Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post a coin you're buried in

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

This won't be a popular thread as it is difficult to discuss coins we may have made mistakes in purchasing. Well, here is a cathartic thread for that.

I paid much too much for this little "jewel" and will never recoup my expense. Oh well.
Sobeit!

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2021 12:45PM

Cool coin, dude! What's the grade? :)
    I'll guess, a AG 03?

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably buried with this one because it came back as “Questionable Color” when I submitted it

Mr_Spud

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2021 12:57PM

This one too, because it came back as cleaned

Probably I could get my money back if I cracked them out and sold them as raw, but I have no plans to do so. I wouldn’t want the next person to find out if they end up submitting them.

This one too, it came back as “bent” with no grade.

But at least they all look great to me, so I’m not too worried and enjoy having them in my collection even though they were problem coins that I wasn’t aware that they had problems when I bought them for problem free prices

Mr_Spud

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Cool coin, dude! What's the grade? :)
    I'll guess, a AG 03?

Yep. Spot on. AG3

peacockcoins

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

CoinJunkie

id bought that from you in a second

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too many to mention, (hey you can't WIN if your don't play) but I've never photographed any.....
    I know that, in one of my SDB's, I have a pair of 63 2 1/2's, an Indian and a Lib. I remember buying them about 25 or 27 years ago when they were worth money. I paid 2100 for the pair. They're not even worth half that now.
    I do remember they were awfully nice for 63's though, so I'll have to re-submit before I sell them.....

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM I wish my coin jar looked like that.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    Beefer518Beefer518 Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    Here's a photo. Hopefully it's only a subset of these:

You should make that into a jigsaw puzzle!

I too was a bidiot, and paid waaaaaay too much for this;

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no doubt I may have overpaid for some coins... However, I do not buy tarnished coins, so have avoided that pitfall. I may have acquired some good buys as well... Frankly, I am not really sure, since I have not checked values in many, many years. Not being a dealer - or even a seller - I just enjoy my coins. No doubt sets from the mint were overpaid for :D and value diminished since then. As I think about it, probably overpaid for a CC Morgan or two as I completed my set. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn’t say I’m buried in them, but when I first started collecting I was more interested in filling my type set album as fast as I could. Since I had never seen most of these designs I wasn’t to worried about cleaning or damage, I just wanted to fill the hole. Now I realize I should have taken more time to find better examples. That said I don’t regret it because I didn’t spend a lot of money, and finding all those coins was exciting and gave me the bug to keep collecting. I still have the set and even buy junk to keep filling it with now and again for fun. I avoid the damaged stuff now though.

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:
    I bought this Gettysburg in a PCGS MS64 holder for about 3x sheet ($1200) from Anaconda at a Long Beach show maybe fifteen years ago. I was in my "if it's pretty and I like it, who cares what it costs?" phase (since outgrown). Held it and enjoyed if for many years before selling at about a 50% haircut (through Greattoning, as I recall).

I suspect many folks were buried with Anaconda purchases. Still a beautiful coin!

• Options

I needed a 1927s Peace Dollar and bought one in an online auction. Thought it was a sweet UNC. Came back AU cleaned of course. Only spent 120 plus shipping but I was just starting out and it stung.

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe I was upside down until this year. When I first started And for several years…I amassed coins. Two years ago I had learned enough (these forums and books) to collect.

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not that I haven't made bad purchases over the years (I have!) but I've been lucky in a few ways. First, many of my bad purchases were made early one when I was young and had little to spend, so it was hard to get buried at such a low price level. Second, 14 years ago I went through my collection and sold off a good number of pieces that I didn't love; I haven't sold a coin out of my collection since, and I've been a really picky buyer since then, as well. There are coins I have where I've paid a steep price, but for the quality, I think I'd get the money back (barring the series dropping in value significantly). Now it may be that I've paid a bit more than I should have when I finally found the right example, but I don't think I've done so by an egregious amount. All that said, if I were to find a great example of something that had been eluding me for years and I had to way overpay to get it, there's a good chance I would just to stop hunting, getting buried be damned.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm likely upside-down on this...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess being buried is relative. If 6 feet under represents 100% loss and each foot represents 16.6% increments, then I’ll guess that most of my collection is between 1-2 foot buried. 😱🤔 I truly don’t know.

Then again, one must seek the right sales venue and possess sufficient patience to scrape the dirt away to reach air and relief!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    SIowhandSIowhand Posts: 319 ✭✭✭✭✭

I try not to dwell on it, but I’d imagine I’m buried in most coins. Nothing too tragic that I am aware of.

I’m not a dealer and I don’t get the opportunity to buy at deep discounts like I see people bragging about. I’m the poor fool at the end of the line paying retail for good looking gold coins. The only ‘good’ deals I see are on coins I won’t buy which is why they are priced the way they are.

The only thing that turned out well for me are some common date gold coins that trade for a modest premium over spot. And that’s only because of the rise in the gold price over the last year or so.

I don’t care though. No plans to sell. I’ll let me heirs sort it out and it will be pure profit for them.

• Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 1932-D quarter in MS64 that cost $3,650 at the height of the Washington quarter market in 2001. Current PCGS value is (ouch!) $1,950. It's been in the safe deposit box for so long, I don't have a good photo, but it's in an OGH, so it could bring a bit more.

Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hit the like button because I like the piece. Not because it went south on ya
    Martin

• Options
    PortrossPortross Posts: 82 ✭✭✭

This coin was part of a nearly complete Morgan dollar year set at a local auction house. I paid a few hundred dollars over the value of the other coins. It weighs 26.8 grams, and looks and rings like silver. I thought maybe the obverse was just a weak strike. Nope, a fake strike.

• Options
    JimWJimW Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭

Percentage wise buried - only a couple of coins where if I sold today I'd only lose $100 or so. One of those I'd sell in a heartbeat (and will soon), the other no way (nicely toned late date Walker).
    Thanks for all the great posts everyone - some common experiences we can all relate to :)

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭

</insert any of my modern us mint offerings>

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    OrlenaOrlena Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

Wow, some nice coins listed above - just not at the right prices…. I’m in agreement with a few of the other folks who collect classic commemoratives - I love em but I think they’re a money pit. My Quarter eagles are old enough to maybe be profitable. My proof ASE’s and UK coins probably keep me in the plus column.

The hobby/habit gives me pleasure so that’s what I fall back on.

• Options
    PortrossPortross Posts: 82 ✭✭✭

Thanks, @dcarr for your comments. I see why I was fooled by this coin. Now I can sell it for silver melt and recover some of my loss 🤣

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in 2007, I bought a PCGS MS65 1921 Peace Dollar @ $2850 which was $100 over the PCGS value at that time. I was tinkering with the idea of starting a type set and bought it thinking it was a really nice coin. I don't have a photo. Never started the type collection and over time the coin dropped to $1800 and I kicked myself so many times until last month! Looking at it today it might even CAC.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file