Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do banks have a way of detecting rare coins that come through?

Do banks have a way of detecting and separating rare coins that come through? Or is there as much of a likelihood of finding a rare penny by asking a bank for a roll of pennies, as there is of finding it in any other roll?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,861 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Newbie2021 said:
    Do banks have a way of detecting and separating rare coins that come through? Or is there as much of a likelihood of finding a rare penny by asking a bank for a roll of pennies, as there is of finding it in any other roll?

No detecting! I'm am quite certain of that. ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

What's the best coin you've found, @joeykoins? And what's the most rolls you can ask for at a time, without being scowled at?

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the very least it depends on what rare is. If there’s a variety of a regular circulation issue it’s hard to imagine anyone but a sharp-eyed collector who works at the branch finding it. If it’s something well out of circulation it could be novel enough to get attention (even if it isn’t rare per se). But I doubt a bank would find an 1877 Indian cent if they wouldn’t otherwise find a 1906 just as readily.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote for the Joeycoins detector 3000. Guaranteed!😂

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Newbie2021 I had a hard time getting even 1 roll of quarters from my bank last week. It depends on what bank you go to. Joey seems to get full boxes of rolled coins.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    @Newbie2021 I had a hard time getting even 1 roll of quarters from my bank last week. It depends on what bank you go to. Joey seems to get full boxes of rolled coins.

I need a Joey mask.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well hopefully thats not how he is getting the coins

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    Well hopefully thats not how he is getting the coins

Lol. Now that's funny, dude! :D

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2021 12:06AM

To tell you the stone cold truth. I too go to some banks, with the tellers giving me the bad news as well. "No boxes or rolls".
    You must remember, I sometimes hit 7 to 10 banks .
    My real secret;
    1. My most friendly and most visited bank, they just about give me what I ask. Most of the time , 99%. I managed to build a GREAT relationship with them. And not just one or two tellers. More like 5 tellers, have received my charm that successfully works! Lol.
    2. Treats for their troubles. :)
    Here's another one of my secrets I'll gladly share with you guys. To be assured to not get any "uncirculated box of 50 rolls". Just ask for 40 rolls of the denomination. This way you can check every roll ender for any brand new coin rolls. Also, this will force them to open a box right in front of you!
    Of course, this is only if they even are allowed to give you the high amount of rolls. In case they throw the dreaded,"sorry, coin shortage" at ya.
    Good Luck guys. ;)

• Options

Thanks for sharing those, Joey!

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, they can view the side of an open or stacked roll and easily determine if the dimes, quarters or halves are pre-1965 and have silver content. From there they can search further for rarity.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

32 posts and 32 threads.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Newbie2021 said:

Your odds of finding a "rare" anything is infinitesimal.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If a Morgan silver dollar comes into the bank, I am sure it will be noticed. Not so much a Merc dime or Buffalo nickel. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know a few bankers who are avid coin collectors. What's rare is any banker paying an old man or lady fmv for the precious metal content.

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once upon a time, son and I did an experiment with rolls of dimes from the bank. Obtained $1000 face in dimes or 200 rolls. Son was able to do this because he was friends with someone who was a teller there at the bank. Out of 10,000 dimes in 200 rolls we found 4 silver dimes. They were all 1964-D's.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2021 5:48AM

@mr1874 said:
    Once upon a time, son and I did an experiment with rolls of dimes from the bank. Obtained $1000 face in dimes or 200 rolls. Son was able to do this because he was friends with someone who was a teller there at the bank. Out of 10,000 dimes in 200 rolls we found 4 silver dimes. They were all 1964-D's.

About 6 years ago two older , finely dressed women brought me several walking liberty halves. They insisted on me paying them every bit of their worth of silver. I tried to cut back 5% but they threatened to walk; so I obliged them.
    After taking all the pertinent info for purchasing, I asked these women who they were or what they did. One was a teller at the bank. The other was a manager. Some old lady got face value on her deposit slip and these unladylike individuals got an earful from me after I paid them FMV. I stand by what is a " rare" find, in my previous post,...speaking of silver and banks.
    They could have easily directed the woman to a more trusted resource ....like a coin shop.

I know that reads funny.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love your search results @joeykoins.
    You are the man with the eagle eye.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@ricko said:
    If a Morgan silver dollar comes into the bank, I am sure it will be noticed. Not so much a Merc dime or Buffalo nickel. Cheers, RickO

Yes, maybe 90% of the time but not always. I actually found one about 10 yrs. ago at one of my banks. Common 1921, but found. When I asked if they had any "big" dollar coins. ;)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not seen Morgans at a bank since I was a youngster.... I will ask the next time I am there.... I think they will laugh at me. That's ok, been thinking about a second career as a comedian... :D Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file