Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1955 Proof nickel with nice toning

gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any ideas on any toning premium?
This coin looks amazing in hand.

Its Proof 68

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

Comments

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would you pay any premium for the coin, based just upon the images yiou provided? I wouldn’t.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    edited July 25, 2021 7:49AM

@MFeld the images suck I know. Everybody wants images that show the color and the slab so this is what my phone can do. My digital scope doesn't capture color well and very difficult to get slab shots with it. You can see the color which is what I wanted people to see. It is a nice PF68 coin in NGC holder.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2021 8:05AM

@gumby1234 said:
    @MFeld the images suck I know. Everybody wants images that show the color and the slab so this is what my phone can do. My digital scope doesn't capture color well and very difficult to get slab shots with it. You can see the color which is what I wanted people to see. It is a nice PF68 coin in NGC holder.

I understand the difficulty with images. But you asked “Any ideas on any toning premium?”, and based on what I can see, my answer is “none”. I’m not trying to be harsh, just honest.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

If your nickel- especially so on the obverse- offers an almost 'gold-plated' appearance, smooth even lustrous (proof) toning I would be all in. I do think it would carry a premium.

peacockcoins

• Options

@braddick it does. i have been trying to take some better photos for the last half hour. If I can manage some I will post them.

• Options

It is easy for your camera (iPhone?) to pick up the clear plastic and thus leave your coin out of focus. I'd tap the yellow box for focusing when the camera app is open and see if it won't then re-focus on the coin instead.
    Looks pretty from here though!

peacockcoins

• Options

@MFeld @braddick ok these are the best photos I can get. Not a slab shot.

• Options

It appears to have ever so slightly 'blotchy' golden toning. In other words, the high points are a bit darker with golden/purple color. I was a bit afraid of that. The premium lies with a smooth golden sheen that is consistent.
    It is still a pretty coin though yet probably doesn't carry a premium over one that is blemish and tone-free.

peacockcoins

• Options

@braddick I think thats just my crappy photos. It is only the golden color with no dark spots. It looks like a coin that has been plated.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's nice but nickels usually turn some sort of color similar to that. I don't think that toning is worth a premium unless you really like it and just happen to see it somewhere.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

Original sets, I bought as displayed in Capitol Plastics Holder, all the nickels do the same thing. Exceptional toning poor pictures.

• Options

I think the OP has proven how hard it is to capture a GREAT looking Nickel 5 cent piece in proof. I try and it's not easy with a cell phone. This isn't Circ Gold or a photo contest.

• Options
    edited July 25, 2021 9:54AM

Original coins "no honesty needed"

There's nothing on that cent..........nothing! That's a reflection the coin would "68"

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

First of all, I would not pay one red cent premium for tarnish - That being said, I am one of the few exceptions. Second, if you are looking to sell it, far better pictures will be necessary. Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭

I like the ice blue color that these nickels occasionally tone to much better than the golden toning.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko I've been meaning to ask. I know you wouldn't pay one red cent for toning (i.e. tarnish), but what about a red-brown one, or maybe even a brown one. I mean, tarnish for tarnish and all. ;)

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty ... I am not a cent collector, except for a couple of large cents that came my way over the years. They are chocolate brown and rarely are seen in red. Copper is a bit different. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad to say coming from a 60 + year Jefferson nickel collector who just sold off my entire graded proof Jeffersons collection.....good luck, it matters not the tone,or grade on the slab....premiums on Jefferson Nickels as well values have been on a steady downward path for decades!
    I have even had dealers whom are good friends tell me they arent interested in nickels and their customers arent either.
    Good Luck I will give away the rest to family and friends before I sell any more at a price that belittles the series.

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file