Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just received my CAC welcoming kit

RubiconRubicon Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
edited July 16, 2021 4:01PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Reposting as somehow my original post got deleted, or was removed intentionally.
I will be submitting some coins that I believe will get gold and green stickers. I can post pictures of the coins if members want to guess if the coins will get gold, green, or no sticker. Please let me know if you want to play along and I will repost the photos

Comments

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Somehow your original post got deleted".

Getting pretty tired of all your alts and your noise posts, you have more of them than flies on fresh lawn sausage. I'll set my phasers to ignore...

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2021 2:55AM

I can see where this thread is going to go :o

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I wondered what happened to your post.

Previous poster said it's best to ship 20 coins at a time to CAC.

I had mentioned 20 coins x $500 average value = $10,000. And asked what is the best way to insure and ship them.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2021 4:08PM

@DisneyFan said:

I had mentioned 20 coins x $500 average value = $10,000. And asked what is the best way to insure and ship them.

Registered mail

You can also buy separate insurance on FedEx or UPS from UPS Capital.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2021 4:36PM

inquire about insurance from shipandinsure.com. :) Once you get set up, you can ship up to a $10,000 limit on two-day priority. Over that, you need next-day priority express, but the insurance rate stays the same up to $75,000 without an additional rider. You arrange for each individual rider (up to the $75K limit) via the website with tracking data.

They also cover other shippers

There is no practical limit to the number of coins you can send in to CAC at any time. As long as you've included a check for the return postage, they're good with your shipment. Your coins will be placed in the queue in the same order as every one else's. Any questions, your call will be returned without a hinky COVID delay.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:

Contact https://shipandinsure.com/default.aspx, a membership with them gives you discounted FedEx rates and highly discounted insurance rates vs the USPS rates.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

Seems certain powerful members on this forum are afraid of controversy and opinionated people. Therefore they censor and get rid of people they don’t agree with. I made a slight critique of CAC and the lords got upset with me. But have they ever considered that not all collectors are sophisticated like them. Neophyte collectors do not understand that a coin can have a ton of tarnish and still get a green or gold sticker because it will grade higher without the tarnish. They purchase that coin thinking it’s a great coin not realizing that it’s not attractive at all and can be difficult to sell later on to collectors who understand the value of eye appeal. The Detector member who was extremely critical of CAC hasn’t been banned nor has pnhc1 in that ridiculous 600 1946 walker thread, where he

• Options

@Rubicon said:
    Seems certain powerful members on this forum are afraid of controversy and opinionated people. Therefore they censor and get rid of people they don’t agree with. I made a slight critique of CAC and the lords got upset with me. But have they ever considered that not all collectors are sophisticated like them. Neophyte collectors do not understand that a coin can have a ton of tarnish and still get a green or gold sticker because it will grade higher without the tarnish. They purchase that coin thinking it’s a great coin not realizing that it’s not attractive at all and can be difficult to sell later on to collectors who understand the value of eye appeal. The Detector member who was extremely critical of CAC hasn’t been banned nor has pnhc1 in that ridiculous 600 1946 walker thread, where he

Careful. You don't seem to have learned anything from 2 bannings (at least) and now a thread deletion.

If "powerful members" were running the show, I'd be gone. You need to know where the lines are for PCGS. There are limits to how much corporate criticism can be made, for obvious reasons.

• Options
    edited July 16, 2021 4:53PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Rubicon said:

Careful. You don't seem to have learned anything from 2 bannings (at least) and now a thread deletion.

If "powerful members" were running the show, I'd be gone. You need to know where the lines are for PCGS. There are limits to how much corporate criticism can be made, for obvious reasons.

I don’t see why my 2 threads from yesterday suddenly dissapeared. What’s going on. I didn’t do anything to insult or demean anyone. I was respectful to all. I thought this forum was a free and open exchange of ideas. I have been insulted and attacked for a innocent CAC thread which was legitimately questioning one small concept of CAC grading. It was a reasonable thought provoking question.

• Options

@Rubicon said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Rubicon said:

I don’t see why my 2 threads from yesterday suddenly dissapeared. What’s going on. I didn’t do anything to insult or demean anyone. I was respectful to all. I thought this forum was a free and open exchange of ideas. I have been insulted and attacked for a innocent CAC thread which was legitimately questioning one small concept of CAC grading

Again, forum members do not dictate the rules.

This forum is a private corporate-sponsored forum. It is NOT free and open.

Some people were rude to you. I agree. Some of them cannot refrain, all the while thinking they are without fault. HOWEVER, that is unlikely the problem. A lot of CAC threads meet a similar fate. You can learn this or continue to repeat the cycle.

• Options

@Rubicon said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Rubicon said:

I don’t see why my 2 threads from yesterday suddenly dissapeared. What’s going on. I didn’t do anything to insult or demean anyone. I was respectful to all. I thought this forum was a free and open exchange of ideas. I have been insulted and attacked for a innocent CAC thread which was legitimately questioning one small concept of CAC grading

I thought it would be interesting to exchange ideas on how my coins would do at CAC. Members asked me to post my photos and now they are gone?

• Options

@Rubicon said:

@Rubicon said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Rubicon said:

I thought it would be interesting to exchange ideas on how my coins would do at CAC. Members asked me to post my photos and now they are gone?

I don't know why it was deleted. I wasn't following it that closely. But whining about it here is not a good idea is all I'm saying.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2021 5:09PM

@Rubicon said:

Reposting as somehow my original post got deleted, or was removed intentionally.
    I will be submitting some coins that I believe will get gold and green stickers. I can post pictures of the coins if members want to guess if the coins will get gold, green, or no sticker. Please let me know if you want to play along and I will repost the photos

not necessarily proof but here you are from april talking about a cac submission

you "just received" your welcome kit?

but that could be neither here nor there.

one of the deleted threads started with a question about how a specific coin could cac. this flows with past threads from past alts HACing on CAC.

I respect the opinion of one posted who didn't like the talk of banning.

In one of those two deleted posts, I posted links to threads where you were asking about grading. then there are deleted and closed threads where you are questioning cac. you have question about grading yet question cac's judgment?

I sense an axe to grind. So, I -- in not in any such words -- previously indicated I wouldn't mind this alt to disappear again for the additional-th time. So, that's that.

===========

as you are someone who asks questions about grading, stick to that instead of CAC HACs and you will fit in fine.

(and to get better opinion on grades for your stuff, you'll need better photos)

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:

@Rubicon said:

not necessarily proof but here you are from april talking about a cac submission

you "just received" your welcome kit?

but that could be neither here nor there.

one of the deleted threads started with a question about how a specific coin could cac. this flows with past threads from past alts HACing on CAC.

I respect the opinion of one posted who didn't like the talk of banning.

In one of those two deleted posts, I posted links to threads where you were asking about grading. then there are deleted and closed threads where you are questioning cac. you have question about grading yet question cac's judgment?

I sense an axe to grind. So, I -- in not in any such words -- previously indicated I wouldn't mind this alt to disappear again for the additional-th time. So, that's that.

===========

as you are someone who asks questions about grading, stick to that instead of CAC HACs and you will fit in fine.

(and to get better opinion on grades for your stuff, you'll need better photos)

Okay fine I respect your opinion.

• Options

@tommy44 said:
    Since this will be your first submission use it as a learning experience. You may be the pickiest buyer and best grader out there but then again you may not be. If they don't all pass don't take it personally. Include a note asking for an explanation for those that don't pass.

I did that on my first submission and 4 out of 12 passed. They were returned with a note to call JA. When we connected he actually had notes and pictures of the coins that did not pass and went over then with me. I listened, looked at the coins and agreed with everything he had to say about them. On my second submission of 20 coins I was a little more critical and 14 of 20 passed. I'm still learning but I think I'm getting better.

Thanks for your valuable feedback

• Options
    panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommy44 said:
    Since this will be your first submission use it as a learning experience. You may be the pickiest buyer and best grader out there but then again you may not be. If they don't all pass don't take it personally. Include a note asking for an explanation for those that don't pass.

I did that on my first submission and 4 out of 12 passed. They were returned with a note to call JA. When we connected he actually had notes and pictures of the coins that did not pass and went over then with me. I listened, looked at the coins and agreed with everything he had to say about them. On my second submission of 20 coins I was a little more critical and 14 of 20 passed. I'm still learning but I think I'm getting better.

That is exactly how you get a few hundred dollars of value for every $16 you do, or don't, pay CAC. I did the same thing.

• Options

Posting photos of my coins that I will be submitting to CAC with my own predictions. Please forum members give me your own opinions.

!
    (https://us.vcdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/yy/0qyw3gfjop6h.png "")

So I think the penny green.
    Nickel gold
    Dime gold
    Quarter gold
    Half dollar gold

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I recall last night I posted to a thread of yours about your new CAC submission and suggested that you write down your predictions prior to submission and then share them with someone. It looks like you agree with that idea and are posting at least some opinions here.

In my case I sent the list of coins (nearly 80-of them!) to a trusted friend and well-respected numismatist (who also posts on these boards) prior to submitting them to CAC. This was back in 2008 and I still have the PM conversation. It was an interesting experience.

From your images I would guess all five coins shown get a sticker, but I can't tell anything else from those images. Good luck!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@TomB said:
    If I recall last night I posted to a thread of yours about your new CAC submission and suggested that you write down your predictions prior to submission and then share them with someone. It looks like you agree with that idea and are posting at least some opinions here.

In my case I sent the list of coins (nearly 80-of them!) to a trusted friend and well-respected numismatist (who also posts on these boards) prior to submitting them to CAC. This was back in 2008 and I still have the PM conversation. It was an interesting experience.

From your images I would guess all five coins shown get a sticker, but I can't tell anything else from those images. Good luck!

Are the images good you think or are some needing a better photo

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The images you posted are, for the most part, lacking in sufficient quality for grading purposes. For example, the Buff is a tad blurry and has light glare. Good luck with your submission. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking coins but hard to make a definitive decision from the photos. It's almost impossible to grade from photos, even good ones, and yours are a bit fuzzy. Absolutely worth sending them in, especially if you are shooting for a all CAC type set. you could learn a lot.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭

TPG's may not like their grades critiqued by CAC. So I can understand why the are sensitive to a fourth party opinion.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2021 8:57AM

@fiftysevener said:
    TPG's may not like their grades critiqued by CAC. So I can understand why the are sensitive to a fourth party opinion.

I disagree, as BOTH PCGS and NGC are encouraging their members to get their coins submitted to CAC, as follows:
    1. PCGS has developed Registry CAC Composite sets that REQUIRE PCGS graded coins to have CAC stickers.
    2. NGC started in mid May giving EVERY coin in their Registry sets extra points for coins with CAC’s.

Like it or not, the merits and acceptance of CAC’s has been growing in our hobby, and that is recognized by:
    1. The two above points.
    2. The owners of the Greysheet publishing a separate stand-alone publication of Retail CAC values.
    3. Major auction houses - Heritage, StacksBowers, Legend, etc. now publish CAC values and pops for their lots.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:

@fiftysevener said:

I disagree, as BOTH PCGS and NGC are encouraging their members to get their coins submitted to CAC, as follows:
    1. PCGS has developed Registry CAC Composite sets that REQUIRE PCGS graded coins to have CAC stickers.
    2. NGC started in mid May giving EVERY coin in their Registry sets extra points for coins with CAC’s.

Like it or not, the merits and acceptance of CAC’s has been growing in our hobby, and that is recognized by:
    1. The two above points.
    2. The owners of the Greysheet publishing a separate stand-alone publication of Retail CAC values.
    3. Major auction houses - Heritage, StacksBowers, Legend, etc. now publish CAC values and pops for their lots.

Most of my certified coins are CAC verified so I accept and understand the merits of fourth party verification. I just don't think either TPG's like their grades put in 2 or 3 different value categories. Like the rest of us they see the writing on the wall. And of course auction houses relish a CAC sticker that adds value obviously because it brings more commission on the sale. Greysheet values really only affect transactions with dealers as I have found my auction purchases quite often are won over dealer bids (which must confound them) which in numbers and over time tend to cause values to rise. What's interesting is that JA must have realized that there wasn't room for another major TPG rather better building a sight unseen network for coins he has hand picked.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:

That was me.

I had explained that shipandinsure allows $75k max on USPS Express so thats how I ship my big $ boxes now, box within a very large box, taped to hell and fully insured. Basically, $4k-$10k goes USPS Registered and insured through shipandinsure, $10k+ goes USPS Express w/ insurance through shipandinsure.

Before I had a shipandinsure account, I was doing anything over $3k via registered mail and fully insured through USPS. Most expensive I've shipped was $50k in a package.

If I was shipping, say a $75k package at that time, I'd break it into two packages to stay under the $50k limit.

With the $75k max now, I still won't go over that even though I can stack the USPS insurance on top of shipandinsure's. It's more cost effective to just ship/insure two boxes. I don't play in the rarified air of 5 figure coins so this isn't an issue I see myself ever really having.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

@fiftysevener said:

@winesteven said:

@fiftysevener said:

1. The two above points.

Most of my certified coins are CAC verified so I accept and understand the merits of fourth party verification. I just don't think either TPG's like their grades put in 2 or 3 different value categories. Like the rest of us they see the writing on the wall. And of course auction houses relish a CAC sticker that adds value obviously because it brings more commission on the sale. Greysheet values really only affect transactions with dealers as I have found my auction purchases quite often are won over dealer bids (which must confound them) which in numbers and over time tend to cause values to rise. What's interesting is that JA must have realized that there wasn't room for another major TPG rather better building a sight unseen network for coins he has hand picked.

There is a lot of conjecture here.

JA is in the wholesale coin business, hence the stickers. JA does not make any money on the stickers. So I do not see any evidence that JA had any interest in starting a grading service.

There has never been any friction between CAC and the TPGS. JA also isn't the first person to apply stickers. I'm aware of no friction with MAC, CAC, WINGS, Eagle Eye or anyone rise.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file