Home U.S. Coin Forum

Secret CIA Medals

DrDarrylDrDarryl Posts: 598 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 14, 2021 3:30AM in U.S. Coin Forum

https://dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/lot-archive/lot.php?lot_uid=386913

I collect U.S. Mint medals that were struck for the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). Identified as "Special Medals for U.S. Government Agencies" The original CIA medals were designed by Gilroy Roberts or by Frank Gasparro or a combination of both individuals.

The above link shows the extreme effort an original recipient took to hide his "jock strap medals" and certificates behind artwork.

The FG hallmark on Frank Gasparro's reverse design of a "menacing eagle" on the Distinguished Intelligence Medal in my collection. The FG hallmark is similarly placed as on the reverse of the Kennedy half-dollar.

How many "Special Medals for U.S. Government Agencies" has FG designed?

How many with the eagle design and with his FG hallmark is similarly placed as on the reverse of the Kennedy half-dollar?

Comments

• AercusAercus Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭

Wow I never knew about these. This is very cool, thanks for sharing!

Aercus Numismatics - Certified coins for sale

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was not aware of these medals. Very nice. Why were they called 'jock strap medals'?? Cheers, RickO

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

That medal auction blew past the estimate! Is that one that you own? Hiding it behind artwork was very symbolic.

• GuxiyouGuxiyou Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

Very Cool!

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

We know where you live. lol
    Nice medals and a unique way to hide them.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• MOS0231MOS0231 Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

Very Nice!

• DrDarrylDrDarryl Posts: 598 ✭✭✭✭✭

The term "Jock Strap medals" is used by CIA employees to refer to awards that can only be worn concealed on a jock strap. These medals are often awarded secretly (due to the classification level of the respective operation) and cannot be displayed, or on occasion, acknowledged publicly.

A old post that I shared years ago.
    https://coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=312849&

Not me, but in my medal collection. Key points of this set: Original certificate, original presentation box (with ribbon that signifies Career Intelligence Medal) and it's a pristine medal.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,871 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most interesting. Thanks for sharing this. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

edited July 17, 2022 4:38AM

See page 46 and 47 in the attached pdf file. This is the listing of all Medals of the CIA.

Gilroy Roberts and Frank Gasparro hallmarks are on several of the medals. Most of the higher-ranking medals were struck by the US Mint.

Roberts hallmark on the obverse

Gasparro Hallmark on the reverse

Most of the higher-ranking CIA medals are numbered. More images of the Distinguished Intelligence Medal (shown on the first entry on this thread).

Edge has a serial number.

Presentation box with ribbon.

Partial evidence (CIA Released document) that the US Mint and Bureau of Engraving and Printing were used to manufacture the medal/manufacture the certificate.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,883 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DrDarryl said:
    The term "Jock Strap medals" is used by CIA employees to refer to awards that can only be worn concealed on a jock strap.

That's sexist. Do the female agents get "G-String medals"? ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2022 7:12AM

Very nice medal and info @DrDarryl!

@DrDarryl said:
    The FG hallmark on Frank Gasparro's reverse design of a "menacing eagle" on the Distinguished Intelligence Medal in my collection. The FG hallmark is similarly placed as on the reverse of the Kennedy half-dollar.

What is "menacing" about this eagle? It doesn't look much different from the JFK half dollar to me. Is that eagle also menacing?

@DrDarryl said:
    How many with the eagle design and with his FG hallmark is similarly placed as on the reverse of the Kennedy half-dollar?

Gasaparro seemed to like the eagle motif. Here are some additional designs of his.

I view the left eagle more strikingly, overwhelmingly tough, aggressive, and powerful. The right eagle looks a bit scrawny.

What are the odds that the half-dollar eagle would win in a fight with the CIA medal eagle?

Snapshot of my research from my exhibit at the 2018 ANA World's Fair of Money. sGms = US Mint special Government medals.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Much more secret (TS//SCI). Why?......Zero documentation. B)

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file