Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone use Intercept STRIPS ??

Comments

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use Intercept boxes for some coins in my safety deposit boxes. A simple, related solution is to use recently made, red Lincolns as sacrificial coin surfaces.

If you frame coins or put them in a wood cabinet, then do something to minimize outgassing from materials like wood, paper products, etc. I'm not sure that simply putting an Intercept strip would be a good, long-term solution. The materials used in Intercept products will eventually become passivated (they cannot continue to function forever) and then they need to be replaced.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭✭

The literature says the strips should be replaced every 12 months.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not used the strips... I have a couple of the boxes. Mainly I just use desiccant for moisture control. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.
    I air out my safes once a month and have had no issues.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes.

Over the years, I have used it in various forms (strips, tray covers, velcro bags, ziplock bags, and boxes)
    for different applications (silver flatware, jewelry, coins, firearms, etc.).
    Almost always used it in conjunction with some form of humidity control (e.g., dehumidifier or desiccant).
    Happily, have not detected any 'tarnish/corrosion' issues during use.

Admittedly, I have not conducted an A vs. B experiment (i.e., with vs. without). As such, I cannot definitively state that my experience is wholly attributable to Intercept. Regardless, I consider it to be a prudent precaution, just like attempting to control the humidity.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file