Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bay State coin show

gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I was going to go to the show tomorrow. Instead I went today. My first coin show in a long time. It was fairly busy. Not as busy as the last time I went back around 1990. It is a work day for many so maybe it will get busier. I picked up a couple of 1982 no P dimes. A 1938 D/S MS65 Buffalo with nice toning. An Indian head cent raw. Also a silver round walking half struck off center. It was a fun time, but had to.leave before traffic got too crazy for the ride home.
Will try to post some pics later.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

Comments

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report, look forward to pics. Have a great weekend!

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m thinking of going tomorrow. Supposed to be nice tomorrow and I promised my wife we would go for a hike this weekend. She said she’s cool if I wanna go to the show though. I wonder if she meant if “you” want to go, or if she was implying “we” can go.
    I might be a game time decision.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably slow I would assume because many people are still concerned about covid, not so much because it was a work day. Darwins natural selection is alive and well at Bay State.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    ButteredfatkidButteredfatkid Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

Went today, decent sized show. A good variety and I was able to pick up a few things for the collection. One thing I did notice there wasn’t a huge market for toned coins. Usually there’s one guy there with cases and cases of toned morgans but didn’t see him there this year

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a fancy venue. Nicer than some of the shows that I have been to that were held in gyms.

• Options
    NewEnglandNotesNewEnglandNotes Posts: 260 ✭✭✭

Got sidetracked this morning so I didn't get to the show until about 2:00. Show looked pretty busy to me, with lots of people walking around. Dealers I spoke with seemed very pleased with the business they were doing.

Visited Paula Habib, who has a huge selection of world coins. Got some earlier British and Canadian silver, but while she was totaling up my purchase, I noticed a coin on display that caught my eye. At first I thought it was a hobo type engraving, because who would get a haircut this bad and pose for a coin, other than maybe Moe Howard?

Turns out, that's how it's supposed to look.

Picked up a partially completed counterfeit from Kent Robertson that I thought was neat, having a couple other complete ones of this design

Also picked up this advertising note from Carl Bombara. Don't see these often and he had a few in his case.

Chatted with a few people I hadn't seen since Manchester, then it was off to Chick Fil A for something to eat while I sat in traffic with Howie Carr to keep me company for a long home.

• Options
    NewEnglandNotesNewEnglandNotes Posts: 260 ✭✭✭

@Downtown1974 said:
    I’m thinking of going tomorrow. Supposed to be nice tomorrow and I promised my wife we would go for a hike this weekend. She said she’s cool if I wanna go to the show though. I wonder if she meant if “you” want to go, or if she was implying “we” can go.
    I might be a game time decision.

All the rain we got over the last couple weeks put the mosquitoes in the mood to breed. Not sure a hike in the woods would be too enjoyable right now.

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was there from about 1:00 to 2:30. Nice to see some familiar faces. One of the dealers had a spectacularly toned Kennedy Half and a $20 Liberty Love Token with an image somehow printed on it. I picked up a few lesser items for my own collection.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the reports - and the pictures. Looks like a well attended event. Glad to see people getting out and living again. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks to all for the pics and reports.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2021 4:45PM

I still rely on my parents to drive me on the highway as I only recently got my license and I am a college student. Last second last night my parents bailed on me and said they don’t feel like taking me to a coin show. Probably also since I mentioned the show a week in advanced rather that a month. Still, I am sad I had to miss out on the fun. 😢😢😢

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

The_Dinosaur_Man, that looks like a Type 2 1981-S cent. Is it?

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

When I lived in western Massachusetts outside of Amherst, I would go to this show every year. I sure miss it.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:
    Probably slow I would assume because many people are still concerned about covid, not so much because it was a work day. Darwins natural selection is alive and well at Bay State.

And frenzied fear.

thefinn
  • Options
    HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@The_Dinosaur_Man said:
    I was there from about 1:00 to 2:30. Nice to see some familiar faces. One of the dealers had a spectacularly toned Kennedy Half and a $20 Liberty Love Token with an image somehow printed on it. I picked up a few lesser items for my own collection.

LM- 4 O-2. R- M R 2

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report. Seeing this thread just gets me more and more fired up for the up and coming show in my hometown. The ANA convention in Rosemont IL. Next week. Love these Shows. Thanks

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HalfDimeDude said:

LM- 4 O-2. R- M R 2

Thanks for that!

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file