Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Help me understand this face...error?!? 1994-P Kennedy half dollar

KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't even know how to describe what I'm seeing...similar to a letter or number drop, could this be a face/ear drop?! Maybe a strike through? The way the shelf like damage and indentations follow Kennedy's portrait's details is...well...
I'm fairly baffled. The reverse seems unharmed.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

Comments

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 17, 2021 8:59PM

I have no idea - Just hitching a ride to follow this thread for the answers. Definitely strange looking though.........

EDIT - darn, answered the wrong one of another double post - I hate when that happens! :D

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is different.... I think I will let @FredWeinberg give input on this one... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,129 ✭✭✭✭✭

Die bounce - caused by a loose die in the coin press or mistiming between the strike and ejection.
    Basically, it is a somewhat dramatic form of "strike doubling" (also known as "machine doubling").

• Options
    HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2021 7:45AM

Im in the strike through camp, a piece of wire or other object got into the coining chamber.
    There are several other areas where it looks to have had a item on the patched when coined.

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Machine doubling. ;)

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

machine doubling (die bounce), finger/palm prints and metal flow lines.

that is really the first machine doubling that looks pretty neat, the ear. almost thought it was a legit monster ddo for a sec.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very few MD coins bring a premium. This one just might.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

What I find interesting is the appearance of a "D" in the eye but the coin is a Phily strike.
    Is my mind just wanting to see a D?
    Please let us know what the outcome is.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2021 1:12PM

Yes, It sure looks like a D but probably nothing more than pareidolia somehow. Plus it's not incuse as a dropped letter would be.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

As mentioned by posts above, it's an extreme case
    of mechanical/ejection doubling, imo.

I've seen this effect on Kennedy's before - maybe a 2001, or
    like this one posted, in the 1990's.

An above average example of this type.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:
    As mentioned by posts above, it's an extreme case
    of mechanical/ejection doubling, imo.

I've seen this effect on Kennedy's before - maybe a 2001, or
    like this one posted, in the 1990's.

An above average example of this type.

Thank you sir! I was genuinely baffled, I've never seen anything like it. And kudos to those who got it right :smiley:
    ...Now...to find those hardcore extreme machine doubling collectors...! :blush:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file