Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GTG: Cali Diamond Jubilee Commemorative Half Dollar

DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 30, 2021 7:49AM in U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS graded, here's the TV's.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

GTG: Cali Diamond Jubilee Commemorative Half Dollar

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS65

Looks dipped and (slightly) retoned, but the luster is strong enough to preclude a details holder, I'd think. As noted, these are hard to grade, so could see a point either way from MS65.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS67

Regardless of how the coin actually looks in hand and what the assigned grade is, based on the images provided, it looks like a 67.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS67

Very frosty for the issue and normally dipped to death. MS67

thefinn
  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2021 10:03AM
    UNC Details

Agree that it looks 67 however, TV's can be deceiving...Cleaned - Details.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS66

Dipped 66, maybe 67.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2021 11:45AM
    AU58

I clicked on 58 but it's not showing up.

I can't grade from TruViews. Why would anyone bother to try?
    I'll take a roll of these at my grade. It's conceivable to me that the coin might be in a 62 holder. @MFeld surely missed the rub on the tip of the miner's nose. On second glance I also missed the rub on the ursine proboscis. I can fix those! Not sure whether micro-puttying, dipping the whole coin or artificially toning it is the right approach.
    If I'm wrong about the rub (or not) I'd happily pay MS67 CAC money (if so slabbed) and make back double my postage

@Smudge - Undipped. @MFeld is often my "canary in the coal mine" on this type of "cleaning".
    It was also subjected to neither sodium anhydride* nor NHOH** (sic?), both sometimes combined in their commercial distribution forms with various non-phosphate-based detergents.

• =MS70
      ** =sudsy ammonia
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    MS66

From the photos, strong 66, maybe a 67 on a good day.

• Options
    MS65

@ColonelJessup said:
    I clicked on 58 but it's not showing up.

I can't grade from TruViews. Why would anyone bother to try?

Possibly because it's more entertaining that discussing, say, why eBay can't figure out how to charge sales tax correctly... :p

BTW, your vote appears to have registered, after all. Posterity can exhale.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS67

67 I think.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS66

I will go with my initial impression of MS66.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MS66

It's graded MS65. I personally think it's a 66, but I'm just a guy with huge red floppy shoes and polka dot pants that drives a tiny car.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    UNC Details

@DelawareDoons no trick question?
    I change my answer to 65…Well it has the look of 67/68.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

My keen parole agent eye guesses it’s not MS68

• Options
    MS65

@DelawareDoons said:
    It's graded MS65. I personally think it's a 66, but I'm just a guy with huge red floppy shoes and polka dot pants that drives a tiny car.

Certainly wouldn't look out of place in a 66 holder. Sometimes I think that PCGS gives liner coins the benefit of the doubt when they have more of an original look. Or maybe I just like to imagine that's true... :)

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS66

Looks very clean and flashy. I'd be comfortable with it in a 66 holder based on the photos.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:

That’s the kind of 65 I would buy every day and twice on Sunday!

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS67

@MFeld said:
    Regardless of how the coin actually looks in hand and what the assigned grade is, based on the images provided, it looks like a 67.

Could not have penned this comment any better. I'll even go one step further, and wag it's got a bean.

• Options
    MS66

@marcmoish said:

@MFeld said:

Could not have penned this comment any better. I'll even go one step further, and wag it's got a bean.

We will find out in a couple months, it'll go in on my next group. Gonna put a note with it saying I think its dummy nice for a 65.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS67

Didn't realize the grade was disclosed already 🤦‍♂️😬, my comment stands, great example.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 1, 2021 7:08PM
    MS65

Looks like a nice 65, but don't think it's a 66 or better because it took a couple(?) of baths

EDITTED to add a couple thoughts and part of a PM I sent to Mark

Not always a fan of laying it out there as sometimes it can be taken as bashing someone's coin ... but since the grade is posted (I failed to see that), and I believe it is accurate, I'll share why I think that.

When I opened the picture and looked close, I see what I call "dip burn" ... not sure how else to describe it. I could be wrong, it could be die polish or something else. Look behind the Prospector.

Also I do not seem to be able to make out much frost on the devices. Bright and fairly clean, but seems to be missing the "frost".

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    MS67

@pursuitofliberty said:
    Looks like a nice 65, but don't think it's a 66 or better because it took a couple(?) of baths

I don’t understand that comment, as the luster appears to be far more than adequate.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS67

I'm usually wrong on high grade coins, which is why I own very few, but these pics sure look 67 to me.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    MS65

@MFeld said:

@pursuitofliberty said:

I don’t understand that comment, as the luster appears to be far more than adequate.

Everything's relative. It's a very lustrous issue, as a rule. I could see a bump to 66, but 67 seems like a decided long shot. YMMV.

• Options
    MS67

@CoinJunkie said:

@MFeld said:

@pursuitofliberty said:

Everything's relative. It's a very lustrous issue, as a rule. I could see a bump to 66, but 67 seems like a decided long shot. YMMV.

@CoinJunkie said:

@MFeld said:

@pursuitofliberty said:

What, in your opinion, keeps it from 67?

• Options
    MS65

@MFeld said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@MFeld said:

@pursuitofliberty said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@MFeld said:

@pursuitofliberty said:

Lack of original skin and (perhaps imputed) diminished luster. I've seen a large number of these over the years. The superb gems have always been extremely flashy and usually colorful.

• Options
    MS67

@CoinJunkie said:

@MFeld said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@MFeld said:

@pursuitofliberty said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@MFeld said:

@pursuitofliberty said:

Lack of original skin and (perhaps imputed) diminished luster. I've seen a large number of these over the years. The superb gems have always been extremely flashy and usually colorful.

Thank you. The luster/skin might be an issue and I just can't tell from the images. But the lack of much color shouldn't have any bearing

• Options
    MS65

@MFeld said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@MFeld said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@MFeld said:

@pursuitofliberty said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@MFeld said:

@pursuitofliberty said:

Thank you. The luster/skin might be an issue and I just can't tell from the images. But the lack of much color shouldn't have any bearing

I'm viewing the lack of color as an additional forensic device as opposed to something meriting a deduction in its own right. FYI.

• Options
    MS66

I will post a video of it when I have it back in hand. It's a pretty solid coin imho. If if was dipped, it was dipped eons ago, when I bought it, it was in a clearly aged 2x2 dated to the 1970's. I know they dipped plenty of coins back then, just saying if it was treated it wasn't recently. IIRC (It's been a while since I've seen it in hand, I graded it via economy) it had a lot of flash but wasn't in your face flashy like you'd expect a 67 to be.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file