Home Sports Talk

Worst coaches and managers in sports history

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who are some of the worst coaches and managers in sports history?

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rich Kotite was pretty bad.

Adam Gase.

Buddy bell.

Bell wasn’t just bad with one organization; he stunk up the joint with three different franchises in his managerial career. He posted identical .399 winning percentages in two-and-a-half years with Detroit (184-277) and in two-and-a-half seasons with Kansas City (174-262). His lone winning season was a 82-80 year in 2000 with Colorado.

In parts of nine major league campaigns, Bell finished in last place in his division six times, and never finished above third place.

Despite being an All-Star five times and winning six Gold Gloves, Bell was never involved in any postseason contests. That includes 1,243 games as a manager and 2,405 games as player, equaling a record total of 3,648 playoff-less games he was involved in during his major league existence.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2021 8:37AM

Gene Mauch. ...it's (he's) a no-brainer.

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Dave Campo era with the Dallas Cowboys was pretty forgettable.

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

The good ol days.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2021 8:47PM

Detroit Lions Rod Marinelli. 10–38 including a 0-16 season

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2021 9:30PM

• streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Giants have been around about 140 years. One manager was responsible for the one and only 100 loss season. Not completely. He got canned in September. None other than,

Jimmy Davenport

Have a nice day
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Rich Kotite was pretty bad.

I was ready to post that, but you knocked me out with the second post. :o

He stunk up the joint in Philadelphia, and darned if the Jets didn’t hire him the next season for a repeat performance. He must be excellent in job interviews. :D

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hugh Jackson - coached the Browns to a perfect season 0-16. In total: 3-36-1 in 3 seasons with the Browns.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Norvell Turner

Good offensive coordinator, but absolutely terrible as a head coach!

Steve

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here’s Ray Handley…so just stop posting.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Here’s Ray Handley…so just stop posting.

Absolute legend.

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭

Two legends (as players) to mention:

Magic didn't have much success as head coach with the Lakers. Although, lasted longer as coach than his late night show. He was 5 and 11 before "resigning."

Also, I wasn't a fan back then, but people in SacTown say that Bill Russell was absolutely horrible when he was head coach of the Kings. I just looked it up and he was 17 and 41 before being fired. Now, a lot of coaches have had bad records with the Kings, of course, but he is often mentioned as someone who was just bad as head coach (well liked though).

Just FWIW.

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

@larryallen73 said:
    Two legends (as players) to mention:

Magic didn't have much success as head coach with the Lakers. Although, lasted longer as coach than his late night show. He was 5 and 11 before "resigning."

Also, I wasn't a fan back then, but people in SacTown say that Bill Russell was absolutely horrible when he was head coach of the Kings. I just looked it up and he was 17 and 41 before being fired. Now, a lot of coaches have had bad records with the Kings, of course, but he is often mentioned as someone who was just bad as head coach (well liked though).

Just FWIW.

But Russell coached the Celtics for two seasons and won the championship both years.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

I think this is completely not true. Many in baseball regarded him as one of the best. Yes, a few tough playoff losses where they were on the absolute cusp of victory has done him in. I guess a really terrific man too.

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

no mention of sandusky or nassar yet?

one could make a pretty decent case for patrick mouratoglou.

not only did he cheat, inadvertently admitted to doing it, cost his player a grand slam but also failed to coach her in how to shut up and never insult the judge or rules committee.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2021 1:24PM

I vote for Marty Mornhinweg

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mickey71 said:

@Hydrant said:

I think this is completely not true. Many in baseball regarded him as one of the best. Yes, a few tough playoff losses where they were on the absolute cusp of victory has done him in. I guess a really terrific man too.

As a young kid following the 1964 Phillies, I have to totally disagree. He blew out his starting pitching at the end of season, trying to put the title away, and lost 10 games in a row. He was so obsessed with the platoon system that he would bench a guy hitting .300 to bring in a guy hitting .200 to bat on the other side of the plate. I remember reading in sports magazines about how he’d psych himself out and have the wrong players left in the late innings.

Mauch was not among the worst managers, but he was vastly overrated.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@Mickey71 said:

@Hydrant said:

As a young kid following the 1964 Phillies, I have to totally disagree. He blew out his starting pitching at the end of season, trying to put the title away, and lost 10 games in a row. He was so obsessed with the platoon system that he would bench a guy hitting .300 to bring in a guy hitting .200 to bat on the other side of the plate. I remember reading in sports magazines about how he’d psych himself out and have the wrong players left in the late innings.

Mauch was not among the worst managers, but he was vastly overrated.

You could be totally right. The 64 Phillies had to be a tough pill to swallow. Mauch had basically 3-4 of these type situations. I believe 86 was the toughest of them all. Thing is he did the right moves in that situation. Witt was tiring and he brought in Donnie Moore and the rest is crushing history for an Angels fan. I remember seeing Reggie on the top steps of the dugout and saying to myself that he will have the chance to hit a couple HRs in the World Series and being very excited. Just awful. Plus Donnie Moore never recovered and ends up losing his life.
    My original comment was that Mauch was highly regarded amongst players and other managers.

guess a case could be made for pete rose here too. 😂