picked this one up recently - I had to laugh (or cry) VF St Gaudens common date double eagles in 1975 being bought for $180, VF 1909-S VDB for $95, funny the highest grade the book goes up to is VF for all the types of coins.

Love to look at those book values back then but it is still All relative ... my monthly one bedroom apt rent in 75 was 200$ ... so that double eagle only cost one month of living... today I would guess that apt is $2000 per month

• Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

A bit of a side note...just before the pandemic at several shows i had collectors asking for and paying a premium for circulated 1950-D Jeffs! they would happily pay 10-12 dollars for a XF/AU coin!

• Options
    cnncoinscnncoins Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, brings back memories. I did business with Jules Karp back in the day. I also remember buying a mid 6 figure deal
    in the early 1990's that had 100 BU rolls of 1950-D 5c's. I think I paid $100 or so per roll. This same deal also had 20 1794
    halves from problem AG/G to nice VF. I remember paying 50K for the 20 coin coin lot...those were the days!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file