Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What was your best pack pull of all-time?

PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine was back in 2008-2009 I pulled a Sidney Crosby game used jersey auto numbered to 100 SPX.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

Comments

• Options
    SoxPatsFanSoxPatsFan Posts: 197 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2021 3:37PM

In 1988 (or so) I bought a few packs of 1984 Donruss for $6 each and got a Don Mattingly RC. It was worth $100, one of the most valuable modern cards in the hobby at the time. Maybe not my most valuable pull ever, but it's my best memory of a pack pull.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Around 2003, I bought a $20 box from Toys R Us. They had these things where you'd get 10-20 packs of random brands of stuff for whatever sport you picked. And they came with a bonus item. Sometimes the bonus item was lame - stickers or a 5-cent toy. Other times it was great - like a pack of Bowman's Best with a guaranteed auto or jersey in it.

Anyway, I bought one and it had a pack in it that had a Walter Payton jersey card in it. Sold it for something like $150.

• Options
    CARDSANDCOINSCARDSANDCOINS Posts: 340 ✭✭✭

2003 MICHAEL JORDAN SWEET SHOT AUTO

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few favorite pulls.
    1986. Jose Canseco rc out of a 1986 Donruss box. Card was sorta warm for a couple years.
    1994. Score Football. The Marshall Faulk redemption card.
    1996. Leaf Limited Black Lumberjack Frank Thomas.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Around 2010 I opened a pack of 7th series wacky packages I paid $7.50 for and scored a “Grime Heavy Chunks” card that ended up grading a PSA 10. Worth about $700-800.

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

Circa 2006
    Ripped a $1,350 BBCE 75 mini box
    Pulled a PSA 8 Brett

Aside from that, I have pulled zip!

Nice to see the UFFDAH PSA 8 (8.5 to me) Jimmy.

• Options
    Historicalwood71Historicalwood71 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Well, it was on Madden ultimate team and....

• Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

Set up at a card show that I was co-promoter on and a dealer friend overbought 1994 Upper Deck baseball, "the Central" boxes, and was selling them real cheap. I bought one box and as I was sitting there I realized I pulled a special card and could not believe it. Staring back at me was the Mickey Mantle, Ken Griffey Jr. dual signed autograph insert. To say I was shocked would be an understatement.

I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

In 1992, I purchased a pack of 1990 Leaf for $5 (which was and still is a lot for just a pack of cards) and I pulled out the second best card in the set - the Griffey. I remember I was so happy about that one. I was with my buddy and we were jumping up and down. I have pulled out more valuable since but as a 12 year old at that time, that was the best (and still is) the best pack pulled card I ever did get. The card is long gone today but the memory is as fresh as yesterday.

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

The one and only Donruss baseball card pack I ever bought, as a teenager in 1986, and I pulled the Canseco rookie. It was a huge ($100) hit at that time.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 2008 I pulled a 1/1 King George III cut auto from Allen & Ginter.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/672857

• Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

About ten years ago when BBCE had all of those '75 rack packs, I pulled a Yount RC that got a PSA 9. The same pack also had a Jim Rice RC in it (that PSA said had "Evidence of Trimming").

I also opened some 2001 Topps Traded around that same time and pulled a Pujols RC that graded a PSA 10.

Wish I had both of those back.

2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭

Judge auto /15

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2021 11:55AM

It's hard to recall them all but here are a few:

The best one I recall - 1971 Pete Rose - PSA 8 from a rack pack - The video on Youtube shows me pulling it
    1973 Willie Mays - PSA 9 - wax pack
    1960 Jim Kaat - PSA 8 - from a cello pack
    1981 Joe Montana - PSA 9 - from a cello pack
    1972 Roberto Clemente - PSA 8 - from a wax pack

• Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

1968 Topps Nolan Ryan Rookie
    1969 Reggie Jackson Rookie
    plus others...
    wish I would've kept them

Rob
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

Good luck with the Gretz!

That Bird/Magic 9 is killer!

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2021 8:24PM

I pulled a 76 Topps Carew that graded PSA 10. I think I was 9 years old at the time. It was part of my very first rookie sub. Still, pound for pound, the best sub I've ever had! :)

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s been raining for seemingly forever here and I have had this pack of 93 Finest staring at me for months. I was going to send the pack in but, I’m ok with the results! Not my best pull but not bad.

Otherwise way too many to mention that I no longer have, however this Yount I still have and have kept it because I pack pulled it. I did think it had a chance as well....

• Options
    CrashingwavesCrashingwaves Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

I primarily collect UFC/MMA items and some old school wwf cards. Pulled this rookie Jon Jones red nickname auto /25 in 2010 when I was just starting to collect UFC cards (first lic release was in 2009). Still one of my favorite UFC cards and hope to see Jones fight at HW.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, it's starting to look like the 2018 Topps Chrome Ohtani Gold refractor I pulled (that came back a PSA 10) is going to be it.

Arthur

• Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Well, it's starting to look like the 2018 Topps Chrome Ohtani Gold refractor I pulled (that came back a PSA 10) is going to be it.

Arthur

Winner winner chicken dinner! That's awesome.

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options

my son pulled a 2000 playoff absolute tom brady rookie numbered 131/3000. graded a psa 8. he also pulled a 2005/06 ITG heroes and prospects Ovechkin rookie auto.

• Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭

@graygator said:
    March 2016 I bought three loose packs of 2004 Heritage at a card shop and pulled this.

Great autograph…thanks for sharing.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2021 10:23AM

Here's a few of mine. The Shaq /15 and Griffey I pulled on the same day from loose packs bought at the LCS. Trout was out of a blaster box back in 2009. I try not to look at the prices of that Trout now.

• Options
    PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 302 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2021 10:38AM

Charizard (Pokemon Base set) as an elementary school kid. I remember opening the pack right there in the card shop. I still have the card today.

• Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2021 11:16AM

Not technically pack pulled...pulled from sealed 1987 Tiffany set. Also pulled a 1987 OPC Bonds that graded PSA 9 but don't have a scan here at work.

• Options

@PNWcollector said:
    Charizard (Pokemon Base set) as an elementary school kid. I remember opening the pack right there in the card shop. I still have the card today.

No pic?

Great memory to have for a non-sport card. Thanks for sharing.

Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭

Best Pulls Ever!

Not technically a Pack Pull, but close enough!

In 1962 Southland opened the first or close to it 7-11 in Sacramento Ca. About a mile from our house. This began a tradition for a couple of years of me walking a mile on Sundays to 7-11 with my dad to pick up the Sunday paper! So I was 6-8 years old as this transpired. In front of the 7-11 was a Duel Sided Card Vending machine. I don't remember what all was in the machine, but basically anything 1961-64. But for 5-6 months at first, one side was 1962 Topps Bubbles Mars Attackss with Non Saunders Art.

I Was In Love!

They were vended at first, 5 cards for a penny, then at some point it went to 10 cards for a nickel. My Dad would give me a nickel when the were a penny and a quarter when they went up!

I had about 10-12 complete Mint sets when I was done, and of course they are all long gone, but I still have the memory!

YeeHah!

Neil

• Options
    PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 302 ✭✭✭✭

@threeofsix said:

@PNWcollector said:

No pic?

Great memory to have for a non-sport card. Thanks for sharing.

It's in a binder at my parents' house. Should be in decent condition, the card store owner gave me a penny sleeve to put it in as soon as I pulled it. I did take it out occasionally to hold the card.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great story Neil!

mint_only_pls
  • Options

Another great non-sport story…with Mars Attacks no less….thanks for sharing!

Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought the last pack of topps gold label hockey at a 7-11 here back in 1999 and pulled a 1/1 red variation Goal Race to '99 Eric Lindros .

• Options
    lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭

Bought a 2009 Topps Magic box at Walmart for $11. Pulled an Adrian Peterson auto I sold for $254.

• Options
    raiderscottraiderscott Posts: 154 ✭✭

1997 Upper Deck Legends Tony Dorsett auto

Looking for low #'d 2006 Marques Hagans + 1991 Wild Card stripes of UVA players - Tony Covington, Shawn Moore, Herman Moore
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:

/thread

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭

1972 OPC Roberto Clemente In Action, came back PSA 9

• Options

@BPorter26 said:
    I believe I pulled this card about 6 years ago. A buddy an I would frequent this candy store warehouse outside of Charlotte NC every several months. They had boxes of wax from the 80's to current product. Unfortunately that candy store warehouse which is still around has now been picked dry and doesn't carry any newer product as they don't back fill.

Anyway that day we picked up a bunch of wax including 4 boxes of Topps Stadium Club Basketball series 2. Two for me and two for my buddy. The first box for either of us didn't yield much as far a BEAM TEAM star power. As we started ripping boxes 3 and 4 respectively, I see I have a beam team in my pack and my buddy the same thing. I slowly pull the top card away from the bottom in which has the Beam Team and BOOM Shaquille O'Neal and literally ten seconds later from my pull, my buddy yells out "YES" as Hawk Harrelson used to calling the White Sox games and he pulls the Michael Jordan Beam Team. You talk about two 40 year old's jumping around like little kids high fiving each other as we just won a World Championship! Throw away the money aside and it's these type of moment's is why I enjoy this hobby. A few months later we send these two bad boys to New Port Beach and here is the end result.

FANTASTIC STORY!!!!

…Oh when the stars align!!!

Thanks for sharing.

Live long, and prosper.