Home Precious Metals
Options

OVERTIME! By 7/29/2022 - 1 Share of Amazon or Equivalent $ of Gold? - I'm talking about a 7/30 Start

MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 29, 2023 4:00PM in Precious Metals

place your bets

over 1 year - which outperforms on a %age basis?

Amazon - price on 7/29/2021: $ 3,327.59

or

Gold - price on 7/29/2021: $ 1,814.30

?

edit: the start date is 7/30/2021

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Comments

• Options

Amazon

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold.
    I remember when Amazon’s P/E was blank because you can’t divide by zero.

thefinn
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2021 2:42PM

HOOD baby. Diamond hands! 💎🙌

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

perhaps I should track silver for blitzdude's amusement?

• Options

OK I'll take gold over amzn and only because I expect a severe market correction within the next 12mo. THKS!

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked platinum last time when they were both 1000.

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

At this time... I would pick the gold... IMO, little to no chance of loss...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazon, just like in the previous years. :)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazon just dropped about 7% more than gold did today, so Amazon has a slight initial advantage for some dip buying near term.

Plenty of free money being handed by the government to assist more shoppers the next 12 months, so I will reluctantly say Amazon, but if I am wrong, I will still win ;)

• Options
    edited July 30, 2021 3:23PM

Charts in OP

gold is down just under 10% since last july which was near all time highs

amazon was trading sideways for 11 months despite the free money. then it broke above it for a month, but has now fallen inside the range again.

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭✭

amazon. I hold no amazon but I have a little gold

Martin

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2021 5:03PM

AMZN. Gold should have shined by now. Everytime we have done this the stock has outperformed metal by a county mile. Maybe this time will be different. Also a reoccurring PM Forum sentiment

I have both so I'll root for both

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2021 7:20AM

Burning up profits to fire up fossil fuel.

• Options

May actually sell a share of $HOOD tomorrow and buy some gutter. I need 3 type 2's for the ASE Danscos.

• Options

if the Dansco's are filled with Type 1 gutter, then putting a Type 2 in would be starting a new collection of Type 2 gutter

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    if the Dansco's are filled with Type 1 gutter, then putting a Type 2 in would be starting a new collection of Type 2 gutter

Perhaps but for now I'll just keep them all in the same album. Should of stuck with gold. The heirs would of certainly been happier although the type 2 dilemma would still persist. Win some lose some. RGDS!

• Options

@blitzdude said:
    May actually sell a share of $HOOD tomorrow and buy some gutter. I need 3 type 2's for the ASE Danscos.

Well maybe half a share. lol

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭

Two weeks in, AMZN is ahead.

• Options

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope all the Amazon people are right because then I’ll be able to buy a lot of Pre-33 gold with profits. Best of both worlds.

• Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

3 years: Amazon...100 Years: Gold. Remember each of the 3 largest retail stocks on the NYSE (prior to WalMart) went bankrupt and to zero: Woolworth, Sears, & Kmart.

• Options

I bought 1 share of Amazon and that's equivalent to 1.85 ounces of gold, (4coin AGE set ) which was purchased at spot... ( minus a premium). We will see in a year.

I think that gold will still be prettier, as seen below.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    I bought 1 share of Amazon and that's equivalent to 1.85 ounces of gold, (4coin AGE set ) which was purchased at spot... ( minus a premium). We will see in a year.

I think that gold will still be prettier, as seen below.

The gold dollar in the Type 2 hole sure looks like a Type 3.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who’s winning today ?

• Options

AMZN

• Options

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold
    Amazon is just paper

• Options

• Options

Once again, just like in previous years, this won't be much of a contest with Amazon whuppin the s--t out of Gold. B)

• Options

Well my only update since the last update is I bought AMZN and no actual gold. If you can't beat them join them as the money makers always say. Lulz.

• Options

Gold is so dull that a crown of it would not make Bezo's head shine any brighter.

• Options
    edited October 31, 2021 8:16AM

@OPA said:
    Once again, just like in previous years, this won't be much of a contest with Amazon whuppin the s--t out of Gold. B)

I dunno.

Until profits are made.... ounce for ounce or pound for pound..... I do better working with gold , UPS and FedEx. Business greases a lot more palms, with those delivery guys , for me.

As investing goes.... it sits and grows.

• Options
    alexercaalexerca Posts: 246 ✭✭✭

You can bet on your gold or you can bet on Amazon. I will bet land in idaho will beat both!

• Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

@alexerca said:
    You can bet on your gold or you can bet on Amazon. I will bet land in idaho will beat both!

You are not wrong my friend!

• Options

Time to plant some potatoes in Idaho. Got to prepare for the End of Time. ;)

• Options

• Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

I don't know about 12 months, but in 100 years or 1000 the gold will be worth much more. Take a look at the largest and most valuable retailers on the NY Stock Exchange historically.

Woolworth was so important it had the ticker symbol Z. It gave way to Sears, another one letter ticker symbol S. Sears gave way to SS Kresge which evolved into KMart (KM), then the world's largest retailer. Sears and KM merged when acquired out of bankruptcy by Eddie Lampert, and then Sears Holdings went bankrupt itself.

Earlier, when Kresge/KMart was enjoying success, Woolworth started Woolco (copycat) which didn't make it. The corporate shell wound up as Foot Locker which for some time maintained the symbol Z.

Along the way Montgomery Ward (symbol M) got acquired by Mobil Oil (formerly Std Oil of NY) which itself was acquired by Exxon (formerly Std Oil on NJ symbol J)

WalMart was one store in 1960, now the world's largest retailer (by sales) but is looking over its shoulder at Amazon.

Companies such as Procter and Gamble that were created around the same time as F.W. Woolworth have managed to evolve and prosper. Retailers don't seem to have that ability.

Take the gold, for the long run.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great synopsis!

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2022 11:45AM

@s4ny said:
    I don't know about 12 months, but in 100 years or 1000 the gold will be worth much more. Take a look at the largest and most valuable retailers on the NY Stock Exchange historically.

Woolworth was so important it had the ticker symbol Z. It gave way to Sears, another one letter ticker symbol S. Sears gave way to SS Kresge which evolved into KMart (KM), then the world's largest retailer. Sears and KM merged when acquired out of bankruptcy by Eddie Lampert, and then Sears Holdings went bankrupt itself.

Earlier, when Kresge/KMart was enjoying success, Woolworth started Woolco (copycat) which didn't make it. The corporate shell wound up as Foot Locker which for some time maintained the symbol Z.

Along the way Montgomery Ward (symbol M) got acquired by Mobil Oil (formerly Std Oil of NY) which itself was acquired by Exxon (formerly Std Oil on NJ symbol J)

WalMart was one store in 1960, now the world's largest retailer (by sales) but is looking over its shoulder at Amazon.

Companies such as Procter and Gamble that were created around the same time as F.W. Woolworth have managed to evolve and prosper. Retailers don't seem to have that ability.

Take the gold, for the long run.

100 years or 1,000 years from now, gold will just be another worth-less antique. The asteroids, moons, planets are abundant in primary minerals, which will make current PM's redundant. That's my take.

edited for proper grammar.

• Options
    TPGSTPGS Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

I own a good bit of gold and silver. I have 12 shares of amazon. AWS could spin off from amazon someday and will be a major player in the metaverse either way. Some pundits predict $10,000 a share in a few years. I know it sounds crazy. But AMZN makes 40% of every dollar spent on the internet. Pretty darn impressive numbers but AWS makes even more money than Amazons internet sales. I believe amazon is THE stock to own.

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

AMZN is THE stock that the Dow wants. Before the 2024 Presidential election, AMZN will do a 10 for 1 split and AMZN will be Added to the Dow as the THE stock in the Dow.

AMZN would be a $5,000.00 stock in short order If it announced a 10 for 1 split…

• Options

@cagcrisp said:
    AMZN is THE stock that the Dow wants. Before the 2024 Presidential election, AMZN will do a 10 for 1 split and AMZN will be Added to the Dow as the THE stock in the Dow.

AMZN would be a $5,000.00 stock in short order If it announced a 10 for 1 split…

AMZN has only split 3 times. Once in 1998 and twice in 1999. They are long over due at 23 years. A 10 for 1 split would give me 120 shares. That would crazy good.
    One reason AMZN has taken 40% of market share of retail internet sales is they run on a razor thin margin. They under cut everyone else. They can do this because the prime membership income fills that gap.

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TPGS said:

@cagcrisp said:

AMZN has only split 3 times. Once in 1998 and twice in 1999. They are long over due at 23 years. A 10 for 1 split would give me 120 shares. That would crazy good.
    One reason AMZN has taken 40% of market share of retail internet sales is they run on a razor thin margin. They under cut everyone else. They can do this because the prime membership income fills that gap.

You have to remember that even if you get 120 shares on a 10 for 1 split that in Theory the price per share should be 10% of the previous level, however, I expect being put in the Dow as the Lead Dog will Increase the share price to $500.00 per share.

AAPL was Lead Dog in the Dow and politically they chose to split to Decrease their influence. I'm expecting AMZN will do just the opposite....

• Options

@cagcrisp said:

@TPGS said:

@cagcrisp said:

You have to remember that even if you get 120 shares on a 10 for 1 split that in Theory the price per share should be 10% of the previous level, however, I expect being put in the Dow as the Lead Dog will Increase the share price to $500.00 per share.

AAPL was Lead Dog in the Dow and politically they chose to split to Decrease their influence. I'm expecting AMZN will do just the opposite....

Yes the value stays the same at the time of the split. I am a buy and hold guy. I accumulate AMZN shares just like a did gold in pre 2007. I don't sweat the price I just aqquire as many shares as I can. At some point AMZN will be to high price for me to buy. Just like gold is for me right now.

• Options

• Options

go gold!

up slightly better than amazon at the end of December

• Options

• Options

I'm still buying gold. RGDS!

• Options

Amazon reports on thur