Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Testing CAC First time to see its legitimacy

I am sending 5 coins to CAC as a test not only for my own validation but to see how legitimate they are, or if they sticker coins they want to buy or promote for their own interests

Comments

• Options
    robbylu52robbylu52 Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

Coins are as follows: 1945 ms 65 walker 1926 ms 65 buffao 1935 ms66 red lincoln and a 1942 ms65 fb mercury

• Options

Will be happy to post photos if anybody wants to see these coins.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me thinks you've tipped them off.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

What do you mean?

• Options

Are you serious Bryce M or making fun?

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robbylu52 said:
    Will be happy to post photos if anybody wants to see these coins.

Please!

Vplite99
  • Options

This is no joke. Took me a few months to assemble these 5 coins from DLRC having returned a few that weren’t super appealing, after spending many days and hours looking at their coins

• Options

To an untrained eye they could have passed for 66 grades and there are probably quite a few similar to my coins that have made it into 66 holders, all are pcgs graded btw

• Options

I will post the results in a few weeks expecting all or 4/5 to green sticker

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep... IBTL

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

It will be useful of course to me but if it makes some useful input to the people who scratch their heads on why their coins didn’t green sticker, just letting them know that these are the strictest common coins you could imagine for the grade that are being submitted by me, and if they don’t sticker I will never understand their thinking unless it’s politics and self promotion

• Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

So...where are your pictures?

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robbylu52 said:
    It will be useful of course to me but if it makes some useful input to the people who scratch their heads on why their coins didn’t green sticker, just letting them know that these are the strictest common coins you could imagine for the grade that are being submitted by me, and if they don’t sticker I will never understand their thinking unless it’s politics and self promotion

Feels like dejavu all over again.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭✭

I believe the coins are valued at Walker $105, Buffalo $220, Lincoln $60, Mercury Dime $45, Franklin Proof $85. These are full retail values from a price guide. Grey sheet shows a bump of $30 for the Buffalo. They do not show values for the other coins in the grades you posted. At least not in the printed edition.

That Mercury dime will not increase $10 in value. I believe that is true because occasionally I buy CAC coins. On less expensive Morgans, I have been able to buy them for the same as non stickered coins or maybe $10 more. This is for coins in the $100 to $500 range. Which is more than the coins you are sending in.

Even gold coins aren't getting big increases unless they are 4 or 5 figures and up. I bought three $2.50 Indians recently and they were all PCGS. Two had stickers and one did not. I paid $15 more for the ones with stickers than the one without. These were not high end but were $600 coins.

Just a little information that I hope will be of some use to you. From what I have seen, if you go 5 for 5 you will still pay more to get your stickers than they will increase in value.

In any case, it should be a fun experiment for you and I wish you luck with it.

• Options

Well I am not sure what qualifies as accurate. I have been collecting for 30 years, attended coin shows examining many coins, and picking very selectively. I also have a good eye as I have been a diamond dealer 40 years, trained with a 10x loupe so I do feel confident in my eyes viewing coins up to ms65.

• Options

Posting pictures first regular than blown up images

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

I don’t have professional grading experience but still fairly qualified as a seasoned collector like many of you. Not a neophyte

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck and be sure to let us know how you make out. JA will tell you why a coin didn't CAC if you ask him.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bueno suerte

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh dear. :o

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robbylu52 said:

What’s the dark area to the right of the 2 in the date? It looks like a carbon fleck. And what are the dark areas on each side of the Y in LIBERTY?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

IBTL ... good luck !

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Sorry photo not perfect from my phone. Absolutely no carbon on dime or any coin in this small collection. No carbon debris, spots uneven toning, nada. Mercury dime has slight luster break near edge but looks absolutely like a coin out of a roll, spectacular luster.!Walking liberty absolutely full strike like a proof coin, fully lustrous, with minor chatter in right field, but not distracting for a ms 65 seen some 66 with more chatter. Walking liberty photo not as sharp as others, caught the reflection of my incandescent light bulb mark Feld

• Options

@Gazes said:
    So if one the most respected graders in numismatics does not agree with you, then you conclude that CAC is not legit?? How about if he does not agree with you then you dive deeper into why and maybe you will learn something?

Very well said.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

Buffalo light-medium toning very strong luster great strike, consistent with a 1926 coin no distracting marks, but above average still, 1935 ms 65 red blazing fresh luster 100% red not 1 carbon spot fully struck. Franklin Cameo 100% untoned without any spots or haze, black and white look. That’s the rest Mark.

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is like saying "I'm going to buy some stuff at Walmart to see if that chain store is a passing fad".

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

We certainly need one of those 'shaking my head' emoji's....... :#;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

Is it possible JA favors coins he likes or sells or promotes with his own customers. Just asking I don’t know him well outside of knowing he is a world class grader

• Options

I didn’t say I didn’t respect JA opinions over my very limited expertise. Just know these few 65 coins are top notch. I comment on what I personally understand well and can see after looking at hundreds of other similar coins in the same grade and series being advertised by coin companies. I compared a few hundred photos and looked at many low eye appeal average coins at shows to make my conclusions. I don’t profess any special knowledge outside 20th century type coins which I mainly collect

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robbylu52 said:
    This is no joke. Took me a few months to assemble these 5 coins from DLRC having returned a few that weren’t super appealing, after spending many days and hours looking at their coins

What makes you think DLRC did not already attempt to have them stickered? If not then they felt them to be unworthy.

What makes you think JA hasn't seen your post?

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options

@robbylu52 said:
    Is it possible JA favors coins he likes or sells or promotes with his own customers. Just asking I don’t know him well outside of knowing he is a world class grader

CAC evaluates and stickers all sorts of coins that they’d have no interest in handling. And a very large portion of their business is done on a wholesale basis. They are not a promoter in the sense that the word is typically used.

This discussion has been closed.