Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Grading Rookie Seeks Advice about Gretzky Rookie

Hi everyone,

New member, first post. I have never had any cards graded. I am planning to submit this card for grading and am wondering about what declared value & service level to choose. I realize this is an imprecise evaluation at best and even more so based solely on photos, but would appreciate any thoughts from this community.

I know the card is authentic and unaltered: I got it from a pack I opened myself as a kid in front of the corner store and have preserved it with all my hockey cards since then. Many of those other cards are being transferred to toploaders for future consideration about whether to grade once bulk options reopen.

Photos follow, two with the card in a plastic case, two with it removed. I don't know what the dot on reverse side is (below the h in "the" is), it appears to be a spot where ink was not deposited. I will track down a loupe and scrutinize more closely when able.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Comments

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

Nice reprint! Just kidding... You declare it for what you want to get paid if they lose it or break it, and/or for the amount of service level you want to pay. Of course if it grades higher, they will upcharge you, but that is a good thing.

Pics aren't high res, so can't be definitive, but looks like a 6-9 range. We'll say 8 for discussion.

For $200 it can be worth $2499 (that's PSA 5 value, so this option is out)
    For $300 you get up to $4999 (PSA 6 value, PSA 7 is closer to $6k, but you probably could get away with it)
    For $600 up to $9999 (PSA 8 is over $15k, so probably gonna get an upcharge, so might still make sense to $300 it, just in case it does not hit and you don't waste $300, if you care about $300.
    $1000 is good for $25k
    $5000 for a PSA 9 at up to $250k (psa 9 is 150k)

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

$300 level min. you'll get it back within 10 days vs a month. you might even get upcharged. hopefully. 😉

amazing card. w the "first print" skate lines too.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

The earlier post is definitely just joking with you about reprint. If that one isn't real, then it is the most convincing fake I've ever seen, and I've studied these Gretzky RCs a lot. You have a very nicely centered OPC example there; congrats and good luck with the grade!

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

That's a damn nice card. I'd hope for an 8 on it.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

I, too, would submit at the $300 level and hope for an upcharge. I think you are throwing money away if you go any higher than that.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2021 12:02PM

That's a really great card, I would say the off register blue on the front might relegate it to a 7. Definitely sub it at $300

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice card, I think it will grade a 7.

• Options
    MrTimMrTim Posts: 16 ✭✭

Thanks for all the help so far everyone. This is great. I appreciate you taking the time to help out. I will keep watching this thread and for sure follow through and post however this turns out.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the boards!

Beautiful card.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats. That is a very nice looking 7.

• Options
    BJY83BJY83 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

Congratulations. What service did you submit it under?

Brian

• Options

Congrats on the 7, I'm guessing you got a 7 due to surface issues, however faint.

• Options

was hoping it’d 8 for you. think the two-toned blue upper right area mixed w the red oil drip oc got ya. plus they are grading really, really tough right now. but still, thats one hellavu card. congrats!

• Options

I was hoping for better as well. I submitted it at the 300 level (super express). I did receive an upcharge to 600 (walk-through), however. Average price today is 6,288.00 so I have to acknowledge the upcharge is per guidelines.

I was briefly excited by the email notifying me of the charge, hoping that it had graded better, but that was not the case. Ultimately this card is one of my favourites and it will look great in the slab. My initial investment was $CAD0.20, so the appreciation is still pretty good!

On to the rest of my cards, doing my homework while the backlog clears. Someday I'll probably be looking to do a few bulk submissions and will likely post more questions as I prepare.

Thanks again!

• Options
    edited July 28, 2021 9:59AM

That is pretty crappy on the up charge, in a sense they took a 25% cut of the $1200 overage! At least one sold Monday on PWCC for $8k

• Options

@MrTim said:
    I was hoping for better as well. I submitted it at the 300 level (super express). I did receive an upcharge to 600 (walk-through), however. Average price today is 6,288.00 so I have to acknowledge the upcharge is per guidelines.

I was briefly excited by the email notifying me of the charge, hoping that it had graded better, but that was not the case. Ultimately this card is one of my favourites and it will look great in the slab. My initial investment was $CAD0.20, so the appreciation is still pretty good!

On to the rest of my cards, doing my homework while the backlog clears. Someday I'll probably be looking to do a few bulk submissions and will likely post more questions as I prepare.

Thanks again!

take solace in knowing that yours would most likely sell for way more than the average $6288 right now. if you want me to prove it, whats your paypal address? 😉

• Options

Same boat here (not greatest of pics, but what I had as scanner went down)....FYI, it was subbed a few weeks ago and is in encapsulation stage, just curious as thoughts/opinions of grade...sorry about the poor resolution photos and thanks in advance...

• Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

@thebighurt35 said:
    Same boat here (not greatest of pics, but what I had as scanner went down)....FYI, it was subbed a few weeks ago and is in encapsulation stage, just curious as thoughts/opinions of grade...

I think that will return as a 3

• Options

Preparing for 3, hoping for 4....tight call as card presents well. Thanks for the opinion. Who ever knows until it pops.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

I was gonna say 3, maybe 4 as well.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options

Here is the cert: https://psacard.com/cert/63150045.

On local truck out for delivery. (looks out window, nope not yet, waits 10 seconds, how 'bout now? nope ... repeats)