Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Nobody Wants To Collect These Things...

Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭
edited July 26, 2021 3:31PM in U.S. Coin Forum

So I've been cracking them open and leaving for tips at bars and restaurants :)

Comments

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

I usually carry a few AI dollars to toss into tip jars. People really seem to like them actually.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@Coll3ctor said:
    So I've been cracking them open and leaving for tips at bars and restaurants :)

I can hear it now - "That cheapskate left me 4 arcade tokens for a tip" - :D

No, you’re thinking of the New Hampshire AI dollar!

https://www.usmint.gov/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/2021-american-innovation-one-dollar-coin-new-hampshire-uncirculated-reverse.jpg

Interestingly, this is the correct orientation of the reverse.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2021 4:22PM

"No one"?

They would have been worth more than face to someone. :/

• Options

@JBK said:
    "No one"?

I've had them listed here on the BST board and FB forums for several months @ $8.00 per set with zero interest. Selling for under $10.00 on eBay so it's not worth the hassle after fees and shipping.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

I spent 4 SBA dollars the other day on my coffee. I made sure to let them know that they were dollars and not quarters. I remember getting lots of them in change as quarters back in 79.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@JBK said:
    "No one"?

And now they may catch the attention of someone that becomes a collector.

• Options

The Westward Journey Nickel Sets will be the next ones I will crack open or maybe I'll just hand them the whole set. I remember back in the day with the initial craze the sets were selling for near $50.00.

• Options

@Coll3ctor said:

@JBK said:
    "No one"?

I've had them listed here on the BST board and FB forums for several months @ $8.00 per set with zero interest. Selling for under $10.00 on eBay so it's not worth the hassle after fees and shipping.

$8 to $4. Wasn't there any middle ground?

It's the postage that complicates things, of course, but if the quantity can spread that out thin enough then there may have been a buyer.

• Options

@JBK said:

@Coll3ctor said:

@JBK said:
    "No one"?

$8 to $4. Wasn't there any middle ground?

It's the postage that complicates things, of course, but if the quantity can spread that out thin enough then there may have been a buyer.

No interest, no offers. I had around 10 sets now I'm down to 4.

For $2.00 over face per set I'll have more fun spending them.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am thinking there is a good reason many don't want these over FV.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are those things😜

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad these never took off. I wish we used the dollar coin as frequently as Canada uses it. I know the paper dollar isn’t going away due to lobbyists but I think that’s the only way we can get dollar coins being used regularly.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2021 5:17PM

@JBK said:
    "No one"?

I offered a group of statehood quarter rolls (about 30 or 40 of them, I think it was) on the BST back when greysheet bid was $20-$40/roll. The best offer I got would have netted me less than face value after paying to ship them.

Just sayin'.

• Options

@MasonG said:

@JBK said:
    "No one"?

I offered a group of statehood quarter rolls (about 30 or 40 of them, I think it was) on the BST back when greysheet bid was $20-$40/roll. The best offer I got would have netted me less than face value after paying to ship them.

Just sayin'.

There are a few that I would have paid a snall premium for, plus postage.

• Options

@JBK said:

@MasonG said:

@JBK said:
    "No one"?

Just sayin'.

Small premium not worth the time or chance for drama.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

I left so many of these in tips overseas.
    They don't get wet an if they do, they dry quickly.
    The Mexicans also did not want them. lol
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@Coll3ctor said:

For $2.00 over face per set I'll have more fun spending them.

Bingo.

It's not that no one would have paid over face, it's that it wasn't worth it to you.

I had a friend whose mother couldn't sell her condo and he said that no one was buying. The truth was that the market was pretty strongt but she was asking too much.

• Options

@Coll3ctor said:

@JBK said:

@MasonG said:

@JBK said:
    "No one"?

Just sayin'.

Small premium not worth the time or chance for drama.

But your decision to avoid a modest gain does not mean there was no gain to be had. It was your decision.

• Options
    edited July 26, 2021 5:49PM

"But your decision to avoid a modest gain does not mean there was no gain to be had. It was your decision."

There was zero interest in these sets!

Yes it was my decision not to waste any more of my time promoting/packaging/shipping them off for a possible buck per set profit.

Smarter to crack them open and put smiles on peoples face with tips.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

$0.0724360 is the melt value for the 2007-2014 Presidential golden dollar on July 18, 2021. Wonder why nobody wants them. LOL

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

I “collect” them for tips!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2021 8:10PM

I’d just vacuum pack them and put them in storage for posterity. They corrode so easy that one day intact ones might be worth something when all the rest get spent or corrode. For rolls, put them in a mason jar with a desiccant pack in with them and store them away like a time capsule.

It’s funny that people don’t save coins when they are new and cheap and in great condition. But once they are obsolete people will start setting them aside if they come across them even if they are all beat up.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The prezzie bucks never appealed to me... Neither the design nor the theme. Sick and tired of politicians on coins, would like to see a return to art. The Sacagawea is a nice coin. But most of the moderns are either images of politicians or commercialized designs. Just totally disgusted with them. American coinage can be so much better. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭

There's just too much modern junk coming out of the mint. State Quarters were enough, but now they're going overboard. If they're spendable now, they will be spendable 50 years from now.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless a coin has real gold or silver in them, no interest at all as far as I'm concerned.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file