Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Official $20 Liberty Head Double Eagle Error Census

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 30, 2021 11:52PM in U.S. Coin Forum

This thread is (now) a census of all Double Eagle error coins!

Here's list. So far, these coins are all posted in this thread with photos. Of note, they are all provenanced to Mike @Byers! Thanks for the photos and information Mike!

Please add any information you might have on these coins or other Double Eagle errors!

1. 1875-CC $20 Liberty Double Eagle - Partial Collar - Ex. Mike @Byers
  2. 1904 $20 Liberty Double Eagle - Struck 15% Off Center - PCGS MS63 - Ex. Fred Weinberg, Mike @Byers
  3. 1904 $20 Liberty Double Eagle - Double Struck Rotated 180 Deg in Collar - NGC MS 62 - Ex. Mike @Byers
  4. 1904 $20 Liberty Double Eagle - Double Struck - ANACS MS60 PL - Ex. Mike @Byers
  5. 1905 $20 Liberty Double Eagle - Double Struck in Collar - PCGS MS63 - Ex. Mike @Byers
  6. 1906-D $20 Liberty Double Eagle - Broadstruck - NGC AU58 - Ex. Mike @Byers

Here's one to get us started!

1904 $20 Liberty Double Eagle - Struck 15% Off Center - PCGS MS63 - Ex. Fred Weinberg, Mike Byers

It's pretty amazing that this coin wasn't discovered until the early 1990s in Geneva, Switzerland.

Has anyone seen this coin in hand?

@Byers wrote:
this incredible Liberty double eagle is the farthest off-center error known for a United States gold coin. It is struck approximately 15% off center at [toward] 5 o'clock.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that is unique.... Thanks for posting that one. Probably in a collection for a long time, then finally hit the market. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@FredWeinberg said:
    That coin was found in Geneva,I believe, and I bought it out of a Heritage auction in 1993 or 1994.

(there is a five dollar liberty dated 1895 that is almost 40% off CenterBut this $20 Lib. is the farthest O/C $20 known)

I owned that coin till about 8 to 10 years ago, When I sold it to Mike

Great history Fred! I hope you'll keep posting here even after you retire :)

Still waiting to even see an off- center $20 Saint!

That would be something to see!

• Options
    edited August 29, 2021 4:20AM

@FredWeinberg's post above with more history got me to search out this coin online.

Here's some info on this coin from CoinWorld:

https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/rare-pattern-cent--off-center-double-eagle-in-heritage-sale.html

Paul Gilkes wrote:

Off-center gold

A PCGS Mint State 63 1904 Coronet gold double eagle struck 15 percent off-center is attributed by Heritage as the only known double eagle struck off-center.

According to authors Nicholas P. Brown, David J. Camire and Fred Weinberg in the 2010 Whitman reference 100 Greatest U.S. Error Coins, the off-center 1904 double eagle was discovered in Geneva, Switzerland, sometime in the early 1990s.

The coin first appeared at auction in 1993, where Weinberg purchased the error for between $11,000 and $12,000.

Mike Byers from Mike Byers Inc., Las Vegas, Nev., said he purchased the coin for $145,000 from Weinberg several years ago. Byers consigned the error to the sale.

The double eagle is struck 15 percent off-center toward the 5 o’clock position and is “the farthest off-center error known for a United States gold coin,” according to Byers.

On the obverse, the off-center strike affects the dentils on the rim as well as the outer points of stars 12 and 13 on the right side of the coin. The dentiled rim on the reverse is also affected, along with the top of the second S in STATES.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:

I'm wondering if the planchets looked the same for saints.
    I heard somewhere that they had huge problems with the 3-piece collars and had to change all sorts of things to make it work properly.
    The fin (wire edge) was something they really didn't want.

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2021 7:06AM

This off-center $20 Lib that I bought from Fred is a special mint error, since U.S. gold errors are rare.

I sold it to a customer at a profit, who kept it for a couple years in his coin collection.

Unfortunately he had business problems during the mortgage meltdown of 2008, couldn’t hold on to his collection, and had me consign some of his coins to Heritage Auctions.

He was trying to assemble the finest error coins on the market. He spent a few million dollars with me until the mortgage meltdown, forcing him to sell everything in the hopes of saving his business. Unfortunately that wasn’t enough to save it.

Part of his collection went to Heritage Auctions, part ended up with me, and part I sold to my customers. Fred knows who I am referring to.

The off-center $20 Lib ranks as one of the greatest mint errors of all time!

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

15% seems a bit generous on the measurement and not consistent with measurement. I am glad some like it though. Out of curiosity, how much did this sell for?

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

Pedigree, price history and sales dates of Off-Center $20 Liberty:

Goudouvy Collection 1990

Heritage Auctions 1993 Fred Weinberg 11-12k

Fred Weinberg Collection

Mike Byers purchase 145k 2007

Mike Byers Customer 160k 2007

Heritage Auctions $79,313 2014

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

“Heritage Auctions $79,313 2014”

Hopefully, back to Fred at half price from this Heritage sale so he could start again! 😆

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2021 8:37AM

Fred didn’t buy it. The new owner got a great deal and in the error coin market today, it’s clearly a six figure coin.

There are (2) known broadstruck $20 Libs, and (3) known double-struck, but this is still the only known off-center.

• Options

Here is one of the 2 Broadstruck $20 Libs that I bought and sold:

• Options
    edited August 29, 2021 8:45AM

@Byers said:
    Fred didn’t buy it. The new owner got a great deal and in the error coin market today, it’s clearly a six figure coin.

There are (2) known broadstruck $20 Libs, and (3) known double-struck, but this is still the only known off-center.

It's a gorgeous coin I wonder if it fell through the cracks at Heritage.

Agree it's clearly a six figure coin in today's market. More errors are breaking six figures and this is a strong coin.

• Options

Here is one of the 3 Double Struck $20 Libs that I bought and sold:

• Options

Here's another great Double Eagle!

• Options

Zions- the double struck $20 Liberty that you just posted, is currently owned by me.
    The other (2) double struck $20 Libs are slightly rotated between strikes. This one is rotated 180 degrees. Liberty’s portrait is visible from the first strike.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2021 12:55PM

@FredWeinberg said:
    That coin was found in Geneva,I believe, and I bought it out of a Heritage auction in 1993 or 1994.

(there is a five dollar liberty dated 1895 that is almost 40% off Center But this $20 Lib. is the farthest O/C $20 known)

I owned that coin till about 8 to 10 years ago, When I sold it to Mike

Was that in a Kingswood auction 20 years or so ago?

@Byers said:

Do I remember correctly that a triple-struck $20 was bought by Tony Terranova out of an Apostrophe auction in the 80's?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2021 3:16PM

Nothing to add but a slightly more common broadstruck/out of collar mini (mini) 20

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy Crap !

• Options

@Byers said:
    Zions- the double struck $20 Liberty that you just posted, is currently owned by me.
    The other (2) double struck $20 Libs are slightly rotated between strikes. This one is rotated 180 degrees. Liberty’s portrait is visible from the first strike.

This a great error Mike! It's nice to see the ghosting underneath! :+1:

'm not sure how how an in-collar rotated double occurs right now. I've seen some others recently. In a Grabener press, it seems the coin is popped out of the collar after striking and won't fit back in again, so I'm guessing these errors happen on a different kind of press. Always new things to learn!

• Options

In 1901, Philadelphia Mint facility opened with new, upgraded equipment. Electricity replaced steam to power all aspects of coin production. Throughout the 20th century, advances in machinery led to further increases in coin production numbers.

• Options

Zions- thanks! Seeing the Profile rotated 180 degrees is really cool.

• Options

Here is the third Double Struck $20 Lib that I handled:

• Options

Colonel- you are testing my memory from almost 40 years ago, but I remember a triple struck $20 Lib, with all 3 strikes slightly rotated. I think it was a S Mint too.
    Maybe Fred has info on it.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2021 8:31PM

@Zoins you started lots of great threads. Keep it coming. Thanks.

• Options

jt88- Yes.

Zions starts and then participates in his threads with research and documentation...

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw it plenty of times when I started collecting, drank and did drugs.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2021 9:11PM

@jt88 said:
    @Zoins you started lots of great threads. Keep it coming. Thanks.

Thanks @jt88! It's great to have threads on interesting coins with a lot of participation. I learn a lot out of all the replies so I really appreciate everyone's posts! :+1:

A big thanks to Mike @Byers , @FredWeinberg @ColonelJessup and others!

• Options

Since $20 Liberty gold major mint errors are in this thread, here is a unique CC rare date in mint state with a partial collar!

• Options
    edited August 29, 2021 9:38PM

Wow! I just noticed that the 180 degree rotated DS coin is an MintErrorNews cover coin when I want to read up on it!

Nice that it's CAC too :+1:

See more here. The article starts on page 5.

• Options

You've posted an incredible number of Double Eagle errors in this thread Mike @Byers !

So much so that I had to rename this thread to be more inclusive!

What's incredible is that these are all provenaced to Mike. Is there a Double Eagle error that he hasn't handled? :o

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2021 6:35PM

I've been posting all the error saints I can find here....

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12277068#Comment_12277068

I'll continue to update it when I find something good.

• Options

@ReadyFireAim said:
    I've been posting all the error saint I can find here....

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12277068#Comment_12277068

I'll continue to update it when I find something good.

Good to know! I’ve renamed this thread so there’s no overlap. Keep up the good work!

• Options
    edited August 31, 2021 9:09PM

@Byers said:

Great coin Mike! Here are the Heritage photos. Heritage says this coin was in The Henderson Collection of U.S. Gold Errors. Did you help build this collection?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file