Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Post you 2021 ANA reports and stories here ….

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope your attending 😊

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.




«13

Comments

  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2021 7:30PM

    I will start .....I am preparing for 5 days at the ANA......leaving Monday morning...I am organizing my coins that I am taking with me that are raw and cool and slabbed coins in NGC to PCGS and even a few ANACS holders....that are also cool coins.

    Having fun culling what I want to keep and willing to sell.

    Different dollar values levels .

    Its my vacation away from my vocation ;) ..... and I'm going to have fun.

    Looking forward to viewing the Tyrant collection and seeing auction lots.

    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.




  • BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

    I'm not going. Hope someone photographs the display pieces.

    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭✭

    The Tryant collection is worth going just to see it. The rest is gravy.

  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It’s 11:45 pm at night and we are are flying Southwest…. FINALLY to Chicago .!

    Today was supposed to be an easy flight to Chicago OHare.

    Instead, we were in Denver airport 12 hours where flight after flight was canceled or rescheduled or rerouted away from Chicago due to storms including tornadoes.

    We were extremely blessed to be able to squeeze on a standby flight that left for Midway Airport at 9:55 pm.

    Will promptly take an Uber to our hotel near the Stephens convention center.

    Will be at the show when it opens

    I feel like this guy 🤪

    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.




  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

    3am update… my alarm is set for 5:15am ahead of the 3hr drive to Rosemont. Baby is crying at 3am so getting an early start. I’ll arrive first thing to the show, get an early bird pass, hit lot viewing up til 10, the show for as long as I can feel safe, and then back on the road.

  • ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭✭

    @bidask said:
    It’s 11:45 pm at night and we are are flying Southwest…. FINALLY to Chicago .!

    Today was supposed to be an easy flight to Chicago OHare.

    Instead, we were in Denver airport 12 hours where flight after flight was canceled or rescheduled or rerouted away from Chicago due to storms including tornadoes.

    We were extremely blessed to be able to squeeze on a standby flight that left for Midway Airport at 9:55 pm.

    Will promptly take an Uber to our hotel near the Stephens convention center.

    Will be at the show when it opens

    I feel like this guy 🤪

    Midway is easier to navigate. Denver and Atlanta have always been bad connections for me.

  • Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Boosibri said:
    3am update… my alarm is set for 5:15am ahead of the 3hr drive to Rosemont. Baby is crying at 3am so getting an early start.

    Oh man Brian I feel your pain. Way to make lemonade out of lemons!

    My current "Box of 20"

  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

    3:55 AM here in Rosemont and finally done for the day. Wake up call at 7. Good night!

    Andy Lustig

    Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

    Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MrEureka said:
    3:55 AM here in Rosemont and finally done for the day. Wake up call at 7. Good night!

    OK, you wrote the last line of the report. How about the actual report? 😉

  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Thank you guys for the show reports.
    I hope to get to a major show before I croak but until then I really enjoy reading all of yours.

  • 1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I collect world coins, year 1984. In the last 3 years, the prices went up 100% if not more. Nice report, thank you.

    Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Things really slowed down for me Friday and especially Saturday......I did buy a bunch of cap and ray 8 reales from none other than Mike Dunnigan with the help from @ncsuwolf74 .

    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.




  • EddiEddi Posts: 439 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Thank you, all, for posting your ANA Show experiences. For those of us, like me, starved of coins shows for that last 20 months this is of great interest.

    Let me ask - did any of you pick-up or saw any interesting Santiago Colonial or Chilean Republican coins?
    If you did, I would LOVE to see them :)

    It does not look like we will be having any coin shows in Germany at least for a while yet - I have not heard any news from the Frankfurt Numismata....but I am still hoping. You guys are lucky!

  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Eddi said:
    Thank you, all, for posting your ANA Show experiences. For those of us, like me, starved of coins shows for that last 20 months this is of great interest.

    Let me ask - did any of you pick-up or saw any interesting Santiago Colonial or Chilean Republican coins?
    If you did, I would LOVE to see them :)

    It does not look like we will be having any coin shows in Germany at least for a while yet - I have not heard any news from the Frankfurt Numismata....but I am still hoping. You guys are lucky!

    I did not see any Santiago’s colonial or Chilean republic coins on the bourse floor

    However there are some nice pieces coming up for auction this week both at Heritage and Stack’s !

    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.




  • jdmernjdmern Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

    Bit of a belated report, but sales were pretty strong at ANA- Latin American remained strong, as were the Philippines and world gold. Even some nice British Commonweath did better than I expected it to. Was really steady all week with the exception of Saturday.

    @Boosibri The Guatemalan 2R found a new home before the end of the show, it was a fantastic piece!

    Justin Meunier

    Boardwalk Numismatics

  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jdmern said:
    Bit of a belated report, but sales were pretty strong at ANA- Latin American remained strong, as were the Philippines and world gold. Even some nice British Commonweath did better than I expected it to. Was really steady all week with the exception of Saturday.

    @Boosibri The Guatemalan 2R found a new home before the end of the show, it was a fantastic piece!

    Glad it worked for you! The other 65 Charles IV I actually saw on the floor for considerably more and was no where near as nice.

  • AchoriAchori Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

    It a was great show, I met with some friends since last summer FUN show, others since 2020 winter FUN show, and met with others for the first time. I did buy some Latin America pieces, specially Mexico and Bolivia gold and silver. Moreover, I was also glad to find a 1825 Peru 2 Reales in nice condition.
    @Eddi I did get a Colonial Santiago 2 Reales 1807, which has a mintage of 47,000 for that year.

  • EddiEddi Posts: 439 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Thank you, @bidask, @Achori and @Boosibri for letting me know about Santiago coins at the show. Much appreciated.

    I keep hoping The Frankfurt Numismata will be on this year.....

  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I may not be very well acquainted with ancients. But how the heck is that only a VG?

    @BustDMs said:
    Found a coin I’ve wanted for a long time. Wanted a better one from a couple hundred years earlier but for another day…….



  • WCCWCC Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Achori said:
    It a was great show, I met with some friends since last summer FUN show, others since 2020 winter FUN show, and met with others for the first time. I did buy some Latin America pieces, specially Mexico and Bolivia gold and silver. Moreover, I was also glad to find a 1825 Peru 2 Reales in nice condition.
    @Eddi I did get a Colonial Santiago 2 Reales 1807, which has a mintage of 47,000 for that year.

    Mind sharing what you saw from Bolivia? I don't buy it regularly but also collect better Republic decimals, 1864-1909.

  • AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

    My ANA story: the auction prices are super crazy! Not just outbid of everything, but some of the prices are obscene. Not sure that anyone buying with these prices will ever recover the investment...

  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Abuelo said:
    My ANA story: the auction prices are super crazy! Not just outbid of everything, but some of the prices are obscene. Not sure that anyone buying with these prices will ever recover the investment...

    I hear that all the time on scarce choice specimens

    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.




  • AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Even not so scarce or choice. But if anyone thinks it is sane to pay 60K for a Hookneck, let me know. My wife is a psychiatrist 😂

  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Abuelo said:
    My ANA story: the auction prices are super crazy! Not just outbid of everything, but some of the prices are obscene. Not sure that anyone buying with these prices will ever recover the investment...

    @Abuelo here's the answer: Keep your finger on the BID button. :D

    Do you collect only for resale?

  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Abuelo said:
    Even not so scarce or choice. But if anyone thinks it is sane to pay 60K for a Hookneck, let me know. My wife is a psychiatrist 😂

    It’s the best of the best!

  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @pruebas said:

    @Abuelo said:
    Even not so scarce or choice. But if anyone thinks it is sane to pay 60K for a Hookneck, let me know. My wife is a psychiatrist 😂

    It’s the best of the best!

    Iconic as well 👀

    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.




  • Make that 96k

  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @TwoKopeiki said:
    Never thought i'd see a 100k Hookneck.

    My modest pick-up from today's sale:


    Felicidades @TwoKopeiki on the pickup!

    Even more strange is a $100k small letters Maximilian Peso! :o

  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Jpaquequo said:
    Make that 96k

    I was the underbidder 😏

    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.




  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @bidask said:

    @Jpaquequo said:
    Make that 96k

    I was the underbidder 😏

    Mrs Bidask likes that comment

  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Boosibri said:

    @bidask said:

    @Jpaquequo said:
    Make that 96k

    I was the underbidder 😏

    Mrs Bidask likes that comment

    Well yes I guess 🤗

    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.




  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I tried like hell to win a coin I'd been tracking. I guess my thinking was way off.
    I was the underbidder.

  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Worthy additions @Boosibri and what I thought was a bit of a break on the 1837. I'm not going to spoil the reveal, but will add that was pretty good investigating.

    @JohnnyCache - that's a wonderful piece. Sorry you missed out on it. There was a decently priced Guatemalan portrait with a Huntington pedigree that was not noted in the description other than to mention M&E Auction 61

  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @pruebas said:

    Felicidades @TwoKopeiki on the pickup!

    Even more strange is a $100k small letters Maximilian Peso! :o

    :open_mouth: I missed that one!

  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Boosibri said:
    I won the following:


    Any guesses on the provenance of this coin before Millennia?


    Congrats on both coins
    The 1837 was a sleeper

    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.




  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @pruebas said:

    @TwoKopeiki said:
    Never thought i'd see a 100k Hookneck.

    My modest pick-up from today's sale:


    Excellent coin very tough in high grade

    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.




  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @bidask said:

    @Jpaquequo said:
    Make that 96k

    I was the underbidder 😏

    Always the bridesmaid, never the bride…. :'(

  • WCCWCC Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

    There was one coin I wanted, but not badly enough. I have it in a higher circulated grade and while this one is noticeable better, not at 24X I paid for mine (somewhat less now).

    I can do without it.

  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @pruebas said:

    @bidask said:

    @Jpaquequo said:
    Make that 96k

    I was the underbidder 😏

    Always the bridesmaid, never the bride…. :'(

    I don’t think that coin will divorce the new owner anytime soon …

    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.




  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @bidask said:

    @pruebas said:

    @bidask said:

    @Jpaquequo said:
    Make that 96k

    I was the underbidder 😏

    Always the bridesmaid, never the bride…. :'(

    I don’t think that coin will divorce the new owner anytime soon …

    That means it will never make it into your collection.
    I thought you were striving for the finest set?

  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @JohnnyCache said:
    I tried like hell to win a coin I'd been tracking. I guess my thinking was way off.
    I was the underbidder.

    Did you see the scratches near the black spot where someone tried to remove the spot. Dodged a bullet.

Sign In or Register to comment.