Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Prettiest beastie I've seen in an auction for a while ...

WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 31, 2021 11:34AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Grade: PCGS AU58
Auction Estimate: 1/4 million dollars
Auction Link: https://legendauctions.hibid.com/lot/97054924/50c-1796-15-stars--pcgs-au58-

I didnt recall these had a "1/2" marking below the eagle. Boy if this coin could talk, the history it's seen. How did it stay so well preserved for 225 years. Certainly very close to UNC. Great Strike and nicely centered -- and the toning is stellar.

Comments

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2021 11:54AM

That’s an amazing exemplar that would be a highlight of any type or Bust half set. I agree that the strike and color are superb. Congratulations to whoever ends up adding it to their set. I wouldn’t be surprised to see it sell for a fair amount above the auction house estimate.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW!!

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very, very nice!!

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't beat that one.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome! Looks like the Sun.
    🌞👍

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wicked cool, love the toning

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw the picture of it yesterday. A WOW coin for sure!

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

My oh my! Frabjuous!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, magnificent!

The little 1/2 below the eagle is hard to acquire. Expensive. Very expensive, in any grade. This one is just something to dream about.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin is SO pretty!!

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2021 5:17PM

Amazing coin - Where the "Big Boys" go to play their games......

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely magnificent coin.... Would like to know the history - how it is so well preserved over 225 years. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet that coin busts through the estimate like an out of control train going downhill!

• Options

Enjoy the Auction and the rest of this set at https://legendauctions.hibid.com/catalog/298340/the-regency-auction-47/

• Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chicago said:
    Enjoy the Auction and the rest of this set at https://legendauctions.hibid.com/catalog/298340/the-regency-auction-47/

Are you “The” Chicago who owns these coins in the Registry? If so, would you share with us which ones are your favorites and why you’ve decided to sell at this time?

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

Incredible coin!! I could stop looking for coins if that were in my collection. Improving the collection would be impossible.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn't get any better.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a beautiful run of halves in that collection, really remarkable.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 1, 2021 2:47PM

Laurie knows better than most how jaded I might sometimes be. In this case, I find myself short of breath. :*
    Good luck :D

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to see you post Howard, and if you care to indulge some of us, I am sure we would all love to hear stories and tales of the ones that you feel are the most interesting or special within the set!

It is, indeed, an absolutely gorgeous collection!!

Lance, Dave, Blake and I were all chatting about this sale on Friday, somewhat surprised. I made a joke I was going to give up finding any more Halves and just buy the 96 15 star, and maybe find a matching Quarter later. :D

I wish I could! ;)

Hope to meet you in Chicago.

Todd
    AN-06

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

Todd, thanks for the kind note. Having the collection together a few month ago was one of the few times I had the entire run of 120 coins at home at one time. It was fun thinking about the chase and catch of the collection. It was most fun thinking about the people who I met on the journey. That being said, Some of favorite coins are the 1794, 1796 1801, 1802, 1806 O108, 1807 (all of them) 1809xxx, 1815, 1817/4, all of the 1820's, the 1824 / Various Dates (Legend has pictures of the coin from 70 years ago and the coin has always had the amazing toning) and the 1839-0 (compare it to the MS 65+ CAC that is in the HA auction). When I looked at the collection I realized that some of the lowest graded coins are the hardest to find. Not just the major rarities but coins people don't realize are difficult in higher grades. If the coin is a 62,63,64 it is in the collection because I just loved the coin or I could not find one that was graded higher. So pay attention to those coins in the auction. The prices are reasonable and their is significant rarity in high grades (try finding a MS 09xxx...

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

When silver just seems to morph into gold...........................chicago will have to sell that one with tear in his eye. And thanks to chicago for sharing with us on this forum.

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 11, 2021 4:38PM

I'm currently the high bidder on a couple of coins from this set. Everybody else needs to simply forget about the auction now. ;)

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file