Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How much will the Pogue 1804 dollar in PCGS PR68 sell for?

13»

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can’t fear stupid….

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    Yawn

The redolent puissance of your observation rivals that of the "divine afflatus" previously attributed to another's gas-passing remark.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options

Those who can, do. Those who can’t sit around on coin chat rooms and bloviate about how much knowledge they have and how everyone else’s posts show they have none.

How’s that working out for ya?

• Options
    edited August 17, 2021 3:56PM

.> @tradedollarnut said:

Those who can, do. Those who can’t sit around on coin chat rooms and bloviate about how much knowledge they have and how everyone else’s posts show they have none.

How’s that working out for ya?

One piece of unbloviated knowledge and experience.

You have steadfastly refused to acknowledge the provenance of a certain 1795 $10 PCGS 64+ CAC.
    The provenance most importantly includes that of the highly-revered Norman Stack. You implicitly deny that each and every time I mention his name by refusing that acknowledgement. Neither you nor your partner bothered to research this impressive and very easily identifiable coin when her auction company sold it.

I not only owned that coin, but also the now (undeservedly) higher-graded Eliasberg coin. Norman's name will be remembered long after both of us. Mr. Johnson, are forgotten.

I'm 77, half-blind, walk with a limp and can run rings around you with nothing left but my "B" game.

How's that working out for you?

I've even praised your posts when they've given useful information. I just enjoy, when given the opportunity, playing Whack-A-Mole with your ego. >:)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options

Lauri wants to know if you’re off your meds again

• Options

Your partner would happily attest to my being a pain in the ass. My friends can barely tolerate me :'( Either of them. :*
    What's your point?
    She would also attest to the many personal kindnesses I have extended to her since we first met in 1979. I've likely had more conversations with her about her personal health than about coins in the last ten years.

• Options
    LuxorLuxor Posts: 410 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    He had to have been talking about the KOS 67. The KOS set was at Mandalay Bay.

Ooops, my apologies and thanks for the correction TDN. Yes, it must have been the 1804 dollar in the KOS set I saw on display at Mandalay Bay years ago.

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 17, 2021 4:54PM

Its in:

6.4 plus juice

• Options

$6.4M plus the juice. Missed it by an increment

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:

@Connecticoin said:

@tradedollarnut said:
    I do wish someone would list the real grades of these darn things. I haven’t seen them all but based upon conversations and personal observations, this is my wag:

Pogue-watters:: 65-
    King of Siam: 64+
    Dexter 64-
    Eliasberg-Mickley 63+
    Reed:63
    Hansen: 61-
    Smithsonian: 58
    Cohan - ANA 30

What keeps yours below 64? Based on the Trueview I am thinking 64+, with only the chatter in right obv field holding it back from the assigned grade.

Well, I consider it a 64 so not sure if ‘below 64’ is accurate terminology. Reverse is a gem, obverse is a 64- so maybe these days it’s a solid 64.

Oops NM, thought yours was the Eliasberg coin, but it is Dexter. Agree that yours is less “overgraded” than the others.

• Options

Didn't it have an 8M bid at the last sale but the reserve was not met ?

• Options

There’s all types of numismatic knowledge- I missed the realized prices on the Brasher, the 1933 and the 1804 by under $1M….combined.

• Options
    edited August 17, 2021 5:22PM

@tradedollarnut said:
    There’s all types of numismatic knowledge- I missed the realized prices on the Brasher, the 1933 and the 1804 by under $1M….combined.

So you were the underbidder on them?
    If you weren't bidding, it's all (credit to that BeeGees) "Jive Talkin'".

You might consider that to be knowledge. Others might consider that to be really good short-term market sense combined with lack of any adequate long-term financing >:)

Your '94 is prettier. And pretty cool. That's about the only bone anyone has left to throw you. :s

• Options

Didn’t bid on any of them. Yah, call it a good sense of the market. Whatever - it’s knowledge. I’m the financial guy, not the numismatist.

• Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭

7.68 million, thoughts on the result? Of course a new record for an 1804 dollar.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 17, 2021 6:20PM

@GoBust said:
    7.68 million, thoughts on the result? Of course a new record for an 1804 dollar.

I was hoping for higher, but it's the right price as was said. The higher priced US Mint coins are also "big" coins but with the added benefit of being either unique or unique to own. I do consider the SP66 1796 dollar to be unique.

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:
    Didn’t bid on any of them. Yah, call it a good sense of the market. Whatever - it’s knowledge. I’m the financial guy, not the numismatist.

I'm willing to argue your "financial" point, but I'm in profound agreement with your subsequent self-characterization. :#

• Options

And yet, here we are. I’m buying a gozzer ranch summer place Monday for 6% of my net worth and you’re smoking 6% of your net worth by Monday.The coincidence is eerie….

• Options
    edited August 17, 2021 6:36PM

@tradedollarnut said:
    And yet, here we are. I’m buying a gozzer ranch summer place Monday for 6% of my net worth and you’re smoking 6% of your net worth by Monday.The coincidence is eerie….

Oh, Mr. Big Swinging Johnson, how puffed up you are today. And yet it's so simple to huff and to puff and to blow your deteriorating facade down. Detumescence is a b!tch. Your numismatic tombstone will likely read "He knew the price of what was statistically virtually nothing, and the value of even less"

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:

Nice! Congrats.

• Options

@ColonelJessup said:

@tradedollarnut said:

Oh, Mr. Johnson, how puffed up you are today. And yet it's so simple to huff and to puff and to blow your deteriorating facade down. Detumescence is a b!tch. Your numismatic tombstone will likely read "He knew the price of what was statistically virtually nothing, and the value of even less"

I’ve had enough. Kindly desist commenting to me and I will do the same. If not, we’ll let Pcgs sort it out

• Options
    edited August 17, 2021 6:45PM

Is there anyone who's observed my interactions with a certain "unmentionable" person who's been operating under the misapprehension that I was ever addressing him directly without a larger audience in mind? >:)
    Jeez
    :'(

Henceforth and forever, @unmentionable.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well

We saw the Vegas place

A ranch is extra cool for me. Hunting involved?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    nagsnags Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭

@ColonelJessup said:

@tradedollarnut said:

I'm willing to argue your "financial" point, but I'm in profound agreement with your subsequent self-characterization. :#

On a purely selfish note, can you gentlemen have a scotch and chill out? I rather enjoy learning from both of your numismatics experiences and would prefer to not have you both banned over petty crap.

• Options
    edited August 17, 2021 6:54PM

Thanks for the "gentlemen". But even metaphorically, "detumescence" is not discussed in genteel company.
    Now, about your grading...... ;)

He doesn't smoke my brand. And it shows o:)

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had to look up 'detumescence'.

• Options

@cecropiamoth said:
    I had to look up 'detumescence'.

A scholar... :# My work here is done.....................

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get a room, you two.

Really disappointing result but I can't say I'm surprised. Holding it in hand, I just felt really... meh about it.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    edited August 17, 2021 9:01PM
  • Options

I love the history of the coin. If I hadn’t been outbid on the watters 1804$10 (which was subsequently flipped) then I would have been an active participant on this dollar to reunite the pair. They are ALL overgraded- it’s kinda a misnomer to expect their value to be lower because the grade doesn’t match the coin.

• Options
    edited August 17, 2021 9:16PM

@tradedollarnut said:
    I love the history of the coin. If I hadn’t been outbid on the watters 1804$10 (which was subsequently flipped) then I would have been an active participant on this dollar to reunite the pair.

It would have been great to reunite the two Sultan of Muscat coins.

I wonder if the SOM Eagle owner won this one as well.

They are ALL overgraded- it’s kinda a misnomer to expect their value to be lower because the grade doesn’t match the coin.

Agreed.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:
    Here's some cell phone shots I took of it at ANA. It's very original but dark unless under direct light.

TYVM and pretty nice images!

it is nice to be able to focus on the devices and technical aspects of coins and get away from toning/surfaces etc, especially on a monster proof like this but of course, can't have one w/o the other so the TV are nice to have in tandem.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file