Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Fugio Cent. Have you got one?

I've always wanted one of these, but it hasn't happened just yet. Please show a photo if you have one.

Comments

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always liked these.
    Back in the early eighties, I remember shows where I could buy these for 40 or 45 bucks and flip them for a 5 dollar profit. I guess I should have been filling tubes with them instead......

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bennybravo said:
    I've always wanted one of these, but it hasn't happened just yet. Please show a photo if you have one.

Me, too. Can't find one I like at the right price

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someday I’ll get one. Beautiful examples above 👍🏻

Mr_Spud

• Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭

Great examples!!!

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@bennybravo said:

It took me being in 3rd grade to graduating college before I got an NJ copper for that reason. Once I could afford the ones that first caught my eye, my tastes grew faster than my budget.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the first coins I picked up when I got serious about collecting. Still have it somewhere.

• Options
    Fugio1787Fugio1787 Posts: 42 ✭✭✭

What are your other coins for this list?

@messydesk said:
    On my list of 5 coins "required" for a US collection.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully some day I can....

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

have one in F12 with the cac sticker. The pictures are loaded but of course the software upgrade ended the index box so they are there but lost. Anyway its sweet

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@bennybravo said:

It took me being in 3rd grade to graduating college before I got an NJ copper for that reason. Once I could afford the ones that first caught my eye, my tastes grew faster than my budget.

It's just that the planchet quality on the Fugios is so poor that even when you get a nice well-struck XF it tends to have missing design elements.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not have one... Have considered it, but just have not purchased one as yet.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of these days yes

• Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

I don't have one but I would like to some day. Going to have to exceed my self imposed $20 per single item limit it I want to though.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2021 6:28AM

@Fugio1787 said:
    What are your other coins for this list?

@messydesk said:
    On my list of 5 coins "required" for a US collection.

The other 5 "required" coins are a Pillar Dollar, Morgan Dollar, $20 Saint, and Buffalo nickel.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

"MIND YOUR BUSINESS"

I ain't answering.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    HiBuckyHiBucky Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

I dug one with a metal detector .... I remember that day like it was yesterday. That is my only one..

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was a Redbook coin I always wanted as a kid and I have one in a condition I like now as an adult. I agree with @messydesk that collectors should try to include one in their collection. Such an iconic coin.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

You didn't say it had to be pretty. I rescued this from a straight Genuine Slab.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great example that you have Don, really spectacular. With that photo of the hoard I understand why a few hoard coins have fingerprints!

PCGS just reholdered my orginal and restrike sets so they could have photos of all the varities except the R8 ones. So PCGS will now add Newman numbers to holders if requested. Previously only NGC provided the service. As a result I crossed all my Newman collection Fugio coins to PCGS. I also crossed the Partrick gold restrike fugio to PCGS This finally enabled the ability to pass Norweb's redbook set on the registry. Of note, a set or two of Fugios that are not listed on PCGS are likely better than my set. But I really like this series.

• Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow @GoBust that’s some Fugio collection you have- I had no idea of the depth and breadth of your Fugios until you referenced your set in the post. Amazing! And it was good seeing you at FUN- always nice to chat!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 1, 2021 7:28PM

The Fugio is one of the greatest designs with one of the greatest histories.

I'm the current caretaker of this piece after Brent Pogue:

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

I am brand new here. I have this Fugio, it seems to need some conservation. I don’t know how to properly clean it, so I thought I would join this forum and ask. Also, if someone could tell me which type it is, I would appreciate it.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoBust said:
    Great example that you have Don, really spectacular. With that photo of the hoard I understand why a few hoard coins have fingerprints!

PCGS just reholdered my orginal and restrike sets so they could have photos of all the varities except the R8 ones. So PCGS will now add Newman numbers to holders if requested. Previously only NGC provided the service. ...

Do you have a registry set or showcase showing all of these?

• Options
    JimWJimW Posts: 541 ✭✭✭✭

Really nice coins shown here! I have one as well. A nice example of Fine, but net graded with minor Evn Dam.
    It is the only net graded coin I have, was thinking about upgrading recently, but prices have risen dramatically since I bought.
    The only way I'd part with it would be if I had a plan to replace - everyone should own one of these!

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's my example, bought here on the BST a few years ago. NGC VG8.

• Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭

Beautiful posts!

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoping to get a reproduction from someone like Grove mint looking to see who else moonlight or maybe Itaglio🤓. Very happy with the 55 double die from mr.Carr and Grove. Also the flying eagle penny from Grove. The pan-pac octagon from Itaglio. Perhaps a member will have some suggestions 🤓

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

@edjs said:
    I am brand new here. I have this Fugio, it seems to need some conservation. I don’t know how to properly clean it, so I thought I would join this forum and ask. Also, if someone could tell me which type it is, I would appreciate it.

PCGS has a restoration service.

do not experiment with cleaning on your coin!

a dealer can submit it foryou but restoration does have it's fees.

I hope someone on here with expertise can provide the die variety for potential listing on the label

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

@edjs said:

or

you will get more visibility the a totally new discussion

https://forums.collectors.com/post/discussion/u-s-coin-forum

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:

@edjs said:

or

you will get more visibility the a totally new discussion

https://forums.collectors.com/post/discussion/u-s-coin-forum

Thank you for the information. I am definitely not going to do anything myself, I just don’t want it to keep deteriorating. I appreciate your response.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file