Home Sports Talk
Options

On this day in History, August 23rd, 1936.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 23, 2021 12:07PM in Sports Talk

On this day in History, August 23rd, 1936, a 17 year old Rookie by the name of Bob Feller made his MLB debut as a starting pitcher. Prior to this game, Rapid Robert had worked out of the bullpen and been short of impressive. This would be different. He started by striking out the first St. Louis Browns' batter and had a pretty impressive stat line for his first start:
--- 9 innings pitched --- 6 hits --- 4 walks --- 1 earned run --- 15 strike-outs --- in a 4-1 victory.

For JoeBanzai the game was over in about 2 hours and 20 minutes!! B)

Remember, he was 17 years old!!! Three weeks later, he struck out 17 batters, tying a single-game strikeout record previously set by Dizzy Dean, in a win over the Philadelphia Athletics. He finished the season with a 5–3 record, having appeared in 14 games; he had 47 walks and 76 strikeouts in 62 innings.

When the season was over he returned to his home in Van Meter, Iowa so that he could finish his senior year in high school.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

good post keetster, love the old school info

look at that freaking windup

• Options

yeah, Bob Feller was one of a kind while also being one of a large group of athletes that sacrificed the prime of their careers to serve. I watched a special on him once and he collected old tractors/cats.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Given all he did on the mound, in the service, and the friend he was to fans for decades after retirement, I've gotta think that Bob Feller is highly underrated.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2021 1:30PM

he suffers the fate that many of the old timers suffer, and not just in MLB: for some reason he isn't widely known and when he is mentioned it's either because we're nostalgic or he "couldn't play in todays game" kind of logic. strangely, a lot of members/fans are aware that Al Kaline came to MLB straight out of high school and the same for Kobe Bryant/Lebron James to the NBA, but they aren't aware that Feller beat them all and played while still in high school. I don't know what the rules are, but I feel certain nobody will ever do that again, simply because of the level of talent required. Feller was exceptional.

people get all whipped into a frothy frenzy about MLB pitchers hitting 100mph. the only thing stopping Feller from having accomplished that feat is that they had no way of accurately measuring pitch speed. Geez, until the early 1920's most people were convinced that a curve ball couldn't be thrown!!

personally, I have no trouble calling Bob Feller the greatest right handed pitcher of all time. there's only so much that stats can measure. MLB was different in the era he played through.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

A true American hero.
    One of the nicest people and true gentleman

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2021 3:12PM

He’s in my name same thread and here’s his specific biography post…

"I would rather beat the Yankees regularly than pitch a no hit game."

Bob Feller
    When discussing the all time greatest pitchers in baseball, if you leave out Bullet Bob you simply don't know the history of the game. From a young age, Robert William Andrew Feller took the world by storm out of Van Meter, Iowa. While most people have heard the name, not everyone knows the story. If you're under the age of 50, the easiest way to explain it is this guy was Bryce Harper BEFORE Bryce Harper with arguably more hype to live up to (really) only without the benefit of social media and the internet. And perhaps Lebron James is a better comparison, since Feller achieved immediate, pronounced long term success and shares the city of Cleveland as the location for his dominance. In 1936, Feller was signed by Cy Slapnicka, a scout for the Indians - for one dollar and an autographed baseball (gotta love the 1950s!). While scouting Feller, Slapnicka said, "This was a kid pitcher I had to get. I knew he was something special. His fastball was fast and fuzzy; it didn't go in a straight line; it would wiggle and shoot around. I didn't know then that he was smart and had the heart of a lion, but I knew that I was looking at an arm the likes of which you see only once in a lifetime." The controversy surrounding his jump straight to the majors made him a national story and the Indians a team to watch. The "Heater from Van Meter" would make his debut later that summer and strikeout 15 in his first career start en route to one of the more prolific careers any pitcher has ever recorded - 8 All Star appearances, 7 strikeout crowns, 6 time AL win leader, 3 no-hitters, the 1940 pitching Triple Crown (W/K/ERA) and World Champion in 1948. The best part of his rookie summer? He then goes back to HIGH SCHOOL for HIS SENIOR YEAR in the fall. This baseball prodigy was only 17 when he began dominating major league hitters. His high school graduation was broadcast nationally and his famed Fastball Race against a Harley Davidson motorcycle clocked his fastball at 104. Bob Feller would work through his off-season pitching in barnstorming tours for the expansion of his own wealth and baseball's popularity as well as players rights and perhaps most importantly equal rights - many such exhibition games featured Negro League ball players like Jackie Robinson, Satchel Paige and other stars who would go on to play in the major leagues one day. He retired in 1956 - and he'd be the first to tell you that having lost significant time to the war cost him 100 wins and 1000 strikeouts, or more - having posted a remarkable 3.25 ERA, 266 wins, 2581 KS and 279 complete games over his 18 seasons with the Cleveland Indians. As the first player elected president of the MLBPA in 1956, he worked against the reserve clause and helped move players closer to free agency. Never shy about sharing his thoughts and a long time friend to collectors, Bob Feller was a baseball icon and as of 1962, a first ballot Hall of Famer, earning what is still today one of the highest percentages of all time.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I wad a kid I collected old timer baseball player autographs. It was easy. I found out what town the ex-player lived in then I would call the local information operator (remember that?) and ask for the phone number. That was easy...but then I would ask for the home address. The answer was always the same......"We aren't allowed to give out that information."........then I would tell the operator that I just wanted to write a letter to a former major leaguer. Then........the operator would say, "O.k." and give me the address. Worked every time. Things were different back then. Anyway......That's how I got Bob Feller's home address. I wrote him a letter and he responded (they all did) with the most wonderful, kind, and heartfelt letter back to me. And he added to write back to him any time. A true gentleman.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

For JoeBanzai the game was over in about 2 hours and 20 minutes!! B)

>
    NICE!

But just to clarify, I don't mind games that take 3 hours (or more) to play as long as they don't stand around.

Bob Feller is certainly one of the best pitchers of all time!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Jack131Jack131 Posts: 66 ✭✭

And a few days later on September 3, 1936, a rookie Bob Feller faced another rookie - Joe DiMaggio - who Feller got out on a flyball to left field. Also in the lineup that day for the Yankees were future HOFers Lou Gehrig, Tony Lazzeri and Lefty Gomez. The 1936 Yankees won the World Series with an "out of this world" +334 run differential (1065 runs for! and 731 runs against).

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bob Feller. What legends are made of.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2021 5:57AM

Timely thread... just yesterday I picked up a fairly attractive 55 Bowman Feller. Found a 53 Topps Feller about 2 weeks ago. And he did have an amazing career and was a real legend on and off the field.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.