Home U.S. Coin Forum

Amazon has a new conditions of use policy

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just received this from Amazon. Conditions of use policy change:

"One of our updates involves how disputes are resolved between you and Amazon. Previously, our Conditions of Use set out an arbitration process for those disputes. Our updated Conditions of Use provides for dispute resolution by the courts." Amazon

I have only purchased a couple of coins through Amazon so this might or might not be an issue for that type of purchase. I have not read the complete policy change. If anyone knows more about this please reply. It does not sound good for disputes. Never had a dispute with a seller nor Amazon purchase.
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

This actually sounds like the reverse of what most companies are doing, which is restricting the ability to file a lawsuit and forcing disputes into binding arbitration. I’d be curious to know why Amazon is moving in the opposite direction.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never bought from Amazon, but not to say I will not one of these days!
    Like @PocketChange said, they are going a different route and I wonder why?

Ken
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strange... but I did receive that notice. I really do not buy items of significant value on Amazon, so cannot imagine going to court for such things. Cheers, RickO

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've made exactly one purchase, for all of $20, through Amazon in the past five years. It was for a book which turned out to be an ex-library copy though no mention of that was made in the description. (Ex-library copy is the kiss of death for book collectors). Fortunately, I only wanted it for the information it contained and was not buying it as a book collector.

All glory is fleeting.
  • ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has to have something to do with the successful Amazon Prime rocket launch...

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably a good thing... to be able to have a court hearing instead of arbitration which seldom works to the buyers advantage (my impression anyways).

----- kj
  • silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

i buy stuff off amazon, never had a issue most stuff i buy is less then $70 , so the new terms and conditions I'm not seeing any real use for court for under $70 buys

anything above that I'll shop elsewhere for that

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I occasionally buy from Amazon and I've never had an issue, but I'm not spending $100's of dollars either...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got that notice, too. I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon but not coins.

• 1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2021 1:27AM

Underinsured motorist provisions with your own insurance company traditionally specified arbitration - something you agree to when you buy the policy. However, in more recent years there has been a trend to allow the insurance company the option of going to court with arbitration having to be mutually agreed to by both the insured and the insurance company.

The change has followed "Tort Reform" which as a concerted effort by the insurance companies has influenced juries to side with the insurance companies as the message has been sent out that paying plaintiffs will increase your own insurance premiums. Arbitration on the other hand was less expensive for the insured and arbitrators tended to award the insureds since the insured had more input into selecting who the arbitrator would be rather than with a random jury.

I am guessing that companies such as Amazon sense that going to court will be a costly deterrent when it comes to disputes as smaller disputes will not merit the cost of doing so for the individual. The filing fee alone is often in the hundreds of dollars depending on the state and they can probably up the expense of going forward by getting the matter transferred to Federal Court in many circumstances. Then too it may be up to several years to get to trial and that has only gotten worse with the backlog of criminal cases which take precedence and will be clogging the Courts for the foreseeable future as few court trials have even been held for over a year now.

• dtenentindtenentin Posts: 2
    edited November 12, 2021 11:09AM

I've never used Amazon directly because I know some sellers who have their own services and work separately from this site. If we talk about it in more detail, I mean those people who have amazon fulfillment services. It's an ample opportunity if you look at the industry from a different angle that I started looking at it at the beginning of my experience. After a year or a year and a half, I managed to find valuable resources that I am still using with great interest because it is very effective.

• streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Amazon has a physical presence in your state, I believe they would have an Agent for Service registered with the Secretary of State.
    In CA, Superior CT, small claims if under(I believe) $7,500.
    No legal maneuvering, very straight forward rules. Present your evidence before a judge or pro tem. Fast decisions. Not allowed to be represented by an attorney. Cost of filing recoverable if judgement in plaintiffs favor.

Have a nice day
  • BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    This actually sounds like the reverse of what most companies are doing, which is restricting the ability to file a lawsuit and forcing disputes into binding arbitration. I’d be curious to know why Amazon is moving in the opposite direction.

The pendulum is swinging the other way. Most arbitration clauses require the company to pay the arbitration fee or anything over a nominal amount. Several law firms have weaponized this

https://www.consumerreports.org/contracts-arbitration/consumers-using-mass-arbitration-to-fight-corporate-giants-a8232980827/

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

The pendulum is swinging the other way. Most arbitration clauses require the company to pay the arbitration fee or anything over a nominal amount. Several law firms have weaponized this

https://www.consumerreports.org/contracts-arbitration/consumers-using-mass-arbitration-to-fight-corporate-giants-a8232980827/

Very interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never bought a coin from Amazon.
    Most likely never will.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

Like everything in the Amazon marketplace, the quality, descriptions, and pricing is set by the seller not Amazon.

That said, it does seem like there are better venues to buy coins.

-----Burton
  • DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:
    Like everything in the Amazon marketplace, the quality, descriptions, and pricing is set by the seller not Amazon.

That said, it does seem like there are better venues to buy coins.

Not necessarily as there are two large exceptions. Some things Amazon themselves will act as a reseller (and not just fulfillment by Amazon) so descriptions and pricing are set by Amazon, and some items are actually Amazon brand where quality, descriptions, and pricing are set by Amazon.

Those are not Amazon Marketplace items @Davideo, those are sold by / fulfilled by amazon.

-----Burton
  • moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WAYNEAS said:
    Never bought a coin from Amazon.
    Most likely never will.
    Wayne

I don't always buy coins from Amazon. But when I do, I buy counterfeit large cents

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file